Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
If this is a "pics or it didn't happen" thread
...nope, it is pics as a form of morbid entertainment. Think of it as the PF equivalent of gawking at a bad wreck on the freeway.

I am simply curious as to what it looks like and where it happened.

Steve

11-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First things first, I take really, really good care of my gear. I do, however, like to use it and those two ideas are bound to contradict each other at some point. I've been a hiker for a long time and finally in the last few years I've had good enough camera gear to take along with me and capture what I see. I've hiked a lot of miles in the last 3 years with big telephoto lenses looking for wildlife.
Last week I went out looking for one of the Bighorn Sheep herds that lives outside of Las Vegas. I found part of a herd and decided I would try to put a stalk on them. Naturally when the Sheep got the sense that there was something other than themselves around they started to move and I followed them up, up and up some more. I hoping for some shots of the big dog in the herd but he was very elusive. I as able to cut a couple of the Sheep from the rest of the group and made my way around them in search of better lighting. I got some decent shots and ended up too close for the Sigma 400mm lens that was on the camera so I decided to call it a day.
My camera/lens was on the tripod as usual and I was making my way down the mountainside. This was steep Bighorn Sheep type territory and there was some loose footing for sure. At one point I picked a big, flat rock that I could plant my whole foot on, it looked good and I was on to my next step but before I could complete the action my left foot was not on the rock anymore and I was making my way from a vertical orientation to something entirely different. This also meant that the tripod was no longer on my shoulder and it seems that the K-5II took the brunt of the fall. I sat there for a minute after I realized that this was not a close call, that it was the real thing and that both the camera and lens were not coming out of this one alive. I said "shit, shit, SHIT" a bunch of times and found the rock that looked nice and flat. The bottom of the flat rock was actually very round and very not stable. After a tear or two I limped myself back down the rest of the way so I could go home and lick my wounds.
Sooooo.....

Some Q macros

11-19-2014, 01:56 AM   #18
Forum Member

I would not send such a body for repair. You need to make sure the camera does not get worse, and at least put some gaffer to protect the hole. It seems to me that the Sigma will be too expensive for what it costs to repair unless you get parts from an old cheap lens.

Unfortunately accidents happen in life. The most important is that you are safe.
11-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That looks like a massive blow. Seems like it hit the ground from a fair height with the large mass of the tripod and the large lens all attached. Really sad.

11-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Glad you survived the fall, and you are around to tell us about it.

If it is just the top plate of the camera that could be replaced but with that hard a blow and possible damage to the mount there may be other issues you don't see.

You could send it in to get an estimate but may be better off replacing it with a used body or a new one for peace of mind.
11-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter

The good new is that you are fine. Think that way: medical bills may cost way more than your broken gear.
11-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

wow, that's pretty impressive. Glad you made it through relatively unscathed. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that it'll be cheaper to replace than repair for that sort of damage.
11-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

That portion looks like it can just be replaced.

11-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that's quite a tale--and a cautionary one, too! Now I know what it takes to get the terrific photos you post. I'm really glad you're ok but I'd be suprised (and delighted) if you can salvage the gear.
11-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Yeah, I always seem to break some bones when I take a tumble like that, so consider yourself lucky. I still have a K1000 from back in the film days with some dents in it from falling over backwards off a small ledge I was climbing down. (I ended up worse.) More recently, for hiking by myself in Colorado where there were no people around, I got myself one of those satellite GPS/messengers so I could call in the helicopters if I broke my leg. My wife insisted on that before I went off for a multi-day solo trip in the mountains...
11-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #26
Site Supporter

That is quite the tale and I am very glad you survived. As you said, the realization that it is the "real thing" and not just a close call is terrifying...been there, done that.

The damage to the top plate is extensive and probably runs through under the grip as a full break. It is may be replaceable if the parts or a donor body can be found. There may also be damage to the chassis if the condition of your poor Sigma is any indication. The point of diminishing returns comes if screws are sheared off in their holes or the chassis cracked/sprung.

The big question is: Does it still power up? If so, we need a sticky to point people to who ask if Pentax cameras are durable.

Steve
11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #27
Pentaxian

If it still works, fill it with epoxy, but don't spend money on it.
11-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If it still works, fill it with epoxy, but don't spend money on it.
A careful inspection of the mount and attachment points would also be warranted. The Sigma may have taken the brunt of it, but I suspect deeper damage.

Steve
11-19-2014, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These are the photos from that afternoon.
This big dog is the one I was after, he had some serious mass on those horns and they are well worn from the rut and rubs. He stayed just out of reach though.

11-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, it was worth it!