Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As I suspected, it is a video sensor.

11-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Well, it will trickle down to stills. Isn't that great? Companies invest a lot into video, as video is very demanding on the hardware, and profitable. But as a result stills shooters will get wonderful technology that will aid them too!

Video isn't your enemy, guys. It's your friend, even if you don't use it. Let companies invest money there, it will trickle down and profit you too.

Global shutter... video feature, but it also enables silent modes that do not have massive rolling shutter. The dynamic range... especially great for video, cause you can't do bracketing the way you can with photos, but of course it's also great for stills. etc.
11-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As I suspected, it is a video sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Well, it will trickle down to stills.
I think the point is that, no, Ricoh will not be using this new sensor unless they start making camcorders. I will be curious to see what product Sony drops this into and at what price point.

Steve
11-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't believe a 23.5 diagonal makes it APS-c, don't make me use my Pythagorean Theorem on you,

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 01:09 PM ----------

Looking at the Samsung 28 MP and K-3 at 3200 ISO, man I hate it when the latest greatest new stuff isn't as good as what you're using. What am I supposed to get excited about now? Maybe it's just Samsung sucks...
Samsung definitely is one of those whose jpeg engine is not ideal. Strange how the sensor makers don't implement hi-quality jpeg routines, though I've heard that Panasonic has improved theirs in the last year or two.

11-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think the point is that, no, Ricoh will not be using this new sensor unless they start making camcorders. I will be curious to see what product Sony drops this into and at what price point.

Steve
Sony might let the technology that went into this sensor (which seems destined for cinema cameras) go into typical DSLR sensors. BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter

BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
How many years did that take?* This sensor and the specific tech will not be used in a still camera any time soon. My read of the technical description is that the design is highly video-centric at this point. If the tech pans out, it may be found in still cameras at some point, but probably not any time soon.

BTW...this is a rumor, after all. For all we know the intended application might be high res CCTV for security cameras.

Steve

* About five, IIRC

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-18-2014 at 07:57 PM.
11-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sony might let the technology that went into this sensor (which seems destined for cinema cameras) go into typical DSLR sensors. BSI started as tech for smartphone cameras, then it went towards 1" and now APS-C sized sensors for DSLRs/ILCs.
Actually, BSI was used in astronomy, years before it was used in smartphones.
11-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How many years did that take?* This sensor and the specific tech will not be used in a still camera any time soon. My read of the technical description is that the design is highly video-centric at this point. If the tech pans out, it may be found in still cameras at some point, but probably not any time soon.

BTW...this is a rumor, after all. For all we know the intended application might be high res CCTV for security cameras.

Steve

* About five, IIRC
I agree, the speed points to overkill for stills. The size is much closer to APS-C though, so getting it to that size might be easier than getting BSI to scale up. And there are benefits to this tech for stills too... let alone cameras doing both. Production cost might be too high though, cinema cameras tend to use pretty expensive APS-C sensors... they exist and are probably great, but too expensive for our sort of camera.

I doubt security cameras are the purpose, but I get your point. The size is a bit odd... if it were for a cinema camera it should be S35 (approx APS-C). Maybe it isn't even meant for a camera, it's just a prototype seeing how big they can make such a sensor.