Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I imagine the thinking of posters was the same as mine: we are talking about the K-3 successor in this thread.
Well, sure, me too but there is so much bashing of Pentax for not doing what some existing users might want that I thought it would be good to point out that we should hope Pentax is aiming beyond the existing base.

11-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Well, sure, me too but there is so much bashing of Pentax for not doing what some existing users might want that I thought it would be good to point out that we should hope Pentax is aiming beyond the existing base.
No argument there, from me. However, I think what they've tried to do with the K-S1 is a pointer in that direction, and the technology from the high-end bodies tends to find its way into the entry and intermediate bodies in fairly short order.
11-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

2 versions of K-3 replacement, 1 North American/EU size and 1 for Asian "smallish" fit in terms of size and weight

Tilting LCD
Wi-fi without FLU Card
Built-in ND Filter (?)
11-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
and 1 for Asian "smallish" fit in terms of size and weight
The K-S1

11-24-2014, 03:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Inbuilt variable ND grad
Inbuilt focus bracketing
11-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tilt screen would be nice. Better sensor (this isn't really up to Pentax, but feels like sensors have plateaued for awhile) with better dynamic range and high iso.

I don't care about it, but they might as well do a decent job with video.

They need to come up with better in lens motors -- not just from a longevity standpoint, but also from a speed standpoint. DC motors seem to be better than SDM, but at this point that is what keeps Pentax from being decent with regard to auto focus and tracking compared to the other companies out there.
11-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The only ways that I find my K5iis lacking are in it's autofocus abilities and it's lack of tethering with live view. Put those features in a new body and I'll be doing everything I can to buy it on the first day it's available. Otherwise I'll keep happily using my current camera.

Simplified list:
Autofocus that's at least 90% as good as the competition.
Fully supported tethered shooting with live view over usb3 or better. Wifi is ok as long as a wired connection is also available.

11-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Add the option of SR in video without cropping the frame.

Add the option of using the old MJPEG encoder.

A picture profile like S-Log2 etc.

Those things might be even implemented on older cameras...

Focus peaking during recording, but that was perhaps a limitation thanks to the processor... a newer processor should fix that. It would also fix the bad h264 encoder that Pentax has used so far.

Video AF depends on the sensor... so if Pentax uses a more mirrorless aimed sensor they can implement it.

I'd like to see a bracketing mode that moves the sensor to the corners... so we can easily take photos that are higher res and wider. Using composition adjustment for that is painful and slow.

API that can be accessed through USB or WiFi, which gives full control over the camera and all sensors that are built in.

USB OTG mode... to save a backup of the photos to an external drive when travelling... without having to bring a laptop.
11-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, some really good stuff here. And many don't seem to be super expensive options, but would add a lot to the user experience.
11-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Inbuilt variable ND grad
Inbuilt focus bracketing
I second those two, but ND is a very very video feature. High end video gear has ND filters built in. Won't happen unless Pentax shifts the focus towards video. A lot.

In general I find this thread quite amusing... plenty of video stuff. Articulated screen... benefits video a lot. Better AF... coming to you thanks to video (PDAF on sensor to get decent video AF... but also benefits stills if it is a mirrorless camera). As the AF comes on the sensor there is less for Pentax to do to improve it.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
11-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I second those two, but ND is a very very video feature.
Doesn't the Q have built in ND? Very different camera, of course, with different needs
11-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'd vote for
- wireless photos transmision between memory card and PC (I'd simply like to insert my cards to camera slots and never see them again...)
- tilting LCD screen, agreed
- inbuilt GPS (say O-GPS1 functions standard in camera body)
- more MPx... yes, but it's getting more important in case that the new body will be FF (more MPx would allow using current DA lenses and cropping to get rid of vignetting - I guess Nikon has such solution in FF cameras if I'm not wrong (?))
- in case of K-3 even ISO 6400 gives reasonable noise level. I'd not protest when the successor comes with ISO 12800 also that good
- more AF points
- even better shake-stabilizer

Better video? I never use it, but I don't mind.

Smaller size - only if it's not against the almost perfect K-3 ergonomy
Less weight - NO, as the balance camera x (heavy) lenses would be getting worse
Built-in O-GPS would be an astrophotographers dream!

But it is a specialized application and I wonder if they would want to negate the separate GPS sales.

But boy, it would be an head turner for the astrophotography market.
11-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Built-in O-GPS would be an astrophotographers dream!

But it is a specialized application and I wonder if they would want to negate the separate GPS sales.

But boy, it would be an head turner for the astrophotography market.
I'd like it so I can see where I have taken my photos... especially during travels. Beats using a geo logger and syncing it in Lightroom. Separate GPS sales would break away, but how strong were they in the first place?

@Na Horuk: Seems like some Q lenses have a ND filter, but not the camera itself. In general it's something you'd see on cameras that don't have an aperture (is that too expensive?) or on better video cameras. Most of the times, for stills, if you want to reduce the amount of light that hits the sensor you can reduce the shutter speed without too much of an effect. For video that isn't possible, you'd get the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan though you don't want it.

I wouldn't mind if Pentax used a more advanced processor, something like the Samsung DRIMe 5 (NX1), a smartphone processor derivative. Helps speeding up the UI and many other things, and comes with WiFi and GPS.

A tilting screen would be nice, and no, I don't think better tethering options negate that. First of all that might drain the batteries even faster, secondly where do you put your phone? You only have 2 hands, and they are probably busy holding the camera. Unless you get something like Google Glass or there is a smartphone mount that can be attached to a hotshoe... not an alternative for many situations (though sometimes it'd be better, yes).

Transfering the photos wirelessly to a computer... good luck transfering a 32 GB or even larger SD card via WiFi. Apart from the drain on the battery it is going to take forever, even when a proper WiFi module with antenna is fitted, not something like a Flucard, they are even slower. Now WiFi is certainly important, but maybe not for transfering large amounts of data. More for tethering purposes, IMHO, or occasionally transfering a photo or two.
11-28-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is fun about this is that in all likelihood Pentax will incorporate many of the things discussed in this thread but almost certainly there will be features we never thought of. Of course, not everything dreamed about will be in the new camera. That is just part of the fun.
11-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by mmichalak Quote
Pretty much what the title says..

--Better Video
I know most people do not care about video on their DLSR, but I do
I think 4K will not happen any time soon for Pentax, but I would at least like autofocus. Then again, with an old AF lens, you are likely to be hearing the motor of the lens in the video... But I don't know... It would be nice to have more choices re. video shooting, such as compression options.
Mike

I'm with you on the Video. It probably wouldnt hold me back but it would be fun to have professional quality video at your disposal like the GH4.