Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New K20d Review

For all those interested:

Steves Digicams - PENTAX K20D - Hands on Review

05-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link, Jeweltrail! A factually-oriented review with a good selection of sample photos, so kudos to Steve's site as well!
05-21-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why does he keep calling the DA lenses "DAH"?

And all I've seen there is an enumeration of features and specs. Not really a hands-on review.
05-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is a hands on reviw, I guess. The last two pages give his "real world" thoughts on the camera and sample photos to back it up.

If you read through the first few pages, the review actually does a great job at exposing not only the K20D, but some of the other lenses and accessories in the Pentax line...every little bit of exposure helps, especially when 75% of buyers/shoppers only go for what they see in the store or what their brother in law uses.

Jas

05-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The review was a welcome site for Pentax. The reviewer did a great justice to the camera. Wish all reviewers did the same.
05-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I like Steve's site and it was one of the first digicam sites I began visiting regularly... but sometimes I think that he's never met a camera that he didn't like. The reviews generally seem pretty soft, with little bad to say.

Or maybe I'm just still a little bitter because his good review was one of the factors I used when buying my Minolta Z5, which was mostly a great camera cursed with serious image noise levels - that's when I knew I had to move to a DSLR; less than I year later, I had my *ist DL.

Still, it's nice to have a review site that doesn't turn every review into a nitpicking parade of lab tests.
05-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I like Steve's site and it was one of the first digicam sites I began visiting regularly... but sometimes I think that he's never met a camera that he didn't like.
That could be a testament to how well digital SLR's are made these days. I've shot with SLR's from Pentax, Nikon, Sony, and Canon and I have to say they all did their job extremely well and left me with very few gripes (the D40's autofocus being my only real issue). These reviewers really have to nitpick these days. Digital camera's have come a long ways since I bought my Canon G2 seven years ago.

That said, I guess point and shoots are an exception. There are plenty of turds still being produced, but even with the Sigma DP1 included no one has made a great compact yet.

Man his sample pic's are making me want a K20D though. As I said in another thread, I'm pondering switching to Canon, but test pics like his and others I've seen are starting to sniff out that notion real quick.
05-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a big shot in the arm for Pentax in general and the K20 in particular--most welcome. I have extracted two quotations from his "conclusion" which I believe have redemptive value for us.

Quote 1 (Are you reading DPR): "Sharpness at the K20D's normal setting was excellent - exactly what you would expect from a modern dSLR."

Quote 2 (are you rading Pop Photo): "Image quality is excellent on the K20D and noise was well controlled throughout the K20D's 100-3,200 ISO range (expanded range ISO also available to ISO 6,400). Our standard settings on the K20D produced perfectly acceptable results that rival any camera in this price range. ISO 100 to 400 are free of serious noise. ISO 800 starts to show some noticeable noise when viewed at 100 percent magnification on screen, but ISO 1600 and 3200 are still perfectly useable."

05-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Why does he keep calling the DA lenses "DAH"?

And all I've seen there is an enumeration of features and specs. Not really a hands-on review.
My guess as to the usage of DAH: the * in DA* is not searchable in Google whereas DAH will get a hit every time. Simply a way to ensure uniqueness for the search engines.
05-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

Quote 1 (Are you reading DPR): "Sharpness at the K20D's normal setting was excellent - exactly what you would expect from a modern dSLR."

Quote 2 (are you rading Pop Photo): "Image quality is excellent on the K20D and noise was well controlled throughout the K20D's 100-3,200 ISO range (expanded range ISO also available to ISO 6,400). Our standard settings on the K20D produced perfectly acceptable results that rival any camera in this price range. ISO 100 to 400 are free of serious noise. ISO 800 starts to show some noticeable noise when viewed at 100 percent magnification on screen, but ISO 1600 and 3200 are still perfectly useable."
But Jewel, remember this?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail:
No human being is perfect; we are all equally flawed--this surely is what makes us interesting and lovable. If we were perfect, there would be no need to be here--correct? Now if we are not perfect, how much further will the things we build be from perfection? This high ISO thing is much ado about nothing! The more we discuss it, the more it truly makes the K20 look like it is hurting.

I can't help but be reminded of the energy-packed rivalry between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. I am, for better or worse, a Red Sox fan. It is only recently that I have even known an iota of the "better" side of the coin. For decades I listened to how the Red Sox were just as good as the Yankees, but the facts remained the Yankees nearly always out-performed them
05-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Poke But Jewel, remember this?

I remember it well, but am even more glad you do too. In fact, that is why I posted this.

Ernest
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't even want to read it because it'll make me want K20
05-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I like Steve's site and it was one of the first digicam sites I began visiting regularly... but sometimes I think that he's never met a camera that he didn't like. The reviews generally seem pretty soft, with little bad to say.

Or maybe I'm just still a little bitter because his good review was one of the factors I used when buying my Minolta Z5, which was mostly a great camera cursed with serious image noise levels - that's when I knew I had to move to a DSLR; less than I year later, I had my *ist DL.

Still, it's nice to have a review site that doesn't turn every review into a nitpicking parade of lab tests.
Are Pentax users masochists? When Pentax cameras receive positive reviews we complain and question the credibility of the critique and when Pentax gets a negative review the same applies. Simply incredible...I am gob struck!

Ben
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Now, now, Ben...I, for one, praised the review without complaint or question about Steve's credibility.

FTP, did you read the review in detail or just scan through it? Sure, Steve provided a pretty systematic account of the camera's features, but there were comments about the use of the camera as well, especially in the conclusion section. The numerous photos speak volumes about Steve's use of the camera in testing as well. You know..."a picture is worth a thousand words," IIRC.