Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
You need to take a break max! You have to slow down! You're losing it. You have to take a breath! Listen to yourself! You're connecting a computer bug I had, with a computer bug you might have had, and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world? You will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out, and find that thing everywhere!
"Pi" was such a great flick! Soundtrack, too.

11-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The question here is not IF there will be a new high-end APS-C flagship, because there will be a new APS-C flagship soon.. Why? because Nikon is already working on the D7200. and even Samsung just announced the NX1 at $1500 with 28.2 megapixel APS-C BSI-CMOS sensor ( increse light sensitivity by 30%, and lower energy usage), Hybrid AF system with 205 phase-detect points, 15 fps.. and many other things.. so. the company CAN NOT be left behind in that market..

On the other hand Sony just announced the A7ii at an estimated price of $1600 / $1700 .. so if Pentax wants to get in that mirrorless FF race the announcement have to be soon.. within the next few months.. and price should not be higher than the $2000.

So.. something big is coming.. and it have to be soon.. CP+ could be the date...

Last edited by kooks; 11-24-2014 at 08:30 PM.
11-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #33
Veteran Member

kooks
I support your comments , they make sense
11-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
So.. something big is coming.. and it have to be soon..
True.
Even if Pentax already have a very good flagship of their own, their competitors aren't standing still, so they can't either.

11-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given that Pentax high end cameras are typically updated every 18 months, the time when you might expect a K-3 successor is approaching. The K-3 only looks strong against the Nikon D7100 at the moment and that will be probably updated soon. I think the fact that the K-3 sells for less than half the Canon 7D 2 is reason enough for Ricoh to aim higher.

I think people get a bit obsessed with the idea that development of one camera means the delay of another, or the delay of lenses. The technology of one DSLR will help the development of another, like the K-3 enabled the 645D. If Ricoh really does want to make full frame DSLR, it'll need to be more advanced that the K-3, and that technology might as well be shared with a top class APS-C model. I'm sure the teams working on lenses have separate timelines to those working on cameras, and anyway high end cameras create the need for high end lenses. I'm sure Ricoh has planned both.
11-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #36

For folks not wanting to wait, Adorama will have a Black Friday deal on the K-3: $796
11-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
their competitors aren't standing still, so they can't either.
Thats the thing Rawr.. competitors are moving, technology is moving, and costumers are looking for the best system that they can get for the best price.. So if Ricoh wants to be part of this game they need to move along the competitors... K3 is a great camera, i love it.. but technology is moving fast...

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 09:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
So should I hold off buying the K-3 now and wait for a K-3ii with built in wifi?
You can hold it.. but you cant expect the same price.. the next APS-C could be at least at the same price as when the K3 were release so that means something around $1300 ( at least ).. so if you get the K3 now at $780 with the grip and other extras you are saving at least $500 / 600 ( this is a price of a nice lens ) ..

So it all depends of what you are looking for.. In my case im wating for the FF so im not buying any APS-C glass for the next months, until the FF release ( if there is a release ) is more clear..

BUT, if you plan to stick with APS-C now is a good time to get a K3.. or even a K5iis..

Last edited by kooks; 11-24-2014 at 08:49 PM.
11-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A K-3 II, like the K-5 IIs, would need some noticeable hardware and feature improvements over it's predecessor to justify the 'II'. I'm not sure exactly what they could add - maybe enhanced AF hardware? a newer PRIME chip? A flippy screen?

And any K-2 or K-4 (or whatever) upgrade would need to feature some very big changes and improvements indeed. Akin to the jump we saw from the K-5II to K-3. I just can't see what those changes could be within APS-C.

