Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I plan on buying a K3 very soon and would like a battery grip. Weather-sealing isn't really essential so I'd go with a third party one if it were available, but there don't seem to be any.

There are loads of third party grips for the K5 - why none at all for the K3? Or am I missing something?
Bought two aftermarket grips for my K5's. One developed a problem. The shutter is reluctant to fire. I would stay with a Pentax grip

11-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I had the same question as the OP as well when I started looking at upgrading to the K-3. I have a third party grip on my K5, and it was worth the discount, but one of the buttons did break off. The good news is, as others have posted, there is sort of a glut of K3 grips from the bundle deals in the marketplace right now for cheap prices, including one that I am currently trying to sell
12-26-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #18

Kingma D-BG5 AA / Lithium Battery Grip for PENTAX K-3 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 03:01 AM ----------

Hope this helps :-)
12-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riz244 Quote
Kingma D-BG5 AA / Lithium Battery Grip for PENTAX K-3 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 03:01 AM ----------

Hope this helps :-)
Nice find, was only a matter of time till they started being made.

12-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
Forum Member

I have not ever been a big fan of aftermarket battery grips. There is just to much at stake when shlepping a grip on a camera body. Is there a guaranty that your camera bodies electronics will not be damaged? Will the third party pay for repairs if their grip malfunctions? Lets think about this. Should one risk and try to save a hundred bucks on powering a thousand dollar camera body? Not me,,,,, NOOOOO WAYYYYY

I have a istDL I would like to have you smell. It smells of burnt cuircuits and is dead. That was 8 years ago.
Wow I saved 100 bucks on a battery grip for that one. Now they are both useless.
12-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went ahead and ordered the original Pentax grip a week after I ordered the K3. It cost me $200 as they don't give it away with the body over here. At least I have the re-assurance of it being genuine, WR, and with the full two-year guarantee.
12-27-2014, 02:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I went ahead and ordered the original Pentax grip a week after I ordered the K3. It cost me $200 as they don't give it away with the body over here. At least I have the re-assurance of it being genuine, WR, and with the full two-year guarantee.
I have always used third party grips (K20, K5) and the quality has varied, from very good to average - none has stopped working although I managed to loose the battery insert for one of them, complete with battery and memory card as it opened unexpectedly! However, I splashed out on the "rel deal" for my K3 and the quality of the OEM item is markedly superior to the other grips I have used, metal pins, tight construction, weather-proofing, just a better product all around- my K3 deserves it!

01-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Grip with the body was not an option for me.....

I have had the K3 for just over a year now and the grip was $230 at the time. Not an option after paying the premium of being an early adopter. I did the hack with a $30 aftermarket grip about 9 moths ago and no problems. It works, but with less than stellar quality build, I can easily tell the difference from the genuine grips I have had on my K-10 or K-7. Now seeing an aftermarket grip for $60~$70, that's not bad with no hacking needed. But I also noticed that B&H has the genuine BG-5 for $128. That's a no-brainer. I'm tempted to upgrade!
01-11-2015, 02:36 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Having now used the K3 with genuine grip a bit now, the build quality seems ok, apart from the battery inserts which are made from very cheap, flimsy plastic. The build quality of my K200D grip is better, which I was surprised at.