Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Never, ever use a single hard drive for photo storage. You need at least two for redundancy.

Either poor man's RAID (copy the files to each drive), or real RAID. Poor Man's RAID is less convenient but lets you physically separate the drives, and is more immune to operating system/operator errors that might cause data loss.

Of course, the best is a combination of poor man's RAID using multiple RAID arrays.

Right now I'm using a relatively old RAID-5 array of 5x 250GB drives (giving 1TB usable storage since one drive is parity). I need to add a secondary backup mechanism to this, I have been lax in that regard.

I am considering Blu-Ray when the prices drop, but DVD-R in the meantime.
RAID5 or greater gets expensive if you want good quality harddrives, like a WD Raptor.

total storage space as a number is useless if performance is mind, i can set up a rad10 setup with a bunch of 50 dollar harddrives but whats the point, it will be my systems bottleneck.

single unit external harddrives are perfectly fine, RAID5 is for performance junkies.

05-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
200 dollars
1 terabyte of storage,
Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB External Hard Drive: Electronics
if this is "too expensive" for you then you can opt for a 500gb unit for half the price.
good luck filling all that memory up.
I have two of the 500 gb units of this solution, and they are mirrored. If one dies, I'll have the data on the other. I do not run them all the time but do my work on my local disk (separate fault tolerance also in effect) and move files out to the external drives on a batched basis. This cuts way down on the possibility for problems and mitigated the MTBF of these units.

Oh... and if there is ever (knock wood) a fire or disaster in my house, this will be the FIRST thing I collect. Since it's the size of a book, and it contains all critical data in my life (not just photos), I'll be in good shape.

When the time comes (soon) I'll add two more terabyte versions. When the demise of USB devices is imminent, I'll invest in that flavor of drive.

Works very well.

woof!
05-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I was handing down my old computer to my mother-in-law, and I needed to replace the failed harddrive with a new one. Her needs are very modest, so I was looking for the cheapest, smallest drive I could find at the local shop. That turned out to be a 320GB drive for $48. At ~100 images per gigabyte, that's quite a bit of storage for $48. Add $15 for an enclosure, dump your shots onto it, stick it in a safety deposit box and you're covered for just about any disaster.
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Oh... and if there is ever (knock wood) a fire or disaster in my house, this will be the FIRST thing I collect.
No relatives or pets then?

05-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photo Storage

I store my photos on 8 500GB drives. External USB2. I have been getting them from DELL for $99 to $110 each. It is the 500GB My Book Western Digital I believe.

Right now they are $99.

Dell : Western Digital 500 GB USB 2.0 My Book Essential Edition 2.0 External Hard Drive : System Drives : Home & Home Office

Last edited by Robert Barnett; 05-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.