Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Haha, very true! Good thing I'm not an action shooter, otherwise I would be very tempted. But in reality, there's very little I'd change about my K-5II...focus peaking, articulated screen (maybe, though it would ruin the look ), um yeah that's about it!

I am not a huge action shooter... but it does help if these things are addressed. Fast and accurate is a good combo. It doesn't have to beat Nikon in the milliseconds count.... it just has be sufficient.

Low light AF is very very attractive to me. That's for sure. Usually with my K5 I just manually focus if the conditions are too dim....

Yeah, I think the K3 will be a wise choice.

11-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I know there have probably been several threads on this, but I have specific questions.

I am really leaning towards a K3 for Christmas. I currently own and use the traditional K5.

I am not sure if the AF function on the K3 is the same as the K5IIs. Are they the same motor/drive/system? Or do they have differences?

That is one area where I am not all that satisfied with the old K5 but it's been a fantastic camera otherwise. Other than cropability I don't think 24mp will make my shots turn out any better.

Yes 24mp would be nice, but 16mp is fine... I am seeing all these deals.. I am probably going to wait until black friday and see if I can pick up something nice...

I am thinking I should stick with my K3 plan because it skips a generation and does offer more in other areas, but specifically I am asking about the AF functions between these cameras.
Alamo,
Thanks for asking the same question I've been wrestling with....and thanks to all who chimed in with some really helpful responses.

PS. Sure seems to be a lot of anticipation out there about what Black Friday will bring! It's hard to imagine much better deals than some of the K-3 deals right now on B&H/Adorama. Anyway, happy turkey day, happy shopping and happy shooting to all.
11-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Having used the K5, K5IIs and the K3, the K3 AF is a step above the K5IIs which was better in low light than the K5. The additional focus points in the K3 allow more options for AF selection.
11-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did a test this afternoon comparing the K-3 to my new K-5iis and found that on contrasts objects the two cameras were pretty close in AF performance but on busy scenes the K-3 was more positive while the iis hunted a lot.

11-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I did a test this afternoon comparing the K-3 to my new K-5iis and found that on contrasts objects the two cameras were pretty close in AF performance but on busy scenes the K-3 was more positive while the iis hunted a lot.
I guess "busy backgrounds" is what causes most of my AF failures, but when you say the two performed equally on contrasts, don't you think the colour-based AF in the K-3 adds something?

I am thinking for birds against the sky my K5ii does pretty well, but with vegetation or water it hunts and fails - those backgrounds seem contrasty enough to my eye, but I guess it is colour contrast rather than luminance contrast, if that makes sense.

I did not do an organised test as such (also since I did not really have both at the same time at any point), but it seems pretty consistent: Of any Pentax I have owned I was only ever able to get good BIF success rates with the K-3 when the background was other than sky...
11-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I took both cameras to a car show today. The K-5iis had more trouble focusing in the dim lighting. The K-3 did not hiccup once.
11-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

All good information. Still trying to decide which one to get, although I am biased to the IIs, primarily due to the ISO 6400 (noise) for astro shooting. Still a week to go. Then perhaps just stay with the K5 classic. Don't know - but observations like these are all very valuable.

11-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

When I first got the K-3 I was a little troubled because of the slightly more grainy appearance of the shots, and attributed it to the additional megapixels.
Funny thing is, now that I have the K-5iis the images are very similar, so it may be that the cause may actually be the lack of the AA filter?
The IIs definitely seems more grainy than the K-5 classics I used to have, unfortunately I no longer have them to compare.