Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,685
As I suspected, it is a video sensor.

11-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
Well, it will trickle down to stills. Isn't that great? Companies invest a lot into video, as video is very demanding on the hardware, and profitable. But as a result stills shooters will get wonderful technology that will aid them too!


Video isn't your enemy, guys. It's your friend, even if you don't use it. Let companies invest money there, it will trickle down and profit you too.


Global shutter... video feature, but it also enables silent modes that do not have massive rolling shutter. The dynamic range... especially great for video, cause you can't do bracketing the way you can with photos, but of course it's also great for stills. etc.
11-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,457
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As I suspected, it is a video sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Well, it will trickle down to stills.
I think the point is that, no, Ricoh will not be using this new sensor unless they start making camcorders. I will be curious to see what product Sony drops this into and at what price point.


Steve
11-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,550
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't believe a 23.5 diagonal makes it APS-c, don't make me use my Pythagorean Theorem on you,

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 01:09 PM ----------

Looking at the Samsung 28 MP and K-3 at 3200 ISO, man I hate it when the latest greatest new stuff isn't as good as what you're using. What am I supposed to get excited about now? Maybe it's just Samsung sucks...
Samsung definitely is one of those whose jpeg engine is not ideal. Strange how the sensor makers don't implement hi-quality jpeg routines, though I've heard that Panasonic has improved theirs in the last year or two.

11-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think the point is that, no, Ricoh will not be using this new sensor unless they start making camcorders. I will be curious to see what product Sony drops this into and at what price point.


Steve
Sony might let the technology that went into this sensor (which seems destined for cinema cameras) go into typical DSLR sensors. BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,457
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
How many years did that take?* This sensor and the specific tech will not be used in a still camera any time soon. My read of the technical description is that the design is highly video-centric at this point. If the tech pans out, it may be found in still cameras at some point, but probably not any time soon.

BTW...this is a rumor, after all. For all we know the intended application might be high res CCTV for security cameras.


Steve

* About five, IIRC

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-18-2014 at 07:57 PM.
11-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sony might let the technology that went into this sensor (which seems destined for cinema cameras) go into typical DSLR sensors. BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
Actually, BSI was used in astronomy, years before it was used in smartphones.
11-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How many years did that take?* This sensor and the specific tech will not be used in a still camera any time soon. My read of the technical description is that the design is highly video-centric at this point. If the tech pans out, it may be found in still cameras at some point, but probably not any time soon.

BTW...this is a rumor, after all. For all we know the intended application might be high res CCTV for security cameras.


Steve

* About five, IIRC
I agree, the speed points to overkill for stills. The size is much closer to APS-C though, so getting it to that size might be easier than getting BSI to scale up. And there are benefits to this tech for stills too... let alone cameras doing both. Production cost might be too high though, cinema cameras tend to use pretty expensive APS-C sensors... they exist and are probably great, but too expensive for our sort of camera.

I doubt security cameras are the purpose, but I get your point. The size is a bit odd... if it were for a cinema camera it should be S35 (approx APS-C). Maybe it isn't even meant for a camera, it's just a prototype seeing how big they can make such a sensor.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors, samsung, sensor, sensor in future, sony, sony sensor, technology
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuji will launch a Medium Format camera with the Sony 50MP sensor this summer! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 49 01-29-2016 12:09 PM
Sony will launch lenses with built-in imaging sensor! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 07-19-2013 09:54 AM
New 35mm sensor from kodak, will we see it in pentax bodies? bunegg Pentax News and Rumors 36 11-23-2010 08:52 AM
Will Sony supply the Sensor for future bodies? Reportage Pentax News and Rumors 10 06-22-2010 06:47 PM
New Sony APS-C size CMOS Image Sensor with 12.47 Effective Resolution for use in DSLR Matjazz Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 08-20-2007 02:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top