But I suppose manufacturers don't always need much excuse to create a new model - eg the Nikon D610 is practically identical to the D600, ditto the D810 vs D800. Freshens things up, helps sales.
I agree. I just don't see what they can add given the current technology level at this time. I hope the FF K-1 is the next release with updated D-FA* Limited lenses. I have a few issues with the K-3, but overall its still one of the best APS-C bodies you can buy at any price. The AF speed of the lens motors is probably the biggest weakness at this point.
11-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree. I just don't see what they can add given the current technology level at this time. I hope the FF K-1 is the next release with updated D-FA* Limited lenses. I have a few issues with the K-3, but overall its still one of the best APS-C bodies you can buy at any price. The AF speed of the lens motors is probably the biggest weakness at this point.
Lenss will be a completely separate team so no effect on body release schedules
As great as the k3 is there is still room for improvement yes af needs faster lenses but af accuracy, predictive accuracy and tracking all are not lens reliant
Sensor improvements are not lens reliant
Flash control and accuracy is not a lens function
All these things can improve
So can video
Adding a tilt screen (a feature I thought silly until I got it on my xt1)
And of course the Nikon will be updating Pentax really has no choice but to update to remain competitive
And as mentioned previously a ff and a flagship apsc can share tech developments lowering overall unit cost
There will of course be features not in the apsc that will be in the FF but the core will be shared
Also faster better processors
Dual sd
..... There are tons of things that can move
If you don't need them to save the money and put it in to lenses a better long term thing anyway
11-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As great as the k3 is there is still room for improvement yes af needs faster lenses but af accuracy, predictive accuracy and tracking all are not lens reliant
So can video
And of course the Nikon will be updating Pentax really has no choice but to update to remain competitive
And as mentioned previously a ff and a flagship apsc can share tech developments lowering overall unit cost
There will of course be features not in the apsc that will be in the FF but the core will be shared
Dual sd
If you don't need them to save the money and put it in to lenses a better long term thing anyway
Yes. Things can be updated, but are these incremental changes enough to justify a new body?
Is Nikon releasing a D400? Nikon and Sony are both upgrading, but the K-3 is very competitive with everything.
Maybe they can get faster processors, but I have not seen anything new from Fujitsu, so Ricoh would have to change suppliers to get something new. Maybe the ditch Fujitsu and go to a multi core ARM processor like Samsung. Maybe they go to the new Samsung sensor as well.

K-3 already has dual SD slots.

In the past Pentax has adopted new Sony sensors after Nikon and Sony have put them into cameras. Maybe Ricoh is going to change that and be the first to use the new sensors. Nikon and Sony really haven't introduced much in terms of APS-C. The A77II is nice, but not a real threat to the K-3.
11-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
So can video
Dual sd
From my perspective, the primary benefit of a tilting screen is its use in being inconspicuous in taking pictures - that is, you can look down and "fiddle with your camera" while in fact taking a picture. That might make more sense on a camera that doesn't follow the currently-common stealth look (rounded and black) used by most professional level cameras and pioneered by the Canon T-90. In that sense, a tilting screen might make a lot of sense on Pentax cameras since they are one of the brands that has not stuck to the stealth look.
11-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A K-3II would be, I think, likely. There was that whole thing with Amazon about 10 days ago where they listed the K-3 (old model) for about 24 hours. So that could indicate that a new K-3 model is on the horizon.
11-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes. Things can be updated, but are these incremental changes enough to justify a new body?
Is Nikon releasing a D400? Nikon and Sony are both upgrading, but the K-3 is very competitive with everything.
Maybe they can get faster processors, but I have not seen anything new from Fujitsu, so Ricoh would have to change suppliers to get something new. Maybe the ditch Fujitsu and go to a multi core ARM processor like Samsung. Maybe they go to the new Samsung sensor as well.

K-3 already has dual SD slots.

In the past Pentax has adopted new Sony sensors after Nikon and Sony have put them into cameras. Maybe Ricoh is going to change that and be the first to use the new sensors. Nikon and Sony really haven't introduced much in terms of APS-C. The A77II is nice, but not a real threat to the K-3.
I mean in terms of Image quality,how much can be improved on the K3?? OK AFcan be better & wifi / video,but I think this will be a small update to show that Ricoh is not alseep...But give us the new zooms..much more important to me..and give us a FF date before Nikon gets all my $$
11-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I mean in terms of Image quality,how much can be improved on the K3??
Dont really know about new APS-C technology besides the one that is using Samsung with the NX1.. but who knows.. perhaps Pentax can use the same technology too.. one thing is for sure.. that extra 30% of light and enery saving that the NX1 can handle will push the APS-C market to equal that.. or even improve it. if Nikon/Pentax release a new APS-C camera that doesnt equal that technology both are going to be in disadvantage.. of course Samsung market is minimum but still it counts.

So or Sony comes up with a sensor that is BSI or Pentax might change the sensor supplier in order to keep updated.

Actually im happy with the idea of a FF camera with K3 features at a really competitive price.. so who knows..
11-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Well wait a bit guys... Samsung blabla is nice but the Samsung isn't even properly tested yet.
Samsung sensors have been not bad at all but quite a bit lagging behind Sony's.
I fear Samsung's new sensor IQ may just be good enough to compete with Sony's, nothing more.
It's nice technically from Samsung but the day Sony does the same trick, bye bye Samsung.

All of this IMO and with my 2 cents of course.