No difference   00%
Cannot really tell 529.41%
Better 1164.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Better focusing on the K20D than the K10D? - a poll

To make a long story short, how about those who have both the K10D and the K20D giving their opinion about how they feel the difference between the two in focusing performance.
Leaving out the nuances and the special disclaimers, which of the above statements do you find is closest to the truth when comparing the AF on the K20D to the K10D.

Last edited by Kameraten; 05-19-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: grammatics
05-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"Performance"?

Do you mean "Speed" or "Accuracy" or BOTH?
05-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Both. Obviously, speed isn't that interesting without accuracy.
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #4

I just did a quick non scientific test to try out continuous auto focus on my k10d this morning and am happy with the results...Bob

Last edited by robert; 06-19-2008 at 06:56 AM.
05-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #5

part2

these are at the end...Bob

Last edited by robert; 06-19-2008 at 06:56 AM.
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #6

Since you've brought this up Rob, I did a small test as well from my side. I was well aware when I bought my K10D that high ISO noice and AF were some of the 'known' issues. Also there were several reports about AF hunting on the K10's.

I got a chance to test the AF-C last weekend when I had been to a park and miniature remote controlled plane was being flown by someone. I set my K10D and started tracking the object. It was very very hard to track it for several reasons 1) overcast sky, 2) the plane was flying crazily (no life loss in case of disaster eh..) in all directions. K10D had no problems at all in tracking the object or go crazily hunting.

Attached is the picture

(Not the best of image sharpness as i used the crappy 50-200)

One issue done and dusted. Now need to test the high ISO bit..:-P

Cheers
Nish

Last edited by bnishanth; 05-19-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: check grammer
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Since you've brought this up Rob, I did a small test asl well from my side. I was well aware when I bought my K10D that high ISO noice and AF were some of the 'known' issues. ALso there were several reports about AF hunting on the K10's.

I got a chance to test the AF-C last weekend when I had been to a park and miniature remote controlled plane was being flown by someone. I set my K10D and started tracking the object. It was very very hard to track it for several reasons 1) overcast sky, 2) the plane was flying crazily (no life loss in case of disaster eh..) in all directions. K10D had no problems at all in tracking the object and not missing / or go crazily hunting.

Attached is the picture

(Not the best of image sharpness as i used the crappy 50-200)

One issue done and dusted. Now need to test the high ISO bit..:-P

Cheers
Nish
That is not a good test of AF hunting, since the plane is more or less moving across the picture and near infinity (if not at infinity). The AF has a harder time tracking something coming toward\going away from the camera. That said, it doesn't take anything off your tracking ability, since I know those RC planes are very unpredictable in their movements.
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
PFH
Site Supporter

I think there´s less AF hunting with the K20 and the continuous AF also seems faster and more accurate.
Attached picture taken with continuous AF.

Attached Images

05-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
That is not a good test of AF hunting, since the plane is more or less moving across the picture and near infinity (if not at infinity).
True, but this plane was launched from a very long distance from me and was coming towards my direction of course moving crazily around. When the object was close enough and indicated an U turn I clicked this picture.

I maybe wrong here, but if the AF tracks an object at infinity and then the object comes towards the camera but not close enough, does it make life easier for an AF ?

If 'Yes' then I may have to do more tests.

I'm not bothered about my abilities, but about my K10D's.

Cheers
Nish
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nobody was with you when you took that picture, so nobody, beside you, knows the exact condition in which the picture was taken. What I said was referring to the impression I've had when I saw the picture. If you read the entire thread, I still stated that some of those RC are hard to keep tracking, so there goes. The fact still remains that it is harder for AF to keep tracking something coming toward the camera or going away.
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The fact still remains that it is harder for AF to keep tracking something coming toward the camera or going away.
Got that, Cheers. Will try in a different scenario next time..

Nish
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I posted this on another thread on this forum, but I will repost it here to save having to be linked to the post:
I can only comment on my experiences with the K20D and that I find that the AF works quite satisfactorily.
There were tests done by a magazine some time back(can't remember which) of the K10D that showed that in good light the K10D was about the same AF speed as the competition(maybe a tad slower but not of significance) and only really lacked speed in dimmer light. As the K20D supposedly uses the same AF, then we can assume that the K20D is certainly no worse than the results obtained by the K10D in that test. Now, IMO, the K20D is actually a tad faster to AF than my K10D. I am not saying better than the competition, but better than the K10D.
Another observation for me is that the FA lenses *seem* to be faster to AF due to the noist they make, whereas the SDM seems slower due to it's quietness when in actual fact the SDM lenses are faster. The noise of the FA lens's AF acts like an audible verification process whereas the quietness of the SDM seems to mask this verification and the SDM lenses therefore seem to be slower, which is clearly not the case.
Here are a few shots taken at Taronga zoo with the K20D and DA*300 f4 in AF C mode. At the time of taking these photos, these Red Panda were moving quite quickly and the light was quite dim. I had to use ISO800 and a relatively large aperture of f5.6 to obtain a reasonable shutter speeds of 1/200 or 1/100sec so as to reduce motion blur, but the thing was that this was rather dim light. In otherwords, if these shots were at ISO100, they would have been f5.6 and 1/25sec and 1/13sec respectively but the AF C worked brilliantly:

K20D + DA*300 f4 @ f5.6 1/200sec, handheld, SR on.

K20D + DA*300 f4 @ f5.6 1/100sec, handheld, SR on. You can see the movement of the Panda by it's foot.

Last edited by Lance B; 05-22-2008 at 04:42 PM.
05-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice examples, Lance. They illustrate the AF capabilities of the K20D/DA*300 combo quite well, IMO. Thanks for sharing these.