Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

k-50 or k-5 iis?

With black friday/cyber monday incoming; I'm sure that the prices will go down on these cameras even more so I'm thinking of picking one up and selling my k 01.

Question is what do I get? Is the k5iis worth the loss of focus peaking?

11-20-2014, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

The K-5 IIs gives you, among others, a more advanced AF system and a much more professional and full-metal body. I recently upgraded from a Kr to a K3 and as much as I love my old Kr, the K3 is in a totally different league. The top display is quite useful (I mostly have the rear LCD turned off) and the body feels really durable.

If you can afford either, you should definitely go for the K5 IIs. It does everything the K-50 does (except for focus peaking) and most stuff it does much better.
11-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K5 IIs, but I have acquired a classic K5, a K-01, and a K-50, in that order.
Based on this experience, I would say that your choice depends on what kind of photography you do.

The K-01 and K-50 offer the same IQ.
The K-50 is better than the K-01 for action photography,
but worse for the low-light, low shutter speed photography where the K-01 excels.

The K5 series are heavier than the K-01 and K-50,
which is a disadvantage if you want to carry the camera around a lot.
The particular strength of the K5 series lies in the dynamic range of the sensor.
So is that something you might need in your photography?
11-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I would not buy a DSLR without the top LCD display. I can look at it in bright sun (or night, if the backlight is on) and know my settings without looking through the viewfinder. For a quick reference it's indispensable. I'm constantly bumping a wheel and knocking my settings out of whack, the LCD lets me know.

If the light is bright, I don't have much trouble manually focusing with the K5. If it's not bright then I have issues...oh for the day of the 35mm viewfinders!

11-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-50 will give you slightly softer images than K-01 due to the AA filter. But it is WR and has OVF and mirror. The K-5IIs is a top notch camera that has more controls and dials. Since you are not a beginner, I would say K-5IIs. But you might want to keep that K-01, since it is compact and nice for traveling (and peaking, for old manual lenses)
11-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Personally, I would not buy a DSLR without the top LCD display. I can look at it in bright sun (or night, if the backlight is on) and know my settings without looking through the viewfinder. For a quick reference it's indispensable.
Fully agree - it's my primary visual check. I do find it interesting that we all have such specific setting preferences and handling habits and shooting styles.
11-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5IIs definitively.

11-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Question is what do I get? Is the k5iis worth the loss of focus peaking?
...and is the focus peaking on the K-50 that useful?

I agree on the utility of the top LCD. The K-5 IIs build quality is also a consideration...weight penalty too. You sort of have to have both cameras side by side to do a valid comparison.

Steve
11-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you absolutely need that focus peaking? I know somebody who does, using almost always manual lenses... but if that's not the case I would go with K5IIs.
11-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Having first bought the K50, which is a really good camera, and upgrading after a few months everything everyone has mentioned is a consideration. My main objection was the shutter and dust removal system of the k50. The K5ll's shutter is really quiet comparatively and the dust removal feature is quiet and doesn't feel like it is going to shake the camera apart. Then there is the back button layout which I find is very convenient and I will also give kudos to the top lcd. As far as focus peaking I learned a long time ago to focus manual lenses via live view zoom so it isn't anything I miss.
11-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
As far as focus peaking I learned a long time ago to focus manual lenses via live view zoom so it isn't anything I miss.
Ha! I use the live zoom to check focus for landscapes tripod shots, never thought about using in for manual lenses. I will try it.
11-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Ha! I use the live zoom to check focus for landscapes tripod shots, never thought about using in for manual lenses. I will try it.
Works great for Macro.
11-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The K-50 will give you slightly softer images than K-01 due to the AA filter. But it is WR and has OVF and mirror. The K-5IIs is a top notch camera that has more controls and dials. Since you are not a beginner, I would say K-5IIs. But you might want to keep that K-01, since it is compact and nice for traveling (and peaking, for old manual lenses)
Hm, maybe it is worth keeping the k-01 and going with the k-5 IIs. That way I keep focus peaking for my many many manual lenses and have a backup that my brother can use when he wants to take some pictures on our outings.

I'll just have to vanquish the thought of getting a wide angle lens till I get my bonus or something.
11-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
between those 2, id get the k-5iis if i were you, especially if you do low light photography. i have the k-50, its a great camera and I bought it very shortly after it came out. the k-5iis was out of my budget at the time, but if I were to do it again, id try to save a bit more and buy the k-5iis. I have had a couple of frustrating moments trying to autofocus in low-light. I always end up manually focusing and zooming in on the subject in liveview. it works, but just takes more time. not ideal if you're shooting a moving subject in low-light (and wide open). also the top small lcd display of the k-5iis is a huge advantage over the k-50. other than that its a great camera. it all depends on your needs.
11-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2 different cameras.. K50 is a great camera.. but not as good as the K5iis can be.. K5iis feels like a "real" DSLR, good weight, good controls, size, AF, images are sharp, you can use a grip, have top display, focus at -3ev... it just another kind of camera.