Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 217
Next new Pentax

OK....I was planning on spring for a K-3 when the price was $896. But members here helped convince me a new prime would really better suit me so I'm going for a DA 15. But now the K-3 has been discounted again. Does this mean there is a chance a new Pentax will be out soon? Are there any rumors? If so what and when?

Actually even if a new camera comes out I'm going to wait until the new camera bugs have been worked out. My K-5 was purchased a month after it was released and my first one had stains...the second one has been good. S/N 3901936.

11-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,331
I think we all now suspect there is something afoot, but not because of any rumours, just because of the K-3 discounts. But I do hope we get an insider scoop soon!
11-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
Discontinued? I remember a thread about this, but it turned out it was a typo on the website, AFAIK...
Sorry, misread it!
11-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 217
Original Poster
I hope it has paddle shifters.

11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,168
QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
OK....I was planning on spring for a K-3 when the price was $896. But members here helped convince me a new prime would really better suit me so I'm going for a DA 15. But now the K-3 has been discounted again. Does this mean there is a chance a new Pentax will be out soon? Are there any rumors? If so what and when?

Actually even if a new camera comes out I'm going to wait until the new camera bugs have been worked out. My K-5 was purchased a month after it was released and my first one had stains...the second one has been good. S/N 3901936.
Almost certainly there will be january announcements at PMA Photokina is too far off and those are the 2 biggest shows
11-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
fwbigd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 299
The drastic price drop of both the K-3 and K5IIs probably means that Ricoh is trying clear the old stock out before the much awaited FF model is official announced in the spring of 2015.
11-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Rimfiredude's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,175
Keep em droppin baby. Maybe I will be able to get my K3 sooner.
11-24-2014, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,168
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
The drastic price drop of both the K-3 and K5IIs probably means that Ricoh is trying clear the old stock out before the much awaited FF model is official announced in the spring of 2015.
K3 and K5 wouldn't impact FF sales at all this will be for K3 replacement (maybe K3 is headed for the K5 role) FF is a whole new category and will sell for a lot more than K3 was selling for. My guess is they will enter in the 2 grand + range not at thge stripped out entry range (like the 6d and d600) and be more a Nikon 750 or F competitor. still room for a quality K3 upgrade

11-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 112
+1 @eddie1960

Was thinking the same thing.
FF
Crop
etc.

K-3II, but didn't the K5II and K5iis run together at the same time?
11-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,061
What other lens do you have? it's possible that they will be outresolved by the K3. I had a similar choice to make between getting the DA15 and upgrading from K5 to K5IIs (K3 was not available at that time). I would go for the lens. If you just post photos on web, I doubt there will be any significant difference regarding IQ (from K5 to K3). If you need AF in low light, K3 would be a significant improvement. But I would still go for the lens, from my experience body prices tend to constantly go down while the lens prices stay constant. I would not be surprised to find even better K3 deals in the future. Also, consider getting the lens now, then selling the K5 to get some fund raising for a K3 later.
11-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
K3 and K5 wouldn't impact FF sales at all this will be for K3 replacement (maybe K3 is headed for the K5 role) FF is a whole new category and will sell for a lot more than K3 was selling for. My guess is they will enter in the 2 grand + range not at thge stripped out entry range (like the 6d and d600) and be more a Nikon 750 or F competitor. still room for a quality K3 upgrade
So your reasoning means that there will actually be two high-end Pentax cameras released in the not-so-distant future: "the" FF and an APS-C flagship.
11-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,168
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
So your reasoning means that there will actually be two high-end Pentax cameras released in the not-so-distant future: "the" FF and an APS-C flagship.
makes sense if the FF is coming in 2015, because KS1 to FF is a hellishly large gap in the lineup
11-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
makes sense if the FF is coming in 2015, because KS1 to FF is a hellishly large gap in the lineup
K-3 was announced at the beginning of October last year... so a K-3II should be any day now, I guess? and a possible K-FF leaked just before CP+, then officially announced...
11-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,168
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
K-3 was announced at the beginning of October last year... so a K-3II should be any day now, I guess? and a possible K-FF leaked just before CP+, then officially announced...
forgot about CP+ yeah that makes sense. They need to have the 3 apsc cameras in play and then drop in a FF. K500 replacement may come as well there really is no entry model just old clear outs
like the 50 and 5ii/s
11-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,935
For some reason many still think that full frame is to be announced, the fall will be hard hitting. Especially when a K-3 successor is announced. I think it was 2 years from K-5 to K-5II/IIs then one year to the K-3, it is possible that the K-3 successor could be announced next year for November 2015 release. I still think Ricoh are undecided on a full frame release, for me, development of FF does not = it is coming.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, camera, cameras, competitors, ff, format, im, k-3, k3, level, lot, medium, mf, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, price, release, screen, sense, sensor, stealth, technology, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photorumors: Pentax FF next year, new DFA's etc. thibs Pentax News and Rumors 9 10-26-2013 03:44 PM
[suggestion] New function for next Pentax APS-C DSLR Nass Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-08-2010 07:46 AM
New Pentax Photo Samples Next Week benjikan Pentax News and Rumors 23 01-21-2008 01:46 AM
Lets talk about the next-next Pentax codiac2600 Pentax News and Rumors 63 01-14-2008 08:01 PM
Pentax Next New Model ? Patent Jan-07 in US BigMac Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 06-14-2007 01:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top