Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The new FF will have to be quite an already complete (at least 4 or 5 lenses from the start) and handy system, if they want to succeed selling it....
They have to show very serious about their commitment to this new product-line... let's hope they will stick to K-mount...
more than 4-5 lenses already in place ( a couple may need a renew to DFA naming but they have been tested by people on FF (either mirrorless/canon or film) this is off the top of my head but there are dozens of posts on what is compatible
DA35 LTD
31/43/77
100 macro
50 macro
50 1.4
50 1.8
and the TC I believe

need a 20, 24, 28 85 135 and at least 2 zooms (24-70/70-200 - though a UWA zoom is needed as well)

Sigma fills a lot of gaps as well (And I imagine will add pentax mount to a number of lenses once FF is out and they are doing a new run on the lens)

11-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Scratch the 35ltd and add the DA35/2.4.
11-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Sigma fills a lot of gaps as well
I can hardly wait to use my Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art on a FF!
11-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I can hardly wait to use my Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art on a FF!
based on the samples i've seen on the d800 amongst others all the art ff lenses are really capable

11-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is an articulating screen that more useful than a tilting screen?
Most camera manufacturers seem to settle for a tilting screen, and I would that to be much less complicated to provide.
Not really, but that's the term most use to describe a tilting screen. The biggest help is in low or high level shots. although now that you mention it full articulation might be very useful at times. The downside is durability

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
From my perspective, the primary benefit of a tilting screen is its use in being inconspicuous in taking pictures - that is, you can look down and "fiddle with your camera" while in fact taking a picture. That might make more sense on a camera that doesn't follow the currently-common stealth look (rounded and black) used by most professional level cameras and pioneered by the Canon T-90. In that sense, a tilting screen might make a lot of sense on Pentax cameras since they are one of the brands that has not stuck to the stealth look.
Maybe you only shoot street photos and I almost never do, but I do a lot of macro or scenics at low level or above my head. I run into this a lot. Also shooting over people to keep them out of the frame etc. I recently was in some caves in Chattanooga shooting some underground waterfalls where I needed to shoot over people but using a lot of guess work with about a 20% success rate which would have been way easier with much better results it I had a tilt screen. With an articulating screen I can see where could get some great candids of kids/grandkids etc. in their natural habitat
11-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Not really, but that's the term most use to describe a tilting screen. The biggest help is in low or high level shots. although now that you mention it full articulation might be very useful at times. The downside is durability
Well it really depends on how it's built, but I'd say that even a tilting screen (if by that we mean that the screen only tilts so that you can look at it from the top side of the camera) is inherently more prone to malfunctions than a fixed one. I guess they'd use a flex instead of sliding contacts, but still...
11-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well it really depends on how it's built, but I'd say that even a tilting screen (if by that we mean that the screen only tilts so that you can look at it from the top side of the camera) is inherently more prone to malfunctions than a fixed one. I guess they'd use a flex instead of sliding contacts, but still...
I recently saw a new Nikon with a tilting screen (both up and down), that screen was built like a tank, so with a solid build, which Pentax is known for, I wouldn't worry too much about durability.

11-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I think most tilt for from below or above, I have to say it's a nice feature (the OMDE5 I tried had a touch screen version which you could select focus point with (a pretty cool feature) no touch scren on the XT1 but a good tilting screen that I've already used a couple of times and I can see being very useful for macro (particularly if you have a rail)
11-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Everyone is talking about grand plans of big releases ... lenses, bodies, features, etc. The clearing out could be all part of Ricoh's pressing control-alt-delete on the entire product naming structure.

The Q7 got a refresh (vs. a major overhaul) and became the Q-S1.

The K-mount line got the K-S1.

The K-3 could be getting a gentle refresh and be renamed to K-[new letter]1.
11-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think most tilt for from below or above, I have to say it's a nice feature (the OMDE5 I tried had a touch screen version which you could select focus point with (a pretty cool feature) no touch scren on the XT1 but a good tilting screen that I've already used a couple of times and I can see being very useful for macro (particularly if you have a rail)
With Macro a tilting screen is very useful if you have old knees.
11-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
With Macro a tilting screen is very useful if you have old knees.

And as it happens I do
11-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #72

I bet the K-3 gets a K-3II (tilt screen?) by the end of 2015 and the FF slots in above it in time for the holidays. I wouldn't expect anything you can buy until later in 2015.

Look at Ricoh's introduction of the 645Z—there was a 645D II mockup/concept on display at CP+ 2014 and it was made official many months later.
11-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #73

Photos: Gallery
With the new TC out, I'm thinking there may be an update to the K-3 with the ability to focus reliably with f/8 lenses. To me this is a clear photographer centric upgrade that should be on Ricoh's list.
11-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote

Look at Ricoh's introduction of the 645Z—there was a 645D II mockup/concept on display at CP+ 2014 and it was made official many months later.
But i think that MF cameras market doesnt change as fast as the FF is now.. So RICOH have to know that each day that they delay their FF release is a day that competitors have to sell their products to new costumers.. So perhaps in this case they will have to be moving faster that what they did before. ( or at least i hope that they do )... I will love to see a FF announced by CP+ and a few time later the official release... let see how it goes.
11-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #75
Pentaxian

No way Ricoh will wait for months between a prototype and the announcement.
They may announce FF without too much detail and they'd announce the camera itself later. But they won't give the other guys information about what they're about to intro.