45 - 55 years 3621.69%
55 - or older 5533.13%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

[55 and older is too many ages grouped together and skews the results]

Agreed! I'm 73, but it sure feels good to be included in the 55 group!

I started in photography when I was around 10 with a Kodak Hawkeye (still have it)! Midlife, I went into DSLR with Canon & Nikon. Also had a Pentax 645 (wish I still had it!!!). After my husband passed away, I had to sell all my equipment. I then went to point & shoots. My last was Panasonic FZ70. However, I longed to get back into DSLR, and recently joined here, & purchased a very clean K10D. I also purchased here the 18-55WR, and the 55-300 lens. I'm now in the process within a month, to get a new K5iis!! So even though it feels good to check off the 55 & older group, it really doesn't reflect a true value on the poll.

11-12-2014, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As the eldest son of a Pentaxian, I knew it would someday be my duty and my destiny to carry on the noble traditions of the ancients(sorry, I mean seniors)
I still remember that cold, fateful morning as my father lay sticken, mortally wounded on the field of battle(actually it was a field of poppies and he was just trying to get a better angle) It was then that I took up the ancestral blade (actually it was a k1000) looked my enemy in the eye and said, "you killed my father, prepare to die"(probaly took a blurry shot of the ground). It was in that moment that I took the first step towards my fate as a Pentaxian. Forever destined to wander the land taking photos of cats and flowers, lurking on the marketplace and eternally searching for the legendary Takumar 83 1.9.

True story.

Oh yeah- on topic, I'm somewhere around 40. Generally I find that no matter what age you are, you're either too young or too old.
11-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
Haha, I had to afford my own. I hope it'll be 18 to 35 with a 18-35mm 1.8 than 18 to 55 with a 18-55mm kit lens, if you get what I mean!
The one I got for Christmas was a Panasonic Lumix compact camera, I had to afford my own DSLRs too
11-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
[55 and older is too many ages grouped together and skews the results]
Exactly, if it was 55-65 then 65 and older, that would probably result in a much more even spread across the agegroups.

Also, I suspect that most forum polls will be skewed in favour of older people because forums are visited less by youngsters, who tend to congregate more on Facebook and the like. Finally, there will always be fewer aged 15-25 involved in such an expensive hobby as DSLRs, whatever brand, I'd have thought. Because mostly, they don't have as much money as the rest of us!

But even with such a poll change, I would still be in the 'oldest' group!

11-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Finally, there will always be fewer aged 15-25 involved in such an expensive hobby as DSLRs, whatever brand, I'd have thought. Because mostly, they don't have as much money as the rest of us!
True, but I'm on the committee of my university's photography society and we have over a hundred members in our books, 30 or so regularly coming to the events. So there is definitely an interest in photography among young people like me, and whilst there is no one with an FF camera, there are quite a few who invest decent money into their hobby. We have everything from people using the cameras on their phone to those of us with semi-pro APS-C DSLRs, some of them looking to upgrade to FF soon.
11-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
As the eldest son of a Pentaxian, I knew it would someday be my duty and my destiny to carry on the noble traditions of the ancients(sorry, I mean seniors)
I still remember that cold, fateful morning as my father lay sticken, mortally wounded on the field of battle(actually it was a field of poppies and he was just trying to get a better angle) It was then that I took up the ancestral blade (actually it was a k1000) looked my enemy in the eye and said, "you killed my father, prepare to die"(probaly took a blurry shot of the ground). It was in that moment that I took the first step towards my fate as a Pentaxian. Forever destined to wander the land taking photos of cats and flowers, lurking on the marketplace and eternally searching for the legendary Takumar 83 1.9.

True story.

Oh yeah- on topic, I'm somewhere around 40. Generally I find that no matter what age you are, you're either too young or too old.
Haha! Is your name Inigo Montoya?
11-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Haha! Is your name Inigo Montoya?
Inconceivable!
11-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Inconceivable!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.