Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
I do.

11-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like the other here, I'll carry two bodies if the situation calls for it.

Events such as Ironfast will see two bodies on double black rapid strap,
typical two-body line-ups for me are:

one for still images and one for video
one long lens and one wide lens
one standard zoom and one macro

I find the extra versatility great in situations where the action happens too fast to change lenses.
combine two bodies and a lens-exchange pouch on your belt and you can be ready for almost anything.
11-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Wow... that's quite a setup... and a clever way of juggling multiple cameras!
Won't the D60 bounce with the analog camera too much? or you just switch them keeping one in the backpack at all times?
Not often and mostly it's because me forgetting it hanging there as the analog camera is hanging on my left side, just behindthe pocket of my pants. And the D60 is locked in place in the middle of my back. With the key rings they tend to hang in a more vertical position, wich does help. Cheap but it works for me
And I prefer to have it lying on a safe spot on the side of the stage or so if I can.
11-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #64
Pentaxian

I ran my K3 and D800 combo yesterday. I ran the K3 setup for B&W only, didn't even let Lightroom convert the raw's back to color. wish I would have done more B&Ws

11-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
*snip*
And I prefer to have it lying on a safe spot on the side of the stage or so if I can.
Well... if it's classical music... yes... if it's death metal...
11-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well... if it's classical music... yes... if it's death metal...
I always thought it was deaf metal.
11-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I always thought it was deaf metal.
There's ear plugs for that... I'd be more worried about a musician playing "fire breather" near the camera, or smashing a guitar on it while growling his throat off...
11-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to carry two but slowly I realized that I travel to see places, to enjoy and NOT to manage cameras and lenses. So in a recent trip, just carried a camera with attached lens and I haven't missed much - trip was more enjoyable and fun.

However, I will still carry two if it's a road trip. In that case I wouldn't mind carrying an extra camera, lenses or even tripod in car.

11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I tend to shoot with a Nikon D800 + AF-S 24-85mm and a Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm.
Basically allows me to cover everything from 24mm @ f/3.5 to 383mm @ f/4 (effective)

Michael
11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I tend to shoot with a Nikon D800 + AF-S 24-85mm and a Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm.
Basically allows me to cover everything from 24mm @ f/3.5 to 383mm @ f/4 (effective)

Michael
That's kind of my dream, substituting a 645 d or z for the D800.
11-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #71
Pentaxian

For longer trips I'd usually carry two bodies, with one as chiefly a back-up and rarerly used. But since I bought an Oly EM-5 two years ago and a K-5iis one year ago, I've been using two bodies more often. Initially, the idea was to shoot primes on one body, but then have a zoom on the other as a kind of safety net when I needed to access a focal range not covered by the primes. But in practice I've seen myself going for all sorts of combinations, depending on the circumstances. On my Glacier NP trip in September, I brought my K-5 and K-5iis, and I started out shooting the DA 15 on one camera and the K 28/3.5 on the other. Then for a hike to St. Mary and Virginia Falls, I had the FA 20-35 on the K-5iis and the FA 24-90 on the K-5. That combo worked out really well, and that's what I mostly shot with the rest of the trip (occasionally swapping out the FA 20-35 for the DA 15). Last weekend, I did a quick day trip through the California Cascades. I took the K-5iis with five primes and the Oly EM-5 with a 14-54 zoom. Mostly shot with the primes on the K-5iis, but used the zoom when I needed quick access to a focal length not covered by the prime in use.
11-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Now more two K/01īs since I only have one dslr left.
11-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adorama's sneak peek at Black Friday sales tipped me over the fence I was sitting on. I decided to pick up a 2nd K-3. Looking forward to its arrival soon.
11-20-2014, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter

My Lowepro backpack was purchased and set-up for film cameras only (they live in here). There are days when the digital camera stays home. On a film outing I grab this backpack and always go out with the ME Super. The 2nd body is either the ZX-M or ZX-5n (usually the ZX-M). I carry three Pentax lenses: M - 28mm f/2.8, M - 50mm f/1.7 and M - 135mm f/3.5. I set this rig up before buying the 5n body, so all the glass is manual focus. When taking the 5n will often take along an autofocus walk around zoom.

I've found that I use my film cameras more often since putting this together as it contains everything I need without having to dip into the digital bag. LensPen, blower, filters, tripod plate - they're all in here ready to go. Many of the filters were purchased at a local camera store and I just picked out the good ones in the Used box; paid next to nothing for them. The backpack is just tailor made for this set-up. There's depth for the ZX cameras to have the battery back on the bottom or autowinder on the ME (but I prefer it without).
Attached Images

Last edited by OrangeKx; 11-20-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added text.
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
If not just going for a walk or to the shops, at least 2 bodies
For concerts: K-500 with 50mm f1/.7 (or 28/135mm f2.8) and K1000/MX or Fujica STX-1 with 50mm loaded with Tri-X. Nikon D60 with it's lenses as back-up in my backpack or when I'm taking photo's with flash & second-curtain sync lying on the side of the stage or on my shoulder. K-500 on my right shoulder/hip (free to use), strap of the analog cam going from my right shoulder to my left hip and attached to my pants and strap of the K500 with carabiners. Nikon D60 when carrying it, strap from my left shoulder to my back and attached by a carabiner. Instead of attatching the straps to the carabiner, I attach them to a key ring so they don't move around too much.
For weddings/events: K-500 with 50mm or 135mm, Nikon D60 with 35 or 50mm. One on the right side, the other on the left side.
City-trips/hiking/festivals: K-500's strap attached at shoulder height to my backpack's shoulder strap with 2 carabiners, in my hand or in a camera case on the side of the backpack. When not raining, often a lens in a mesh pocket of my backpack. Same setup for the analog cam I'm carrying at that moment at the other side. Other analog camera with different shutter speed and extra lenses in the backpack with the rest of my stuff.
Some events: Same as for city-trips but with a second analog camera with different focal length or film speed attached to backpack, same side as the other analog camera but attached high on the shoulder strap (shoulder height).
And I don't use a photo-backpack as I find a normal hiking backpack more useful (easier to attach stuff, size it down when not full,...)
This is an interesting layout. I've been really thinking about a 3 small prime camera setup 15/40/135, I love the idea of 1 camera 1 lens (no lens changes), but have struggled with the jump in access from 2 to 3 cameras. I tend to carry my cameras on sliding rapid straps worn across my body. I don't suppose you have any photos of you in this 3 camera setup?