Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
That's interesting since I do use SR and what little shake or jello I get when walking around, I know can be fixed in post.

I do use a tripod or monopod most of the time but I have tested it by taking it off and walking around. I have a handheld stabilizer as well but haven't used that yet.
That's interesting. You're I think the first person who thinks it's usable and that it can be fixed in post. How do you fix the jello in post? It's not the kind of jello you get from panning, it's a much faster jello, wobbling left and right. IMHO much more irritating. I've tried the K-30 and K-3 and thought both of them are unusable in terms of SR, the image looks much worse with SR than without. Though grispie mentioned that newer firmwares seem to have fixed this a bit... but I have my doubts, because it's a physical limitation. You can try to reduce the wobbling around a bit in the stabilization software, but Pentax didn't do that at least in early firmwares. And then there are still plenty of issues, like not being able to frame properly (what's on screen isn't the same as what is being recorded). And the random motion blur, which looks pretty bad too, IMHO. Only way to fix that is to shoot at very fast shutter speeds.

The only way to get properly stabilized video is by getting a stable image on the sensor. It has to be stable before it hits the sensor, so either stabilize the camera, the lens or the sensor. Do I need to mention that the K-7, K-5 and probably some of the more entry level early Pentax DSLRs with video functionality were able to do this very well?

12-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Though grispie mentioned that newer firmwares seem to have fixed this a bit...
well, i just did some more indoor testing a day or two ago with latest firmware (remember the cats & the plant :-)
My first impression was that it got better. My gut feeling is that it would perform better now at that hiking trip in the Elzas. But still need to verify that in the real world.

Ofcourse this is "usable" as per the expectations you have. You can manage it to a degree, but i don't think you can risk a wobbling image for (semi) professionally things.
I don't know of a way to fix the wobbling in post.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Do I need to mention that the K-7, K-5 and probably some of the more entry level early Pentax DSLRs with video functionality were able to do this very well?
no you don't need to mention it again :-) we are well aware. I still think the whole internal stabilizer discussion is overrated.
12-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
well, i just did some more indoor testing a day or two ago with latest firmware (remember the cats & the plant :-)
My first impression was that it got better. My gut feeling is that it would perform better now at that hiking trip in the Elzas. But still need to verify that in the real world.

Ofcourse this is "usable" as per the expectations you have. You can manage it to a degree, but i don't think you can risk a wobbling image for (semi) professionally things.
I don't know of a way to fix the wobbling in post.

no you don't need to mention it again :-) we are well aware. I still think the whole internal stabilizer discussion is overrated.
I think there is not much reason to buy a Pentax if you want to do video. But without... Why not get a Nikon? Sony? Samsung? Panasonic? Why would you get a Pentax, unless you already have lenses? But even then you can use adapters on some of those cameras. Whatever Pentax can do, those other cameras can do it just as good or better. With SR that's different, suddenly Pentax has a feature that can be very useful depending on what and how you want to shoot video, something that can make up for the deficiencies in other areas.