Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Well, that "extra" bulk accommodates a longer-life battery in the Pentax K-5 than the Fuji XT1, and not everyone is of diminutive stature who enjoys small cameras.

Here's the real test, IMO: for each system, take a body and the lenses you would normal carry on your photographic journey, and see which kit is bulkier and heavier. One larger/heavier lens can tip the balance.
Agreed but, the trick is to compare using comparable lenses -
I now have 2 fuji 3 lens go kits so to speak, small and stealthy the XE2 with 18/27 pancakes and the smaller 60 macro for portraits etc - Not a chance I'm beating the size weight combo here with say a KS1 with comparable FL since there is no small short normal pancake to get in Pentax, say the 21/DA35/70 though - it would be close though but bulkier due to the camera body and registration distance
Needing a second body so my wife could share the system I now have the XT1- with 23 1.4/35 1.4/56 1.2 Comparable would be K3 with Sigma 24 1.8/ 35 1.4 and Pentax DA* 55 1.8. Once again the Pentax is larger and a fair bit heavier .
Operationally the nearest thing I could describe using the XT1 to is using an LX or a Contax RTS . THE EVF is huge and peaking focus makes the old lenses easier for old eyes to nail focus. In really low light though I think it is easier to use the OVF on a DSLR.
That being said I likely am going to sell off the K7/18-55wr/35 2.4/ 14 2.8 and reinvest the money in the 14mm and a good flash for the fuji. I'll keep my MF lenses but I think I've made the decision to run a mostly single system (still have my SF-1 Film camera to use with the MF lenses and my Bronica setup (which I really should either use or sell)
Reality is I will use both cameras more than my wife but I think the XE kit will be hers and the XT mine when we travel and we will share the Bower fisheye and the XF14 when i pick it up

The XT (and XE) low light performance couple to the fast lenses is excellent (I know a K3 would have improved that for me but to pull the same quality together would have been too much overall since i wanted the XE2 size as an option)

I'd like to see wheatfield compare the XT w/ 56 to the K3 with 55 since he has both (he has said the 56 kills the 55 overall)

11-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Just wait until the machines get Ai then they will get a union....and demand equal rights...etc etc
For a long time I was quite certain I'd be dead before that happened.
11-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For a long time I was quite certain I'd be dead
Cheer up, there's still hope! (not for machine AI, that's never going to happen, the real problem is that the people designing machines aren't getting smarter)
11-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Cheer up, there's still hope! (not for machine AI, that's never going to happen, the real problem is that the people designing machines aren't getting smarter)

There already working prototypes of car that can drive 100% by themselves (they need a driver for security reasons).

There machines that win at jeopardy against human and that include the step whe the computer need to understand the question oraly and respond oraly, faster than the humans.

More and more search engine begin to understand content of images...

We will be there sooner or later.

As for people designing machine, we see all the time dumb parent having smart childs, there no reason it cannot happen when applied to computers.

11-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Agreed but, the trick is to compare using comparable lenses -
I now have 2 fuji 3 lens go kits so to speak, small and stealthy the XE2 with 18/27 pancakes and the smaller 60 macro for portraits etc - Not a chance I'm beating the size weight combo here with say a KS1 with comparable FL since there is no small short normal pancake to get in Pentax, say the 21/DA35/70 though - it would be close though but bulkier due to the camera body and registration distance
Needing a second body so my wife could share the system I now have the XT1- with 23 1.4/35 1.4/56 1.2 Comparable would be K3 with Sigma 24 1.8/ 35 1.4 and Pentax DA* 55 1.8. Once again the Pentax is larger and a fair bit heavier .
Operationally the nearest thing I could describe using the XT1 to is using an LX or a Contax RTS . THE EVF is huge and peaking focus makes the old lenses easier for old eyes to nail focus. In really low light though I think it is easier to use the OVF on a DSLR.
That being said I likely am going to sell off the K7/18-55wr/35 2.4/ 14 2.8 and reinvest the money in the 14mm and a good flash for the fuji. I'll keep my MF lenses but I think I've made the decision to run a mostly single system (still have my SF-1 Film camera to use with the MF lenses and my Bronica setup (which I really should either use or sell)
Reality is I will use both cameras more than my wife but I think the XE kit will be hers and the XT mine when we travel and we will share the Bower fisheye and the XF14 when i pick it up

The XT (and XE) low light performance couple to the fast lenses is excellent (I know a K3 would have improved that for me but to pull the same quality together would have been too much overall since i wanted the XE2 size as an option)

I'd like to see wheatfield compare the XT w/ 56 to the K3 with 55 since he has both (he has said the 56 kills the 55 overall)
The EVF versus OVF is what a lot of this comes down to. Lenses are what they are. I guess Fuji lenses are awesome. I still like the DA and FA limiteds -- sharp enough, nice colors, but certainly not the fastest lenses out there. I'm not such a big fan of the focus by wire thing with Fuji lenses, but it's OK.

