Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Got my 'Grip' today...

..and, oh what a difference in the feel of this camera, now. It felt good before, but now it feels even better. With the grip, the unit sits 'perfectly' in my hands, and the added weight is a plus, to me. I am a little concerned, however, because one of the connector pins was bottomed out. The one good thing about those pins is the fact that they are not fixed, but 'spring loaded', yet I have a little concern about that one particular pin (which remains flush with the floor) becoming a future problem.

I also thought that the grip's controls would feed solely off of the K10's power button, but found that the grip had its own (power button). I like this, but wonder if the grip's power would have to be 'ON' in order for the camera to utilize the grip-installed battery. The manual says nothing about this, and I just wondered if someone knew.

01-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
There is a setting on one of the LCD menus that allows you to control the order in which the camera uses the batteries. The grip does NOT need to be powered on to tap that battery; juts set it up that way on that screen when you get there. (I think it's the menu furthest to the right and then scroll down to find the battery item.)
Rob W
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
..and, oh what a difference in the feel of this camera, now. It felt good before, but now it feels even better. With the grip, the unit sits 'perfectly' in my hands, and the added weight is a plus, to me. I am a little concerned, however, because one of the connector pins was bottomed out. The one good thing about those pins is the fact that they are not fixed, but 'spring loaded', yet I have a little concern about that one particular pin (which remains flush with the floor) becoming a future problem.

I also thought that the grip's controls would feed solely off of the K10's power button, but found that the grip had its own (power button). I like this, but wonder if the grip's power would have to be 'ON' in order for the camera to utilize the grip-installed battery. The manual says nothing about this, and I just wondered if someone knew.

not sure about the pin thing.... but I would take it to wear you bought it and see what they think. I doesn't sound normal as none of mine is bottomed out.

in the auto select setting in your camera for battery, the k10 will select the proper location of the battery automatically

hope this helps

randy
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grip

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
not sure about the pin thing.... but I would take it to wear you bought it and see what they think. I doesn't sound normal as none of mine is bottomed out.

in the auto select setting in your camera for battery, the k10 will select the proper location of the battery automatically

hope this helps

randy
I don't put the battery in the body. Only in the grip. I have four batteries for two bodies, so if need be I can charge the other two batteries while switching between bodies. I don't want to remove the grip to remove the battery every time I have to do a charge.

Ben

01-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I don't put the battery in the body. Only in the grip. I have four batteries for two bodies, so if need be I can charge the other two batteries while switching between bodies. I don't want to remove the grip to remove the battery every time I have to do a charge.

Ben
I have been considering this practice as well.
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
ISH

All I do is set my K10D to draw off the grip battery first. This way I only have to charge the battery in the grip and not the one in the camera as now the battery in the camera is only a 2nd power source if the main battery should be drained. I don't do enough shooting at once to drain an entire battery in 1 day since I've been averaging about 600-750 shots per charge.
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

grip power has to be on to power the body.....happened to me last week when the body battery died..(soon there after grip battery)

I usually have grip power set first then body...(but in that one instance, i forgot to go out of auto)
01-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
There is a setting on one of the LCD menus that allows you to control the order in which the camera uses the batteries. The grip does NOT need to be powered on to tap that battery; juts set it up that way on that screen when you get there. (I think it's the menu furthest to the right and then scroll down to find the battery item.)
Rob W
Thanks. I had found that setting even before I had got my grip, but just wondered if the grip had to be 'ON' in order to power the camera when the body's battery died.

I did call back out to the dealer, by which to express my concern over the 'bottomed out'*pin, but he kind of left it open - saying that "Well...you do have a year's warranty on it". It was a good while - between ordering, and receiving the grip, and I would hate to have to shoulder such a period of time again. But I will...if I have to.

The one responder, here, spoke of a procedure that I think I will adopt. Instead of supplying both the body & grip with battery, just install one in the body, and keep a fresh one at the ready. Yeah...I really like this idea (and thanks).

Again...this camera feels just SOOOO good in hand, now - with the attached grip (and I look more professional, to boot ).

02-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you were able to get a grip. I got my camera fairly early (late November) and am still waiting for the grip to come it. You'd think that it would be a no-brainer for them to make enough.
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have the grip for the K10D (at least not yet), but in my experience the on/off switch on battery grips has nothing to do with power. Normally it only turns the controls for the grip on and off so that you don't accidentally hit a control on the vertical grip while you are shooting horizontally.
02-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=NLAlston;22693]
The one responder, here, spoke of a procedure that I think I will adopt. Instead of supplying both the body & grip with battery, just install one in the body, and keep a fresh one at the ready. Yeah...I really like this idea (and thanks).

UPDATE: I meant installing the one battery in the 'grip' - and having another at the ready.
02-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=CFWhitman;22885] The on/off switch on battery grips has nothing to do with power. Normally it only turns the controls for the grip on and off so that you don't accidentally hit a control on the vertical grip while you are shooting horizontally.[/QUOTE

Yes, CF - you are absolutely right about that. I do remember reading about one poster's complaint on prematurely firing off a shot by accidentally hitting the grip's shutter button. I focused on using care to prevent doing so, myself - once I got my grip. But I guess he was leaving his grip's power 'ON' throughout his total period of usage.