Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carried two today for an auto show. K-3 with DA15ltd for the car shots, K-5iis with DA*50-135 for the model shots.
All in a Tamrac Rally 6 messenger bag. Also brought a few other DA limiteds (21, 40) but did not pull them out.

12-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #77

Photos: Albums
"Late to a thread as usual." I'm not a pro, only a student. I've been carrying two bodies for just over a month now, but only when I have a purpose. A K-3 and a K-5iis. The only time I have them both out and ready is when I shoot portraits. This is because I shoot primes. One on a sling with the other hanging on my neck. One with the FA77 or FA43 attached, the other with the FA31 or DA21. Still with this set-up I often consider getting a fast aperture zoom and if I did I'd probably still have a prime on the second body. But for now I still need to improve my photography and zooms make me lazy. When just out walking I only take one body, with no real preference to which.
12-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I frequently shoot with two bodies: Sometimes K-5IIs and K-5, sometimes Canon 6D and 7D.

Events almost require two bodies. I like to shoot the 50-135 on one K-5 and the 12-24 on the other, though I've been increasingly using Canon for event work as the autofocus is better.

Driving around the wilds of the eastern Oregon desert, I like to have the 7D with my 100-400 mounted in my lap and ready to go for sudden wildlife encounters, and the 6D with a landscape lens (24-70/4, say) on the floor at my feet for anything else.

Ideally you use just one kind of body, so that your fingers don't waste time and energy finding the controls. Obviously I don't quite have that down just yet.
02-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Thanks for this thread. I've traditionally taken a body and an extra lens or two, and have found that changing lenses on the fly is either complicated, awkward, or too cumbersome to even bother many times. So, as of this point forward, I'll be a two-body guy.

02-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shot a XC ski race on Saturday with my K-5 & DA* 16-50 and K-3 & DA* 60-250. I was skiing myself to access the course and carried everything in my pack until I was ready to shoot. Then I got my dual Black Rapid strap out so I could have both cameras handy. It was snowing so I wouldn't have wanted to change lenses. I skied a little on flats and uphills with both cameras out and while a little clunky, it is doable and I can be ready to shoot quickly. Sometimes knobs get turned on the cameras as I ski, so I had to review settings a couple of times and put things back where I wanted them. After the shooting it was downhill back to the car. I put the cameras back into the backpack for the descent so I could have more control and be less likely to damage gear.
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #81

I shoot aerial photography and carry two K-3s, one with a wide zoom (most of the time DA* 16-50), and the other with the 60-250). Since I use a Cessna 206, this helps me waste time switching lens and also serves me as a backup in case on camera fails during the flight. When I fly with the rear door removed I use a dual camera strap to secure them (don't wanna have a K-3 drop from the sky!).
02-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In reading the posts since I last visited on page 2, I realized I take 3 bodies now, because my Q is always i the bag somewhere, along with the q-PK adaptor. It doesn't weigh much and you never know. I also use the Q for video now on trips, and my canon video camera just sits at home, because primarily, you need to post process the video from the canon even to view it. It is geared really to burning video to DVD, with the Q I can just upload the video direct to my iPad .

Oops, counting ipad, iPod and blackberry. Make that 6 cameras

02-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #83
Pentaxian

So, if you do carry two DSLRs regularly, what kind of bag are you using for for your average outing, tootling around town?
02-13-2015, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

Yes I do, and who needs a bag? I also wear more than one button, but that was the theme of the event I was shooting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi  Photo 
02-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #85
Forum Member

Just got back from a recent trip, and found a setup that seemed to work well with my standard day pack:
I added a split ring (key ring) to the left lugs of my bodies (for my DIY rapid straps)
I added carabiners to the pack straps around chest height (there is often a "chain" of webbing there) then I could clip the camera on the carabiner and un-clip quickly enough for my purposes, yet not have a lot of movement while hiking. (you have to play with the orientation of the carabiners to find the one that works best)

I only used 2 bodies, but think I could have done more without much jostling/rubbing. I think this would work really well with handstraps. I'm pretty sure that this would also work well enough with my normal favorite camera bag (the Pentax sling bag) which could easily store 3 Pentax bodies even with largish lenses attached (16-45,55-300), so long as at least one body has a small prime or the new collapsible zoom (to fit in the top compartment) ultimately I think that 3 compact "setups" (wide/normal/tele) could be ideal for me and get rid of the need for field lens changes, especially given how cheap more than adequate IQ bodies have gotten (e.g. K-5, k-01).
02-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Honestly...Im glad I see others here with 3 cameras! Hey....whatever works for you. Unless Im hiking light its always two bodies on me. K3 and K30.
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I frequently carry two bodies. In good weather that would be the K-3 and Sony a6000. In wet weather, K-3 and K20D.

- Heavy combos (K-3/DA*300, or DSLR with flash & zoom) are carried on a sling, with a second body and spare lenses in a messenger bag.
- I can fit the K-3 and DA 55-300mm, and a6000 with lens mounted, plus a couple of spare lenses, in a mid-sized messenger bag. If I'm not birding, that is a highly versatile setup.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Honestly...Im glad I see others here with 3 cameras! Hey....whatever works for you. Unless Im hiking light its always two bodies on me. K3 and K30.
I've only used three bodies once, for a wedding. I had the K20D with 16-45mm and flash, a6000 with Zeiss 32mm and K-3 with D FA 100.

I wasn't happy with the D FA 100 for portraits. It's too long, and kind of mercilessly literal. My next shoot I would use the K20D with Sigma 17-50, flash and flash bracket, K-3 with FA 35mm and a6000 with Sigma 60mm Art.
02-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For most quick trips I have my K5 and the trusty rusty RX100 with me. But for most excursions I carry two bodies - the Pentax and my Canon EOS 3 or 1v. I still love firing off the rolls of film. Those "full frames" are usually the ones I struggle with due to size, and for the 1v, weight. That thing is a beast.