Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K3 Batteries and other questions

I have a couple of questions about the K3 Batteries now that I have ordered one.

I understand that the battery is different than that of the K5. I am not sure if it's just the insides that are different or the outsides (dimensions) too.

Can you use a K5 battery in a K3? Or can you use a K3 battery in a K5?

Also what is the average price for a genuine Pentax K3 battery?

I looked them up online at several retailers but I am not sure if those are regular prices or sale prices. If they are sale prices I will go ahead and order a few while they are cheaper.

Also, I have never used the extended grip on any Pentax camera. Does the K3 grip itself also need or include a battery?

11-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check the B&H website. The DL190 is compatible with K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-7, K-01, K-3, 645D, and 645Z. This is one of the unsung benefits of Pentax DSLRs. Their top tier camera batteries haven't changed over six models. Why don't all manufacturers do this?
11-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 batteries and K3 batteries are the same, grips are not.
I am not sure if grips come with a new battery but in these models you can use either AAA or the aforesaid DL190 batteries.
11-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
K5 batteries and K3 batteries are the same, grips are not.
I am not sure if grips come with a new battery but in these models you can use either AAA or the aforesaid DL190 batteries.
I don't have the K5 grip. I've never even seen one except in pictures. The K3 comes with it so I will give it a try....I might not even like it. Who knows.

for some reason I thought the batteries between the K5 and the K3 were different....but I guess not....

Now I am just wondering if those prices I see are 'standard prices' or are those part of the sales going on? $40 for one battery is kind of steep but hey it is what it is to invest in a proven 'good' battery.

11-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
for some reason I thought the batteries between the K5 and the K3 were different....but I guess not....
maybe you mixed it up with the K50 (K500, K30), as far as i know they use other batteries
11-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
maybe you mixed it up with the K50 (K500, K30), as far as i know they use other batteries
Correct.. he K50, K30, Kr, use differnet batteries than the K5, K5iis, K3 and other models.. also notice that K50, K30, Kr can use AA batteries too with the adaptor.. the Hi-end models can not.
11-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
also notice that K50, K30, Kr can use AA batteries too with the adaptor.. the Hi-end models can not.
Hi end models (K-5, K-3 etc) can use AA batteries in the grip.
The grip will come with an AA tray.
The grip does not come with a DLi90 just the tray to load it into. (So the grip comes with two trays)
DLi90 run about $45 US for the Pentax version, and less for third party brands.

11-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The grip does not come with a DLi90 just the tray to load it into. (So the grip comes with two trays)
I have a bunch of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.... but I will more than likely get at least a couple of replacement/spare Pentax batteries.

I will test that hand grip and see if I like it or not. Then based on that figure out how many batteries I might need.

About $45 is what I saw on the prices.... so if I pick up a couple I guess that's not too bad of a deal. I can get those later on after I try recovering from going broke over Christmas.
11-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sorry sorry yes.. you are correct there.. with the grip you can use AA.. but without it just the DLi90 .. forgot that detail..

You might also want to check out the Wasabi batteries.. i use those along with the original battery and both are great..
11-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Next question... on the grip... what do the batteries actually run? Do they actually help run the camera itself or does the grip just need a power supplement after it's attached?

With the DLi90 in the body and in the grip do I get twice the shooting time or is one battery dedicated to the body and the other some function of the grip?
11-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The battery in the grip is to run the camera so you could get up two double the run time if you have both installed.
In the camera menu you can tell the system how to use them.
The grip does not require any power it is basically a shell with corresponding buttons to those on the camera when held in portrait orientation.
You could use the grip with no battery installed in it if you wanted just for the extra buttons and ergonomics.

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 09:55 PM ----------

11-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

The battery grip for the K3 is unique to the camera, the menu will allow you to select 3 options for power with the grip 1 both battery's as the camera see's fit or 2 grip battery first or 3 camera battery first, I use grip first and when that's run down I can swap in a fresh one, with out breaking the grip from the camera, If I have remembered to bring one, so the camera fitted battery is just there as a back up so to say, personally I never use third party battery's as these I think may cause problems like the machine gun firing problems some have experienced, the best deal money wise, if you are going to use a grip on the camera nearly full time is to buy a Limited edition Silver/Prestige model they come with a grip and 2 battery's, also recently bundled freebies such as Pentax 35mm F2.4 or 50mm f1.8 lens.
12-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There was a change in the battery about 2 years ago with the addition of an extra contact (was three now four as I recall). The claim was that it better grounded the battery and brought it into compliance with an EEC mandate of some sort (also upped the price incidentally). I have each kind in my kit and can find no difference between the old and new versions of the same battery.
12-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There was a change in the battery about 2 years ago with the addition of an extra contact (was three now four as I recall). The claim was that it better grounded the battery and brought it into compliance with an EEC mandate of some sort (also upped the price incidentally). I have each kind in my kit and can find no difference between the old and new versions of the same battery.
I have one of the battery with the extra contact (4 contacts instead of 3). This one with 4 contacts I bought it in Japan, the rest (with 3 contacts) are bought in North America (including the latest one (come with k-3) marked 2014 08. I think 4 contacts are for Japanese compliance standard (perhaps may be Asia), not sure though. But it all works the same IMHO.
12-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have one of the battery with the extra contact (4 contacts instead of 3). This one with 4 contacts I bought it in Japan, the rest (with 3 contacts) are bought in North America (including the latest one (come with k-3) marked 2014 08. I think 4 contacts are for Japanese compliance standard (perhaps may be Asia), not sure though. But it all works the same IMHO.
Perhaps it was Japanese electrical standards and not the EEC. Somehow I ended up with one in my yellow K-01 and I agree - no difference in performance.