Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
CeciProAm's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 682
What is the best remote to purchase to use with my new K-3?

I thought picking a remote button pusher would be fairly easy but the array is mind-boggling.
What do you use and/or recommend?

Sometimes, I find that moving away from the camera & engaging my subject from a different
angle makes a stellar portrait shot, so I love using a remote but I am clueless as to which one
to get....Pentax, offbrand, what????

11-24-2014, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
ZoeB's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Posts: 886
I have one of these: Wireless IR Remote Control for Pentax Camera (1*CR2025) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Works like a charm. (Or rather, as well as my camera will cooperate with it)
11-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,323
I am using the Pixel TW 282 intervalometer (review HERE). So far I'm very satisfied with the results, only problem is that it takes some additional seconds to connect it to the camera before you shoot. I'm thinking of getting another cheap basic remote when I don't need other functions.
11-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 397
I use any recent Samsung Galaxy series device with an IR blaster. My phone if I'm in need of a single remote, then my tablet if I want to leave it there as an intervalometer.

11-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,516
IR remotes are fine, but they do have limited range and risks of disturbances from other light sources (including the Sun). So, for the ultimate "freedom to operate", you might consider a radio wireless remote of this type:

Hahnel Innovative Accessories

Look for the Canon EOS-fit models that are also compatible with Pentax. Both similar and simpler Chinese clones can be found very modestly priced on eBay - but don't ask me about the quality of those.
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,333
I've been using the Pentax Remote Control F and have not had any problems. I recently bought the O-RC1 which is waterproof although I never had a problem with the older one. Just my $0.02.
11-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 125
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
I use any recent Samsung Galaxy series device with an IR blaster. My phone if I'm in need of a single remote, then my tablet if I want to leave it there as an intervalometer.
You mean like a Galaxy phone? How does that work?
11-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 52
I've been using the JJC RM-E7 remote for Pentax. No problems.

Amazon.com : IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-5 II, K-5 II s, K-50, K-30, K-500, X-5, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Lens

11-24-2014, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 397
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinG Quote
You mean like a Galaxy phone? How does that work?
Starting with the GTab 2 in the tablet line and the S4, there is an IR blaster at the top of the phone near the headphone jack. You can download a paid remote app with universal IR functionality if you want to use it for a lot of things, but there is another one I use (don't remember the exact name, just search dslr remote) that works with most major camera brands.

The dslr remote app has timers, intervalometer settings, and lots of things. There is even a night mode were everything goes to red and black to keep from totally killing your night vision (assuming you leave it on the app screen not the lock screen or flashlight, obviously). I really like it. I started using it in a pinch while I was in London and just decided to keep using it. It doesn't have a super long range, but it is great for triggering remote sots and still being in them. I mainly use it for purposes where I don't want to touch the camera and mess up the shot. I will definitely start using it with my new K-3 using the mirror lockup function once it comes in .

Plus, if you already have the hardware, you don't have to spend money on a remote, or carry an extra device. There are other brands with this feature besides Sammy, that just happens to be what I use.
11-24-2014, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,622
I use an RC-4, very cheap, and a Pentax Remote Control F, both work well, the cheap one is larger and has more range (around 25 ft +). Any of the cheap ebay remotes should work. Id you want to see the difference in size, here's a photo. I use both but I prefer the larger one since it doesn't get lost in my pocket as easily.
11-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,178
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Starting with the GTab 2 in the tablet line and the S4, there is an IR blaster at the top of the phone near the headphone jack. You can download a paid remote app with universal IR functionality if you want to use it for a lot of things, but there is another one I use (don't remember the exact name, just search dslr remote) that works with most major camera brands.

The dslr remote app has timers, intervalometer settings, and lots of things. There is even a night mode were everything goes to red and black to keep from totally killing your night vision (assuming you leave it on the app screen not the lock screen or flashlight, obviously). I really like it. I started using it in a pinch while I was in London and just decided to keep using it. It doesn't have a super long range, but it is great for triggering remote sots and still being in them. I mainly use it for purposes where I don't want to touch the camera and mess up the shot. I will definitely start using it with my new K-3 using the mirror lockup function once it comes in .

Plus, if you already have the hardware, you don't have to spend money on a remote, or carry an extra device. There are other brands with this feature besides Sammy, that just happens to be what I use.

I bought an inexpensive wired remote but the app does everything that it does and it's wireless to boot! All I can say is wow! I have a Galaxy Note 3 and the app downloaded and installed in seconds and worked right off as soon as I set the camera up for remote operation.


*edit* Either the pentax version is default or the app somehow knew I was using a Pentax camera because when I start it up it it says "Infrared (Pentax) at the top of the screen.
11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 397
You're phone too? I thought it might just be because I had another pentax remote set up.
11-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,178
I considered the possibility that the camera was somehow handshaking with the app but I don't think it's that's sophisticated. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was that way before I even switched the camera on. I think, for whatever reason, Pentax is just the preselected default.
11-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 397
that would require an IR emitter in the camera and a receiver in the phone, neither of which are the case. It can only mean one thing... The app dev is a man of excellent taste.
11-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,021
And of course, with the Flu card you can take shots and change settings from your phone's web browser.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best way to take my K-3 on bike rides? Outis General Photography 22 06-30-2014 04:38 PM
How to pair my Pentax O-RC1 remote to my K-3. ronin67 Pentax K-3 3 01-22-2014 03:25 AM
Suggest for which is the best len to use with my K5 IIs at Night stevewong Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-14-2013 03:16 AM
What is the best lens to use for birding at 500mm eq. ? jpzk Pentax Q 47 02-15-2013 12:50 PM
What is the best method to use to capture slow moving subjects with a manual lens? Vantage-Point Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 01-28-2012 01:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top