Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Buyer's remorse?

Not really sure where this should go, but I figured it couldn't be wrong here.

So here's the deal. I placed an order for a K3 on adorama's earlypeek deal at a price of 796.95 with free grip on forum speculation that last Friday's price was likely the lowest price that it would go in experience from previous year's sales. Now I am seeing these other deals pop up on the k5iis and a few other bundles on the k3, so I can't help but wonder if something better is coming Friday.
What should I do here? Not open the camera when it comes in to wait and see if there's a much better price, and if so get it and send this one back? See if adorama will possibly credit the difference instead? What's they proper call?

I know, I know. Ignore the price, enjoy the camera. But since it isn't in yet, it's hard to do that, so I have just been browsing the forums.

Thanks!

11-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Decisions, decisions...
11-24-2014, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm...

Well, here's my take on it. The K-3 is the flagship Pentax (APS-c) body and likely will be for a couple more years, at least.
It was released almost exactly one year ago, Oct 2013 iirc. At a price of $1,300, body only. Now it's somewhat under one thousand and you're getting the body and OEM grip for $800.
Or, you could wait awhile and MAYBE get it for $750, or perhaps some other deal that seems better.
Or, wait a year and maybe it will be $700.
Those last two options mean you'll have a few extra dollars jingling in your pocket, but no camera until you find, purchase and receive the 'better' deal.
Wait! You could also open your camera in a few days and enjoy it.
What sounds better?
Ron
11-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Not really sure where this should go, but I figured it couldn't be wrong here.
Actually, the stcky at the top of the General Talk forum clearly states "Photography related threads do not belong in General Talk"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/172229-photography-relate...-gen-talk.html

Moved to the proper forum.

11-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I will be really surprise if it will be "much better deal" on BF. You did pretty good, imo.
Me too , no regrets.
11-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I don't believe the price will go lower. $799 is already $100 off the previous price, so it was an early black friday deal. But yes, if it does go lower, Adorama should be able to credit you the difference.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

Sounds like a good deal since it includes the grip. I would have paid the extra $50 for the flash. I bought my 540 after I got my K10D. Forgot how much but it's wasn't that inexpensive.

11-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FWIW, I don't believe the price will go lower. $799 is already $100 off the previous price, so it was an early black friday deal. But yes, if it does go lower, Adorama should be able to credit you the difference.
This is nice to know...that if they drop it even lower then maybe I can get a credit.

To the OP...I have had exactly the same thoughts... should I or shouldn't I pounce... so I pounced too on that Adorama deal...at this point lets say the price drops another $50...(which I think is unlikely)....I don't know if it's worth it to worry about it that much. Money doesn't grow on trees I know, but sometimes penny pinching TOO MUCH can lead to too much heartburn.

Just go with it. The camera will eventually wear out over time but if you get 2 or 3 years use out of it.... will that $50 spread over that time really make that big of a difference?

I know the early adopters who bought in when the camera was going for a lot more money are probably not happy.... but for us who are more or less late to the game...it's not really an issue so long as you're committed to the K3 and not looking for the IIs or something that is on mad crazy good sale right now as well....
11-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, the stcky at the top of the General Talk forum clearly states "Photography related threads do not belong in General Talk"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/172229-photography-relate...-gen-talk.html

Moved to the proper forum.
I am terribly sorry about that, I will be more careful next time. Guess I just overlooked it on mobile.

Thanks guys for your advice. I'll just go ahead and enjoy it. Can't wait for it to come in!
11-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just mentioning....3 of my major credit cards will pay the difference in price within 30 days if you can find a product cheaper elsewhere. Never have used it, but it may be another avenue of security in buying now.

Regards
11-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought a K-3 about a month ago, for $100 more than the current Adorama deal. Like 32 days ago, so outside the 30 day price
match window. No remorse. The camera got to the the price I wanted to pay and I bought it.

Very little that you ever buy is going to appreciate in value. Buy it at the price you're comfortable with, enjoy and don't look back.
Otherwise you'll forever be kicking yourself for the $3500 you once spent on a i386 computer or the $950 you spent on a 640 x 480
point and shoot.
11-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha I understand, I just got caught up in all the swirling prices while waiting on my camera to arrive. Not my best move and luckily I missed the days of the i386 and the low res point and shoots. Well, didn't miss them, but I'm still under 25, so not much of it was relevant to me at the time
11-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Closed Account

I think you just lick your chops waiting for it to come. The time you wait for a better price, could be better spent using the K-3. You have to look at it as "is the price good to me: -- because if it is, you go for it. There will always be a better price eventually. Just ask the people willing to spend their valuable time and gas money, to save a few bucks driving all over down shopping with coupons. I see this all of the time with gamers who build their own machines. They'll roast a guy for dropping $500 on a GTX 780 (nice video card), and then 6 months later, make sure they let that same guy know they just got the same card for $400. Whoop-de-do. While that guy was crying about how his games lagged, the other guy had been playing his games on high settings the day he plugged that card in -- and never looked back. That K-3 deal is great. I say start thinking about carving out some time to put it to use when it arrives. And never look back
11-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Tandy 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Released in November 1984,the $1,200 Tandy 1000..."

In today's dollars that is equivalent to over $2750....for 'that'....

What kind of computer could you get and what kind of computing power would it have comparatively today for that $2750?

Just saying...people pay a lot up front for new flashy blingy things... but those things quickly depreciate in price.
11-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
Closed Account

That's why you decide if the price works, and if it does, you go for it - and never look back. Electronics are one of the worst when it comes to initial cost vs holding their value. The definition of value to me, is "does it do what l want it to do?" if so, sweet for me.