Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D underexpose seripusly

Hello to all,

I recently purchased a K20D with the starter kit (18-55 + 50-200).

I am back from a 4WD trek in Morocco with a load of pictures.

I am amazed to realize that most of the pictures are underexposed. Actually for most of the picture I must use the Photo laboratory software to increase the light (and not slightly !)

Even some pictures taken in low contrast conditions are underexposed. My son's cheap camera does far better than my K20D !

I am terribly disapointed with this camera.

I cannot imagine somenone is satisfied with the K20D light measuring.

I hope Pentax releases a new firmware to correct this problem very soon.

Regards

Marc

05-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

what mode are you shooting in?

what image output are you shooting in?

did you try using exposure compensation?

did you even read the instruction manual for your camera?
05-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Not Registered

First, wellcome to the forum.

Second, let the attacks begin.
05-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Gruoso said.

and

What Gooshin asked.

Something tells me you might not be doing something properly, since you are the first person I've heard complain about such an issue.

05-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Where are samples?

mrechte,

Think yourself: you join forum and your first post is the statement how bad is K20D... You don't ask help, you just make bold statement about problem which was not reported by any other K20D users here.

So, either you have deffective camera or you're misusing your camera.

To make this thread constructive post some examples with intact EXIF info. Show us those underexposed pictures.
05-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ask Pentax to check your unit for you.

Past Pentax DSLRs are (in)famous for underexposure, so as the beta units of K20D produced sample pictures that were terribly dark. But as for K20D production units, it has been heard that they are "brighter". However, it is still reported that there exists a quality issue for different exposure results with different K20D units, as reported by a Polish technical review site recently:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Issue of Hot/Dead Pixels of the K20D

Nonetheless, for what I have tried with two K20Ds indoor and outdoor, I found that the exposure *seems* to be brighter:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D First Hands-on Impressions

QuoteOriginally posted by mrechte Quote
Hello to all,

I recently purchased a K20D with the starter kit (18-55 + 50-200).

I am back from a 4WD trek in Morocco with a load of pictures.

I am amazed to realize that most of the pictures are underexposed. Actually for most of the picture I must use the Photo laboratory software to increase the light (and not slightly !)

Even some pictures taken in low contrast conditions are underexposed. My son's cheap camera does far better than my K20D !

I am terribly disapointed with this camera.

I cannot imagine somenone is satisfied with the K20D light measuring.

I hope Pentax releases a new firmware to correct this problem very soon.

Regards

Marc
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Ask Pentax to check your unit for you.

Past Pentax DSLRs are (in)famous for underexposure, so as the beta units of K20D produced sample pictures that were terribly dark. But as for K20D production units, it has been heard that they are "brighter". However, it is still reported that there exists a quality issue for different exposure results with different K20D units, as reported by a Polish technical review site recently:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Issue of Hot/Dead Pixels of the K20D

Nonetheless, for what I have tried with two K20Ds indoor and outdoor, I found that the exposure *seems* to be brighter:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D First Hands-on Impressions
RH, Stop contradicting yourself and making stuff up again!

OP: Please post images and settings. From what we can tell you don't know how DSLRs operate and why they operate in such a manor. We can help you but not by making statements but by showing us pics so we can show you how to do things properly.
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How did you not notice this before you hit 3,500 frames?

mind you any Pentax DSLR I have used underexposes by half a stop.

05-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
How did you not notice this before you hit 3,500 frames?
Or third or fourth...:ugh:
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

no offence but it really REALLY annoys me when people go out and buy an expensive camera then get some no so good lenses and then compain about the camera when they dont really even have a clue how to use it. Why not start with a k200d or something and work your way thru the manual etc

pentax even have lessens on their website!!!

I wouldn't dream of buying a pro spec camera to use on holiday unless i knew how to use it which i do as I've worked my way up from a crap point and shoot camera. I now know how to use my camera very well and subsequently have worked with big companies such as the BBC. I am forever researching, teaching and testing new photography techniques.

Please do your self a favour and learn first! then go book an expensive holiday...

the k200d even has scene modes which would have helped you
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for all your feedback.

Yes it is true that I am complaining fast. But this is in line with the poor exposure I get.

Yesterday I contacted the Pentax hot-line to complain about the issue. I uploaded some offending PEF files on a private ftp site for their investigation.

Most (if not all) my picture were taken in P-mode. Sometime I use the central light measure rather than averaged one, but it does not change much the problem.

Nothing really advanced...

Note that this problem does not affect all the pictures, but many of them.

Regards

Marc
05-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Marc,
Welcome to the forum and sad to hear that the K20 is not doing what you want it to.

As Chris has said it would be very helpful if you could post some shots with the exif data intact....then we can offer some informed opinions and hopefully help you. People here are generally very talented and helpful (with some exclusions )
Were you shooting in RAW or JPEG? how was the auto exposure set? there will be many questions, so some photos will be a big help.

Cheers
Grant
05-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well as other people wrote before me, it's not a great introduction to the forum, but please feel welcome here...
As for the underexposing, even Nikon D3 or Canon 1D MkIII fould underexpose in some situation, what I mean, you can have 3000 camera, but if not in the right hands it doesn't always deliver. I'm not saying that your hands are not the right ones, but don't blame just the camera! All the Pentax cameras tend to underexpose! Why? That's how their metering is set, they try to preserve highlights (if you burn those you can't recover them, but you can always retrieve detail from shadow).
Anyway, post picture and some data please, so we can have a look, you'll get more opinions and advices afterwards.
PS: And really DA18-55 doesn't help the problem at all. With my K100D I had to be lifting midtones and very often. Get better lens and it's gonna get much better...
Anyway, we are waiting for the pictures!
05-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
Damn Brit

Might I suggest that you invest in the Magic Lantern Guide for your K20D. They are really good books and give you a step by step guide to getting the most out of your camera . I bought the one for my K10d and it was worth every cent (and then some).

Forgive me for saying so but if you want good pictures straight out of the camera, use a point and shoot because if you are using the P mode, you are just using a point and shoot (an expensive one at that) and not getting the full potential out of the K20. If you want great pictures, learn how to use your camera and learn your PP software.
05-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all for you input.

I have just uploaded 4 pef files on a public ftp site:

ftp://ftp2.landtrekker.org/landtrekk/pef/

I am anxious to hear from you

Best regards

Marc