Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K mount on my K100D Super

I would like to know if anyone has used an old MF on a K100?

I have an old ME with lots of lenses, yes they will fit, but what will the camera make of them?

Will it like them or will it just not work?
I know the AF will not work! but can I use them?

05-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Banned

you can use them in M 'manual' mode.

first set the camera in the menu to 'allow aperture ring' (see manual for instructions)

set the desired aperture
press the AE-L button
(the camera will stop down the lens, take a light reading and then set the shutter speed for proper exposure)
press shutter

do a search on the forum and you will see many a post asking this very question and all the information you could need on the subject.
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...
So i got to playing.....
The results?
Well here you go....(im not very steady handed with a 200mm lens)

first attemp:

Second attemp:

Third:

Forth:

Fifth, I think I got it!

Just kept changing the shutter open time!
but too much hassle for me!
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Press the AE-L button and the camera will set the shutter speed for you.

05-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks will give it a go...
Im new here but you guys are great!
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Get out!

Outside I mean. You'll get better results out in the daylight to practice, then once you get the hang of using your old lenses, indoors will be much easier. Have fun!
05-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As a furthur neat trick, when you are shooting wide open, you can put the camera in aperture priority mode and it will automatically set the shutter speed for you.

05-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
Banned

those are strange, you are either using a very small aperture or you weren't doing it right. what lens were you using exactly? and at what aperture?
05-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the 135 f/2.5 Takumar that won't meter correctly on my K100D Super. It always meters 2 stops faster than it should. I have to manually adjust the exposure to get it correct.

Is this normal, or is there a setting that I'm missing in the camera?
05-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I've got the 135 f/2.5 Takumar that won't meter correctly on my K100D Super. It always meters 2 stops faster than it should. I have to manually adjust the exposure to get it correct.

Is this normal, or is there a setting that I'm missing in the camera?
Dave,
Is it a K-mount or a screw mount? If it is a M42 screw mount, you can shoot in AV mode with exposure compensation,because it is manual diaphram. You don't even have to press AE-L to stop down since the lens is already at its working appeture. I like this for my M42 and my converted lenses, which are all manual diaphram of course. Don't forget to reset the exposure compensation when using a different lens.

Dave
05-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Banned

is this the lens you have?
Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F2.5 Bayonet

if so then you can disregard Dave's post about m42 (most of us here associate Takumar with m42.)

QuoteQuote:
It always meters 2 stops faster than it should.
older takumars (m42) usually have to have the exposure bumped up anywhere between 1.3-2.0+ so adjusting the exposure is no surprise with lots of lenses but I don't normally see too many people having to do so with a K mount MF lens. I don't have to adjust exposure on any of my M or A series (in non 'A' mode) lenses.

this is what I do when using a manual.

set the camera to M
I leave the aperture wide open so I can compose the shot.
I set the aperture to what I want to use
I point the camera at what in the scene I want to use to meter the light (I use spot metering by default anyway)
I press 'AE-L' and the camera will stop down the lens, take the reading and set the shutter speed (if the selected shutter speed is too slow the camera should give you a warning by blinking the shutter speed in the viewfinder)
I press the shutter

as far as I know you cant use the Av button next to the on/off switch to adjust exposure on the fly in M mode like you can in Av so you cant compensate like you can when using a takumar (m42) with adapter. if you are able to compensate are you trying to use Av or M? Av will only give you a correct exposure with the widest aperture. to be honest the lens should not be underexposing if its a K mount so im a bit stumped on that.

Last edited by séamuis; 05-23-2008 at 09:18 AM.
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #12

Using M lens on a K100D Super

Follow the link at the bottom for an illustrated guide. I printed it off (cos I'm old and forgetful). Like you I'm a newbie to Pentax and DSLR but found the info exactly what I was looking for. Hope it helps.
Using manual lens
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
is this the lens you have?
Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F2.5 Bayonet

if so then you can disregard Dave's post about m42 (most of us here associate Takumar with m42.)

older takumars (m42) usually have to have the exposure bumped up anywhere between 1.3-2.0+ so adjusting the exposure is no surprise with lots of lenses but I don't normally see too many people having to do so with a K mount MF lens. I don't have to adjust exposure on any of my M or A series (in non 'A' mode) lenses.

this is what I do when using a manual.

set the camera to M
I leave the aperture wide open so I can compose the shot.
I set the aperture to what I want to use
I point the camera at what in the scene I want to use to meter the light (I use spot metering by default anyway)
I press 'AE-L' and the camera will stop down the lens, take the reading and set the shutter speed (if the selected shutter speed is too slow the camera should give you a warning by blinking the shutter speed in the viewfinder)
I press the shutter

as far as I know you cant use the Av button next to the on/off switch to adjust exposure on the fly in M mode like you can in Av so you cant compensate like you can when using a takumar (m42) with adapter. if you are able to compensate are you trying to use Av or M? Av will only give you a correct exposure with the widest aperture. to be honest the lens should not be underexposing if its a K mount so im a bit stumped on that.
you dont have to leave the aperture wide open to compose..

atleast i dont.. if i have an M lens on my camera i can spin the aperture ring all i want it will remain at wide open.
05-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
seamuis....

the lens used was:

Mirage
f=100-200mm
1:5.6

That all I could get off the lense.
I was using auto apeture and just playing with the shutter speed.
but the stupid newbee I am didnt know about the AE-L button!

I got the equipment but just dunno how to use it!
The worst kind of photographer?
too many toys and not enought know-how?
05-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
Banned

you'll learn with practice.