Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Forum Member

Im looking to upgrade from my Kx right now too! I'm curious to see what you land on. For me I am personally between the k-50 and and ks-1 b/c i need something smaller bc i am a tiny person, and I am a more casual shooter... I have an 18-55, a 50-200, and 35mm. I had not considered the mirrorless k-01, that is an interesting choice.

11-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
Im looking to upgrade from my Kx right now too! I'm curious to see what you land on. For me I am personally between the k-50 and and ks-1 b/c i need something smaller bc i am a tiny person, and I am a more casual shooter... I have an 18-55, a 50-200, and 35mm. I had not considered the mirrorless k-01, that is an interesting choice.
And I am looking to upgrade from my K100D Super. Looking at K5IIS, K30, K50, and now K3 because of the price drops. I know, anything would be a big difference!
11-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
I can't consistently get the focus right. If this is easer on the newer cameras i would be open to getting some good manual lenses.

You may be in the boat to consider a K-S1, as well.

The focus peaking implementation is to me the best so far (including the Sonys I own) - flashing red.
11-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You may be in the boat to consider a K-S1, as well.

The focus peaking implementation is to me the best so far (including the Sonys I own) - flashing red.
Thanks! I hadnt really considered the K-S1 i will be looking for some reviews of this one.

11-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the K-01? It is a great little camera that does not get much respect due to it's unusual design but IQ is outstanding on it!
Granted the AF is not up to par with the K-5 but it does have focus peaking if you are into manual lenses and right now you can pick one up dirt cheap. IQ is definitely better than a classic K-5 IMO and I own both.

I have been waiting for a Pentax FF and when I saw the Sony A7 it did interest me, however unless you buy Sony glass you won't have AF capabilities. It was a trade off that I wasn't willing to make considering all my Pentax glass.
The price ($1700) is pretty expensive just for the body and it's pretty much a Sony product which does not have the build quality of a Pentax.
I decided to pick up a K-3 for now at an unbelievable black friday deal and will continue to wait for a Pentax FF when hopefully I will be able to use my FF lenses.
11-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Have you looked at the K-01? It is a great little camera that does not get much respect due to it's unusual design but IQ is outstanding on it!
Granted the AF is not up to par with the K-5 but it does have focus peaking if you are into manual lenses and right now you can pick one up dirt cheap. IQ is definitely better than a classic K-5 IMO and I own both.

I have been waiting for a Pentax FF and when I saw the Sony A7 it did interest me, however unless you buy Sony glass you won't have AF capabilities. It was a trade off that I wasn't willing to make considering all my Pentax glass.
The price ($1700) is pretty expensive just for the body and it's pretty much a Sony product which does not have the build quality of a Pentax.
I decided to pick up a K-3 for now at an unbelievable black friday deal and will continue to wait for a Pentax FF when hopefully I will be able to use my FF lenses.
Pretty good move!! I did the same... picking up a "supposedly Nikon D400 like" camera for under 700 bucks is pretty decent while I am still saving for the Pentax FF to come; so, even if it does come out next year, I would still wait for a year or so.