Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Although, reading back on your post, it seems that the scenes with the horses (nice color) were not shot with the K3...
that is correct. But the shot would have been as nice with the K3.. a nice shot is a nice shot..

K3 indeed does not run hot.
And indeed, it is a tripod/monopod/... camera, not run and gun
Difference to the K5 series are also the framerate options.
The files from the K5 are more detailed. K3 compresses the files.
It's all a bit of a trade off :-)

11-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you again grispie!

I plan to do as much shooting as I can on a tripod, monopod, & a tripod dolly. In fact, I never use my K-x without a monopod for my sports shots.

I guess I'm going to sleep on it. Only one more question I guess since I just thought of my sports shooting... would filming a sporting event work on the K3?

I'll say it again, I am very appreciative of being able to ask a question here and get so many answers. Thank you all.
11-28-2014, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Well, then a K-3 will suit your shooting style well. I on the other hand love handheld, so for me the K-5 is better.

If you want to see some videos from a K-5, you can go here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxSL_nWvKVIhoDCzEavanMA It's not great, but I haven't done any videos with narrative yet. Most of the videos are graded... well, just see the description.

was shot handheld (no grading),
too. The original video has _no_ noticeable artefacts. There's no way a K-3 could pull that off. Unfortunately YouTube ruined it.
11-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thank you again grispie!

I plan to do as much shooting as I can on a tripod, monopod, & a tripod dolly. In fact, I never use my K-x without a monopod for my sports shots.

I guess I'm going to sleep on it. Only one more question I guess since I just thought of my sports shooting... would filming a sporting event work on the K3?

I'll say it again, I am very appreciative of being able to ask a question here and get so many answers. Thank you all.
If your film/documentary is going to get serious attention, Pentax cameras do not have the higher end video quality to satisfy the requirement. I may be in a similar situation myself. I am shooting still for a product line at the moment. The K3 shines in that department. 645z would have been better but K3 is just fine. I may be asked to shoot videos next. For that, I may look at a GH4 or even a Sony NEX7 or 6000!

11-29-2014, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

would filming a sporting event work on the K3?
that's a though one.
A camera like the AX100 or CX900 or RX10 would seem more suitable for it. Just because they have a one inch sensor and you'd want higher depth of field.
Such a camera would be more suitable than any dslr i think.
It will work ofcourse, but i am not sure you'll be satisfied with the IQ. Depends on your expectations.
some reviews with samples on which i based my purchase. you might have seen them already (or not):
Video Review: Pentax K-3 - at the orchid exhibition | cinema5D
11-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #21

Original Poster
Yeah, I love those videos... they really highlight the greatness of the Pentax... being able to 'weather' anything! Love having something that I don't have to worry about in that respect.

Since I'm only looking for a camera to do a trailer (for fundraising/presentations), this looks like it would fit the bill. Since it would satisfy my sports photo side as well.

For a full blown documentary I would get a Sony Z100 (about $6K) for that codec XAVC 4K 10bit 422 which is found on the $15K and much higher priced cameras. That will down-rez quite nicely.

Still looking at the AX100 even though its limited to an XAVC-S 4K & 1080p 8bit 420 codec (same chroma subsampling as the K3 except when down-rezzing from 4K which I've seen will create an 8 bit 444 1080p look that handles like 10bit in post) and then theres the X70 with 10bit 1080p with future upgrade to 10bit 4K. Wish I could win the lottery.

So another question. Obviously a 3D or 4D gimbal (out of my price range) would negate the flaw of SR in the K3... but wouldn't a shoulder mount be just as good?

Just a thought.
11-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, perhaps it would. But why would you buy a Pentax then? A D5300 would do the same, give you a wider image, better image quality and a tilting screen. And I think it has focus peaking?

Don't obsess too much with the codec, what good is the best codec with 10 bit (good luck editing that... no hardware decoding support for 10 bit h264 video exists!) when the dynamic range of the sensor is bad?

12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks kadajawi but I'm not going to go down that road, the cannon road that is. Just like the GH4 or NX1, price of the body is very nice but prices of the lenses not so much. I think I can get the same quality lenses for a Pentax at a quarter of the price of a cannon/nikon/olympus/panasonic/sony/samsung comparable lens.

For one GH4 or NX1 with one all purpose lens, I can get a K3 w/ 4-5 lenses that quality wise are just as good.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 12-01-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: More info
12-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks kadajawi but I'm not going to go down that road, the cannon road that is. Just like the GH4 or NX1, price of the body is very nice but prices of the lenses not so much. I think I can get the same quality lenses for a Pentax at a quarter of the price of a cannon/nikon/olympus/panasonic/sony/samsung comparable lens.

For one GH4 or NX1 with one all purpose lens, I can get a K3 w/ 4-5 lenses that quality wise are just as good.
Ah but don't forget that you can mount any lens you like onto the GH4 or NX1, as long as you don't need to have AF.

And no, I would not recommend Canon. Nikon is better.
12-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter

mind changed

hey you know now that i've had my K3 for a while... i have to say that i have not come across any alaising or tearing issues in recording, and it in fact gives very good results so far. i havent used it on any "real" projects, but messing around with it it has really proven itself competant so far.
12-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
hey you know now that i've had my K3 for a while... i have to say that i have not come across any alaising or tearing issues in recording, and it in fact gives very good results so far. i havent used it on any "real" projects, but messing around with it it has really proven itself competant so far.

hm, i'm happy to hear a positive sound for once. the k3 has its flaws, but at least it delivers clean files imo + that it's a very comfortable camera to shoot with.
I don't know if anyone can confirm, but since i uploaded the latest firmware, i have the impression even SR works better compared to firmware 1.01
12-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I have two heavily color corrected K3 videos on my vimeo account
You can download the HD version to check it if you want.

I guess it depends on your expectations & the compromises you are willing to take.
The one big issue I have with it, is the low bitrate, which makes it difficult in wide & lots of detail shots (which in turn you may have a lot in documentary shootings).
On the other hand, I do find the files quite clean and (relative) easy to work on in post.
Both films look great. I like the color grading. K3 may not be the best for video but you can't tell by looking at your films. They are just as good as any other camera I have seen. I am sure if you pixel peep, there are better video cameras out there. In the hands of a skilled user you can see the strengths and miss the weaknesses of the K3. Great job.

Last edited by btnapa; 12-12-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Typo
12-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #28

Original Poster
In another thread I'm griping about the quality of the stills but Film/Movie actually really looks good. No one would be able to tell the difference unless there was a head to head with another camera.

I haven't done any post to my clips yet but even just using regular natural profile the image is colorful and sharp.
12-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hm, i'm happy to hear a positive sound for once. the k3 has its flaws, but at least it delivers clean files imo + that it's a very comfortable camera to shoot with.
I don't know if anyone can confirm, but since i uploaded the latest firmware, i have the impression even SR works better compared to firmware 1.01
speaking of...
the one thing that is completely unusable for video is the SR...
once i disabled that i got very good results.
also, you can't shoot at 1/48th of a second at 24fps, but you can shoot at 1/50th and 25fps... not really a big deal but FYI.
12-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #30

Original Poster
That's interesting since I do use SR and what little shake or jello I get when walking around, I know can be fixed in post.

I do use a tripod or monopod most of the time but I have tested it by taking it off and walking around. I have a handheld stabilizer as well but haven't used that yet.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 12-13-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more info