other nice features might be:
Built in GPS and WiFi
sweep panorama
better AF especially continuous AF
Tethering
focus bracketing

11-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I really like my K-5. I also have a Canon (can I say that ?) G 12, the small advanced compact, with DSLR type controls on the body.

The feature I have on the G 12 that I would like to see on a K-3 successor....is the articulated monitor screen . Wow....the interesting angles I can get with that well engineered articulated....and robust...screen. It opens up a whole new world of interesting angles.

Other than that, did I mention I really like my K-5 ?

So just a continuously evolved K whatever, to replace the K-3 would be fine.
11-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Forum Member

I used to think OVFs were superior to EVFs, but after a year of using the Sony RX10 and RX1 with EVF, I've really come to appreciate a number of things about EVFs. When I now use my Pentax gear, I really miss some of the advantages of an EVF. I doubt Pentax users are ready to switch en masse to an EVF, but if there was a button that could alternate the viewfinder between live view EVF and regular OVF, or at least if they could project a live histogram onto the OVF view (like a HUD) it would be a start.
11-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

all the ideas are good. For me (although it's killing me not to get a K-3 now I have this reoccurring nightmare that the day after I order the K3 the K3ll comes out} - what would make me happy is...
Articulating screen, video that matches up or comes close to 5D mk111, more megapixels (only if the burst speed doesn't drop). Bring back iso 80.

11-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would replace my K-3 with one with GREAT auto-focus. The K-3 auto-focus was an improvement over the K-5. To replace my K-3 I would need need to see Pentax move to the front of the class in auto-focus.
Other than auto-focus my skill level has not maxed out the K-3's performance capabilities, the K-3 is more than adequate for my needs in all areas other than auto-focus.
11-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In camera focus stacking.
11-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There has been discussion about this in a number of threads, as there tends to be after every new Pentax DSLR has been on the market for a little while. We have to distinguish between the things we'd ultimately like to see and the things that will keep Pentax in the game.

Focusing on the latter, my principal choices for the K-3 successor would be for continued AF improvement (a Great Leap Forward isn't essential, in my view, but noticeable improvement is) and inbuilt wifi and GPS. The other element that's needed is to continue weight reduction, without compromising the feeling of solidity and structural rigidity. With good wifi (the FLUcard is just acceptable, but only just) the need for an articulating screen is largely superseded, and that means less body mass than would be required with such a feature.

A hybrid viewfinder is a nice idea, but in my opinion should be held over for the brighter screen of a 35mm sensor body.

11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Two things would catch my attention: less megapixels and if they're not going to offer FF, make an APS-C with a FF-like optical viewfinder.
11-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the (probably already mentioned) main thing is the fix to current or recently past issues, ie. mirror flop with the upgraded hardware/software implementation available, maybe that is already done on new current models. Just improve what is there is all that is needed to make a rock solid camera. Not a wifi/gps fan so leave that out, improve focus in general, along with any issues to do with flash dead time that is mentioned in other threads.
Yes polish what is there, and bring it out with a 50mm f1.2 D FA.
11-23-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #25

- Not being part of the megapixel race would be good.
- Better video all around, focus on shake reduction and codec.
- Continue to imrpove auto focus.
11-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mmichalak Quote
What features would you like to see in K-3's successor? (No FF!)
I'd like to say a FF sensor, but that's apparently not allowed in this thread.
11-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
in my mind, pentax has always been a little bit of an underdog, the ones that do things slightly differently.

In the world of dslr, they gave us features that were either novel, or had been reserved for more expensive cameras: pentaprism, weather sealing, in body shake reduction, antialias filter simulation...and of course, squeezing every single bit of info out of every sensor they used.

In many ways for me, Pentax offered me more value for my money. I am curious to see what they will come up next

I think, if I had to pick up one or two features at the end of the day, it would be the articulated screen overall, together with whatever advances on the sensors front.

Good suggestions here by all the fellow posters. I like the PDAF/CDAF integration in the optical viewfinder, and using the SR mechanism to shift the sensor for larger captures.

Oh, well, I guess, we will just have to wait and see...
11-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In order to change my K3, Pentax will have to release an AWSOME camera.. ( im aiming to FF but, not allowd in the thread ).. so at this time what i wish to have is:

1- better continuos AF
2- tethering ( especially to use with Lightroom or any other software )
3- GREAT ISO performance ( at least something between 1600 1800 )
4- Flash Sync up to 250 ( same as Canikons )
5- wifi & gps

But to be honest i will preffer to invest in better lenses than to another body unless is something extraordinary that it really shows some great improvements over the K3
11-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with most of the suggestions posted so far but most of them seem to think Pentax will mainly be aiming at up-graders. That is surely one of the design considerations but if they are to remain a viable alternative they need to find a way to attract new users to Pentax. That must be the reason for the excellent series of medium range cameras like the K30 and K50. They have also expanded to the Indian subcontinent during the past year and will want to attract those buyers as well, most of whom will be new to Pentax.
11-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I agree with most of the suggestions posted so far but most of them seem to think Pentax will mainly be aiming at up-graders.
I imagine the thinking of posters was the same as mine: we are talking about the K-3 successor in this thread.