Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #1

K3 vs K5-IIs - Action shots

Sorry for yet another K3 vs K5 thread, but haven't seen much of a clear answer for what I need. Mainly looking to find which is better to use to photographing racing (which is ironic since the review article dont recommend these for sports)

I've been shooting with a K-M since 2009 and a K-X since 2010, mainly action shots. I go to several automotive races annually, and shoot an easy 1500+ images a trip(JPEG), still shooting with both cameras. Occasionally go to airshows, or soccer games. These cameras have certain been used a lot, and Ive really enjoyed shooting with them, but they're starting to show their wear. Now im in a position to upgrade to another camera and am considering either the K3 and the K5-IIs. Ive read the article reviews as well as user reviews on the forums, and haven't been able to decide which would be a better choice for the type of shooting I deal with. Whichever I choose, I'll be shooting with the same kit lenses Ive been using with the K-M and K-X. Im not looking so much into the video aspects of both cameras, but im mainly concerned about which would better suit my lenses and motion shots, usually under 200 shutter speed. Will also be shooting in low light conditions, and I dont do much post shooting processing (little bit through Picasa). Im kinda leaning towards the K-3

I'll finally start shooting in RAW, and I understand the K-3 has a slight issue with the speed of writing to the card compared to K5-IIs. There will be a lot of times when Ill be shooting a car continuously for more than a few shots. Is this slower RAW issue something I should worry about, or is this something that can be fix via a firmware update? Ive heard a lot of good things about the AF of the K-3 in staying with a subject while distractions occur (like going through trees or fences) as well as in low light, but in extremely dark conditions, is there a noticeable difference to the IIs?

11-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In general the continuous AF of the K-3 is better for moving subjects of any kind vs K-5iis.
11-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #3

I've had a K-5iis and now got a K-3. I find the auto focus and tracking on the K-3 is better for motor sport - faster and more accurate, although there is a little more noise at higher ISO's.

Regarding the writing speed of RAW files, don't forget that the K-3's file sizes are a good bit larger which will in part account for that.
I use San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards. The faster cards make a big difference on the K-3, compared to the 45MB/s cards I was using with the K-5iis and started with on the K-3. If you use a good quality fast SD card I don't think you'll have any great issues with write speeds.
11-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Good advice about the faster speed cards.

11-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There's also a huge difference in the fact the K3 shoots at 8.3 fps versus the K5iis 6 fps.

I think the "reviews" that complained about the K3 being worse for continuous shooting weren't comparing apples to apples.

Do I occasionally fill the buffer with my K3? Yes, probably right around the 2 second mark, but that's 16 pics.
When I had a K5iis, I was afraid to go above bursts of 3-4 pics because I would get inconsistent results... AND that was WITH 95mb/s cards previously mentioned.
11-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I never tried any of the K5's I jumped from my K200D to my K-3 early last summer. There has been a learning curve but not too bad. With the K-3 I still shoot RAW. It's just my preference. With 2 Sandisk Extreme Plus 32G cards I can get around 2000 RAW exposures onboard. The nice thing with the K-3 is that when one card is full it'll roll over to the other card on its own. You can then replace the full card with a new card and once the other card is full it'll roll back to the first card. It takes a LOT to fill the buffer with the Extreme Plus cards. I usually shoot continuous low at boat races just to keep from filling cards up too quick. I went from 1500 to 2000 a day with my K200D to 5000 a day with my K-3. Beware it's NOT hard to do!!!

The other issue with the K-3 is that if you choose to shoot RAW you need PLENTY of disk space and a proper USB 3.0 interface. RAW .pef file sizes run around 30MB each! Transfer times using USB 2.0 are painfully slow. I also have picked up a couple Toshiba 1TB external USB 3.0 drives for storage before archiving. That 24MP sensor makes for outstanding cropping. Here's a pretty good example of that.

Original

Crop

I've been EXTREMELY happy with my K-3!
11-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys, time to order a K3.