Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 vs Sony A7

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It would be wonderful if RIcoh/Pentax came out with something like this
Sony's new A7 II full-frame mirrorless camera comes to the US on December 9th | The Verge

Would this be an option for anyone craving a Pentax FF?
I love the size of this...and if I could use my Pentax primes then this would be wonderful...

11-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not a decision I would make before seeing what the Pentax FF looks like. However good it is, it's not going to be AF and is going use green mode type metering. But then, maybe if you use MF lenses exclusively it might be good for you. I guess the question for me would be, how am I going to feel when everyone else is using their FF lenses with AF, and I'm not? On the plus side, with a body cap this camera would fit into an empty spot in my camera bag. I could just add it to my APS-c gear and use FF for the FF lenses I own, when necessary... the odds of the Pentax FF being able to do that are pretty slim. I see it both ways...but really, I have to see how big and heavy the Pentax FF is before I make up my mind.

Last edited by normhead; 11-26-2014 at 05:41 PM.
11-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that Sony looks very interesting, pushes a lot of the right buttons.

Now if Pentax came out with something that used k-mount, either natively or with a seamless adapter. Well, that would be very tempting. I am still not sure I want to give up my OVF, but I have got to the point that I will agree to keep an open mind and at least test one.

I have no idea what that camera would look like with a k-mount grafted on the front, maybe too ugly to tolerate, but maybe not either.
11-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Sony's new A7 II full-frame mirrorless camera comes to the US on December 9th | The Verge

I love the size of this...and if I could use my Pentax primes then this would be wonderful...
I think you might as well buy the Sony. If Pentax/Ricoh were to release a similar camera, you wouldn't be able to use a K mount (size). As a result, they would have to release an adapter (just like Sony did to use their A lenses on a E mount). And you can already mount the K lenses on an A7 with an adapter.
Now if Ricoh release a GXR-II with a 24x36 K mount module...

11-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

I've been looking to upgrade from my k-x and have been looking at both the k-3 and a7. I see the mention of using the MF lenses but is there an adapter that would allow the use of pentax AF lenses?
11-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
I've been looking to upgrade from my k-x and have been looking at both the k-3 and a7. I see the mention of using the MF lenses but is there an adapter that would allow the use of pentax AF lenses?
I think, yes, you would but you lose AF functionality. If you think you must have a FF now, otherwise, your photos suck (you really have to ask yourself why), then yeah... go with the a7.

---------- Post added 11-26-2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

I would wait for Pentax FF before deciding; why get a FF now and lose AF functionality on Pentax AF lenses if Pentax offering is at similar price point later.... unless of course, money is not a concern for you.
11-26-2014, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think, yes, you would but you lose AF functionality. If you think you must have a FF now, otherwise, your photos suck (you really have to ask yourself why), then yeah... go with the a7.
I should have clarified but wanted to know if an adapter would allow for AF functionality. Do i need a FF? No. I coming from a k-x so obviously don't need a FF but I didn't realize considering a FF meant my photos suck. (which they might but nevertheless i will continue to take them)

11-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Apples vs. Oranges.

I have handled the previous model A7 and and bought the K-3 because when it is an apple you need, an orange simply does not cut it. The EVF and form factor were the deciding points. One great thing is that Sony finally added some seals.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-26-14 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
maybe too ugly to tolerate
The better adapters ($$$) look pretty good on-camera, but usage is a bit like a M42 on a Pentax dSLR.

Steve
11-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The better adapters ($$$) look pretty good on-camera, but usage is a bit like a M42 on a Pentax dSLR.
Yeah, I guess I meant if Pentax came out with a FF mirrorless that used k-mount or a new mount with an adapter that allowed complete native, seamless use of existing k-mount lenses both screwdrive or SDM. Not like the adapters Sony uses for M42 or k-mount.

I like the concept that Sony has here, but without the ability to use k-mount lenses as if they were on a k-mount camera I would not be interested.

A lot of things to like on this though:
  • FF
  • IBIS
  • tilting screen
  • good price point
  • hybrid AF system
  • 14 bit RAW
  • WiFi
  • 117 AF points, but I don't see in what pattern
  • ISO 50 is implied I think
  • flash sync @ 1/250
  • stereo mike
  • 599gm vs 800gm for k-3
  • area specific noise reduction? I assume jpeg only but who knows
On the other hand it's a Sony which means I would not buy it, but that's just me.
11-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If Ricoh comes out with a LX style FF body with Fuji X-T1 controls they would have a big hit on their hands. Will they? Probably not. I have seen a lot of people refer to the X-T1 as the digital Pentax LX they wanted.

You would think that people who have a lot of older manual focus glass would gravitate towards the A7 line since MF is so much quicker and easier on a mirrorless with focus peaking than it is with a APS-C OVF.
11-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
since MF is so much quicker and easier on a mirrorless with focus peaking than it is with a APS-C OVF.
This is true, though I would not draw the line at APS-C. FF cameras suffer from the same manual focus ills when used with the focus screens that ship with the cameras. The root fault lies with the half-silvered mirror (required for PDAF) which robs light from the viewfinder. As compensation, the focus screens are optimized for brightness over accurate DOF. Center split-image focus aides were dumped to accommodate spot metering.* As a result, precise manual focus is really not possible with other than a replacement focus screen or live view. With a decent replacement screen, the manual focus experience with Pentax dSLRs is close to that of the best viewfinders of classic film SLRs.

Steve

* Both of these changes date back to the first AF 35mm film cameras, as if AF would remove the need for accurate focus.
11-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is true, though I would not draw the line at APS-C. FF cameras suffer from the same manual focus ills when used with the focus screens that ship with the cameras. The root fault lies with the half-silvered mirror (required for PDAF) which robs light from the viewfinder. As compensation, the focus screens are optimized for brightness over accurate DOF. Center split-image focus aides were dumped to accommodate spot metering.* As a result, precise manual focus is really not possible with other than a replacement focus screen or live view. With a decent replacement screen, the manual focus experience with Pentax dSLRs is close to that of the best viewfinders of classic film SLRs.

Steve

* Both of these changes date back to the first AF 35mm film cameras, as if AF would remove the need for accurate focus.
Yes. I'm just using APS-C OVF because that is what the vast majority of people reading this forum are using. The ability to magnify and use focus peaking with an A7 or Fuji X-T1 really makes MF quick. I'm considering the A7II and the Zeiss Loxia for this very reason. I can use my 31mm with an adapter.
11-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
I should have clarified but wanted to know if an adapter would allow for AF functionality. Do i need a FF? No. I coming from a k-x so obviously don't need a FF but I didn't realize considering a FF meant my photos suck. (which they might but nevertheless i will continue to take them)
Sorry, I don't mean that your photo sucks (but somebody may use it as excuse that they need it now ); the majority of us are fine with APS-C but could use a FF for additional edge that comes with it.

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-26-2014 at 09:35 PM.
11-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The ability to magnify and use focus peaking with an A7 or Fuji X-T1 really makes MF quick.

What, like the humble K-50, Winder?
11-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
everyone's been talking about Pentax FF for some time now and with Sony releasing the A7, Pentax might be under a little more pressure to finally get their FF released.
...all that being said, I was waiting to upgrade and for the time being now I'll be a new K-3 owner, I had to pull the trigger on that new K-3 deal for $619. At that price it was a no brainer for me...
Pentax K 3 23 4 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only | eBay