I just wonder if Pentax wouldn't do well to do a larger sensor camera with an EVF, but certainly Pentaxians would riot in the streets if such a thing happened.
11-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The EVF versus OVF is what a lot of this comes down to. Lenses are what they are. I guess Fuji lenses are awesome. I still like the DA and FA limiteds -- sharp enough, nice colors, but certainly not the fastest lenses out there. I'm not such a big fan of the focus by wire thing with Fuji lenses, but it's OK.

I just wonder if Pentax wouldn't do well to do a larger sensor camera with an EVF, but certainly Pentaxians would riot in the streets if such a thing happened.
The focus by wire i'm not big on I agree, mind you the AF is generally so good it's not an issue
I agree DA and FA are top lenses and render well . If I wasn't trying to get the size down on the kit for my wife and have us share a sytem i'd have loaded up on limiteds quite happily (and if a FF comes I may regret not grabbing the FA trio, the 15 and 21 and a K5iis and K3
I'm content for now though
11-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of course they could offer cameras that are fundamentally similar save the mirrorbox / VF vs. EVF.

11-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I think at this point no matter what Pentax releases (FF, crop; SLR, mirrorless; big, compact) some people will complain.
That being said, I think SLR technology still has advantages over mirrorless, so it will stick around for some years to come. I expect to see hybrid viewfinders to become popular, rather than pure EVF
11-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wait until the machines get Ai then they will get a union....and demand equal rights...etc etc
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For a long time I was quite certain I'd be dead before that happened.
we all might be dead because that happened.
11-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What does something like that set you back?
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html, body only...

Steve

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
For the sake of your marriage, don't even think about it Mark!
What he said. I am single and I think I am starting to understand the reason. For what I have invested in large format gear, I could have bought a 645Z.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:11 PM ----------

Mirrorless isn't the future,l it isn't a revolution, it is just different.
View camera one-up-manship...

If the Chamonix is too inexpensive for Mark, he might like an Ebony.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
My biggest issue is finding A116 film. It was discontinued in 1984.
They take sheet film as an option, don't they?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
There machines that win at jeopardy against human and...
...which require a huge team of human handlers for setup and connectivity. Watson is way cool, but still does not control its own cords, nor has it exceeding the sum of its programming.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If David burnett managed to do it for the latests winter Olympics this years and applyed large format film camera to various sports and motorcycles competitions, I don't see why you couldn't do it for racing.
David Burnett's Speed Graphic Photos of the London 2012 Olympics

Pan + prayer

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-24-2014 at 06:16 PM.
11-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #101
Pentaxian

From an old school manual focus film slr guy turned digital guy, out of the box Dslrs don't feel much like slrs to me. The focus screens are shite and not calibrated even compared with 35mm pentax me. My kx OVF great now that Ive replaced it with a Minolta 7000 view screen(ground to size of course). Im still working on my k5 even after trying to get Pentax Canada to calibrate it under warrantee(they got it close but not close enough).
To be honest my Sony A7 feels more like an Slr than The chubby KX Dslr and the obese K5. Don't get me wrong I love my dslr's they have their place but I think it is a wonderful thing that the EVF shows you how the camera sees the image, after all what the cameraman sees is only 1" above the Evf.
Just look mmmm! they even put the shutter button back where it should be.
11-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the Chamonix is too inexpensive for Mark, he might like an Ebony
I've worked with Ebony cameras for years along with Sinar and Alpa, I consider them to be the Ne plus ultra of large format. They even make view cameras in formats that are extinct in the consumer markets.
11-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
From an old school manual focus film slr guy turned digital guy, out of the box Dslrs don't feel much like slrs to me. The focus screens are shite and not calibrated even compared with 35mm pentax me. My kx OVF great now that Ive replaced it with a Minolta 7000 view screen(ground to size of course). Im still working on my k5 even after trying to get Pentax Canada to calibrate it under warrantee(they got it close but not close enough).
To be honest my Sony A7 feels more like an Slr than The chubby KX Dslr and the obese K5. Don't get me wrong I love my dslr's they have their place but I think it is a wonderful thing that the EVF shows you how the camera sees the image, after all what the cameraman sees is only 1" above the Evf.
Just look mmmm! they even put the shutter button back where it should be.
Agree.
About the "how the camera sees the image", I'd say minus any auto-gain function... it's very distracting on my K-01, how is it implemented on the A7?
The shutter button was moved on the grip in the latest iteration, though...
11-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The shutter button was moved on the grip in the latest iteration, though
Pentax would have put it there in the first place!
11-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax would have put it there in the first place!
Yeah probably... much more comfortable, especially with people with big hands/long fingers!