Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #211
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I look at the market place right now and it seems like Canon and Nikon are on very different tracks than Sony is. Every new "big" camera from Canon and Nikon -- the 7D Mk II, the D750 -- are SLR type and while they have gotten a little smaller over time, they are what they are.
this amazon list gets updated every hour or so? their top selling digital cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052/#1

no pentax of any kind, and no sony a7 series, on that list??

perhaps it's another way of saying, that what those of us on this forum want, doesn't represent what the overall u.s. camera buying public wants.

11-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
this amazon list gets updated every hour or so? their top selling digital cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052/#1

perhaps it's another way of saying, that what those of us on this forum want, doesn't represent what the overall u.s. camera buying public wants.
Or perhaps people buying more expensive cameras don't buy at Amazon? There are plenty of point & shoots sold at Amazon... I thought that market broke away. And the D7000? Really? How long has that been out of production?
11-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're measuring SKU# volume Note that each 'kit' has a unique SKU#. Each color has a unique SKU#. One must do some serious data mining to discern the real leaders - and to know for sure whether Pentax is represented in the Top 100.
11-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #214
osv
Veteran Member

looking at the dslr category, the pentax k1000 is in 65th place, with sales rising :-) lol

maybe this list really isn't all that accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/electronics...v_e_3_281052#4

11-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

looking at the dslr category, the pentax k1000 is in 65th place, with sales rising :-) lol

[
I guess it could be a little off! Anyway who cares? Iris Dement has always been a wonderful singer but where does she rank in sales next to Brittney Spears or Taylor Swift? Why would I listen to those two when I can listen to Iris or Renee Fleming?
11-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/electronics...v_e_3_281052#4
I don't think it is accurate. I think somehow it factors "interest" or, clicks on a particular item, maybe even placement in shopping cart without purchase, as well as actual sales.
11-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think it is accurate. I think somehow it factors "interest" or, clicks on a particular item, maybe even placement in shopping cart without purchase, as well as actual sales.
These are good hypotheses but it still hard to believe the K1000 numbers unless here is lots of nostalgia looking Or maybe people (especially teenagers) looking into film cameras and it is still probably famous with their grandparents.

11-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #218
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
maybe that is the reason why the DA35 is not FF?
The DA35 is FF, Kadajawi.
11-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #219
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
DA35 is not FF because it is targeted to APSC bodies. You get what you ask for. You get 3EV vigneting at f/4 when you optimize for post processing.
Are we talking about the same lens, Nicholas?

The Plastic Fantastic is a FF lens that Photozone measured as having only 0.23eV - at least on APS-C - of vignetting at f4.

Last edited by clackers; 11-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.
11-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Lenses developed for film don't work too well with current digital sensors, maybe that is the reason why the DA35 is not FF? Samsung's new sensor tech will fix that.
FA31, FA43, and FA77 are all developed for film, and yes, from personal experience (I have all three) they work absolutely well with digital sensors. Samsung doesn't have anything to fix in that area.
11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
FA31, FA43, and FA77 are all developed for film, and yes, from personal experience (I have all three) they work absolutely well with digital sensors. Samsung doesn't have anything to fix in that area.
Thanks for pointing this out again although one wonders how often we need to confirm that Pentax already has a good set of FF AF lenses.
11-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever else happens, I do hope the term "mirrorless camera" will go away. To me that's just like "horseless carriage".
12-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Whatever else happens, I do hope the term "mirrorless camera" will go away. To me that's just like "horseless carriage".
I like horseless carriages. I once drove a 1902 Benz. Good fun. Also, really like the curved dash Oldsmobile and the original Model A Ford, which came well before the Model T. I don't care for mirrorless though!
12-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
With digital full frame? I was under the impression that older lenses didn't mind throwing light onto the film at sharp angles, especially in the corners, that didn't bother film, and you had little vignetting there. With digital sensors the light has to hit the sensor at a (more or less) 90° angle... so lenses that don't do that will have bad vignetting on those sensors. If you are using those lenses on APS-C however you won't have those problems, because you are really only using the center area of those lenses. Of course it will look good, and with minimum vignetting!

The latest Samsung sensor in the NX1 isn't as sensitive to the angle at which light hits the sensor (the photodiode is closer to the "entrance"?), so there is less vignetting.
12-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #225
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

With digital sensors the light has to hit the sensor at a (more or less) 90° angle.
But the K mount doesn't have the degree of problem mirrorless designs can ... short registration distance, light coming in at angles from a wide lens.