Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K200D long photo write delay bug?

I'm wondering if any other K200D owners can chime in and tell me if this is a bug.

Basically, get your K200D. Set it to manual mode. Now, set the exposure to something like 10 seconds shutter. Take a shot, doesn't have to be pretty.

Now, wait and see how long it takes before the "writing" light comes on in the back of the camera....

If your camera behaves like mine, it takes just as long of a pause to write the photo as it does to open/close the shutter!

This is annoying.

For instance, you take a 30-second shutter speed photo.

You wait 30 seconds for the shot to expose. No problem.
You wait 30 more seconds, where you can't do a darn thing with the camera.
Only THEN does the camera write the file to the memory card.

This has to be a bug, no? Or am I missing something?

05-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats normal, for the K100, K10, K20, and it's looking like the K200 as well.
I don't know about the other digital cameras.

What it is is the noise reduction doing it's thing.

My other system (Sigma) does the same thing as well, and I imagine that the other companies have something like it as well.

The only time it'll really effect most peoples shooting is with something like a lightning storm or fireworks they want to photograph.
05-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #3

After shooting the Victoria Day fireworks, I can confirm that my friends' Canon 40D also shoots a "black" frame after the exposure to aid the noise reduction process.

Sometime before Canada Day I'm going to do some testing to see if I can turn in-camera NR off and remove it in PP. I know I missed some shots waiting for my K10D to get ready for the next shot.
05-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

You can go into the Custom menu to turn off the in-camera Noise Reduction. Maybe that will work. I'm not sure if this will solve the issue as I havent' tried it myself.

05-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

To avoid this problem, do what I do - turn your noise reduction OFF from the custom menu.

Shoot RAW. Most processing software maps out the hot pixels automatically.

In-camera mapping is strictly for JPEG shots.
05-21-2008, 03:40 AM   #6

Turn Off Long Exposure Noise Reduction in the Custom menu.
05-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah, I see, thanks for the replies!

It seemed to me like a bug, since for whatever reason the camera's pause almost matched exactly to the shutter time....but I guess since more time = more noise, the camera takes longer to remove.

I'm definitely disabling this! thank you.
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote

It seemed to me like a bug, since for whatever reason the camera's pause almost matched exactly to the shutter time....but I guess since more time = more noise, the camera takes longer to remove.

I'm definitely disabling this! thank you.
Did it help you?
Woud really appreciate your findings as i m concerned that it will seriously affect the whatever limited continuous burst shooting speed pentax dslr's have...
waiting for an update from you!

05-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Did it help you?
Woud really appreciate your findings as i m concerned that it will seriously affect the whatever limited continuous burst shooting speed pentax dslr's have...
waiting for an update from you!
The black frame delay is part of the NR system for long exposure times (longer than 1 or 2 seconds). Turning NR off won't affect burst performance in sports/action shooting.
05-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote

It should take exactly the same time.

For a 3sec exposure for example, the camera takes another 3sec dark frame and checks it for noise and hot pixels. The noise is then mapped and subtracted from the original exposure. Noise levels will vary dependant on your exposure length so the dark frame exposure will always be adjusted to match the exposure.

bazz.