Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

First DSLR

I just joined up, after buying a second hand Pentax Kr....another gerriatttterick, starting over!!!
Have to say there seems to be a shortage of used Pentax dslrs, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places?
It took me several months but eventually found one on the WEX site, that seemed in decent order, a Kr with original box, charger, software, battery, and original manual. It was rated 9- and for the sum of 89 and came with a 12 months warranty and no quibbles return policy.
I know nothing about dslr's so I hope I made the right choice and there are no inherent manufacturing problems with this model.
I have a pentax me super and three lenses so my first thought was Pentax so I could used them in manual mode.
I also picked up the bog standard lens kit, 44, which I read isn't brilliant but I needed an autofocus lens to get me going.
I downloaded a sky photo to the, 'check the shutter actuations' and was pleased to see it only has 2156 actuations, so the camera will be staying. it looks virtually unused with hardly any wear.
The fun stopped there when my wife took the camera from me and sent it to father Christmas!
I was surprised that there are hundreds of used cannon and Nikon cameras but not many Pentax, and the Wex site shunts them away under the heading other cameras.
Anyway I am sure I will have loads of questions to ask, but I think I have come to the right place to ask them?

11-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. You are in the right place. The reason there aren't many used Pentaxes out there is that we hang on to them and keep on using them. We Pentaxians don't tend to always grab the latest and greatest.
11-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!!

You are for sure at the right place to ask. This is the friendlies, most helpful and informative tech forum I have ever been on. There will be plenty of people willing to offer suggestions to help you get started. Be sure to look at the beginners section and the forum dedicated to your camera. Do not be afraid to ask but be patient if the solution does not come at once. Someone will figure out what you need to do. Take some pictures and have fun!
11-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. It seems the public is brainwashed when it come to cameras. Not enough people know how good Pentax is.

11-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums. Lots of
QuoteOriginally posted by blink Quote
gerriattttericks
here, all hoarding their Pentaxes. Post some pics soon.
11-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!!! It sounds like the camera is in impound until Christmas. Probably, with an old Kodak tag - "Open Me First", on it. Here is the Kr users manual, that you can put on your PC's desktop.There are a whole host of youtube videos that can help you become familiar with it before you get it out of impound.
12-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by blink Quote
I just joined up, after buying a second hand Pentax Kr....another gerriatttterick, starting over!!!
Have to say there seems to be a shortage of used Pentax dslrs, or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places?
It took me several months but eventually found one on the WEX site, that seemed in decent order, a Kr with original box, charger, software, battery, and original manual. It was rated 9- and for the sum of 89 and came with a 12 months warranty and no quibbles return policy.
I know nothing about dslr's so I hope I made the right choice and there are no inherent manufacturing problems with this model.
I have a pentax me super and three lenses so my first thought was Pentax so I could used them in manual mode.
I also picked up the bog standard lens kit, 44, which I read isn't brilliant but I needed an autofocus lens to get me going.
I downloaded a sky photo to the, 'check the shutter actuations' and was pleased to see it only has 2156 actuations, so the camera will be staying. it looks virtually unused with hardly any wear.
The fun stopped there when my wife took the camera from me and sent it to father Christmas!
I was surprised that there are hundreds of used cannon and Nikon cameras but not many Pentax, and the Wex site shunts them away under the heading other cameras.
Anyway I am sure I will have loads of questions to ask, but I think I have come to the right place to ask them?
The Kr is a really great little camera, I had one and really can't fault it. Its easy to use but has loads of great features. It's a great choice for getting back into SLR's and your old lenses will work fine.

If your after cheap lenses, CEX (Computer Exchange) or LCE (London Camera Exchange) are good for cheap Pentax stuff.

Enjoy