Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Flash for K-50

Hi All,

I got the Pentax AF-200FG Flash with my K-50.

How ever i got a Olympus TTL Flash from my E-510 (FL-36R)and wondering whether that Flash is compatible with K-50.

Is there a Standard across these Flashes or are these made to work only with the same brand.

Thanks

12-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mars76 Quote
Hi All,

I got the Pentax AF-200FG Flash with my K-50.

How ever i got a Olympus TTL Flash from my E-510 (FL-36R)and wondering whether that Flash is compatible with K-50.

Is there a Standard across these Flashes or are these made to work only with the same brand.

Thanks
Don't think that there is a standard across all brands; beware of voltage and hot shoe PIN differences.
12-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some research on the internet shows that voltage should be low (under 5V), don't know about pin configuration.
I'd measure it myself though, just to be extra sure...
Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers
12-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a relatively new flash (2007 it looks like), so the trigger voltage is probably fine, but it never hurts to check if you're using it on camera or with voltage sensitive triggers.

You won't get any auto-functions with this flash on your Pentax. It also doesn't appear to have an auto-thyristor mode either. It has manual power settings so it should work fine on camera if you're willing to set the power yourself or it should be great off-camera with radio triggers.

It does appear to have a dumb optical slave mode, so you can also use it off camera without radio triggers. This slave mode doesn't appear capable of ignoring pre-flash, so whatever you use to trigger it has to be something that has no pre-flash, such as any flash that lets you manually set the power (I think your AF-200FG is limited to full power in manual mode and the built in flash of the k-50 has no manual mode).

12-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't think that there is a standard across all brands; beware of voltage and hot shoe PIN differences.
There are 2 standards (so far as I know) -- Minolta/Sony (up til 2012) and everyone else.

You physically can't put an old minolta flash on your pentax camera.

Everything else is *physically* compatible. But if you don't want to risk frying your camera, you should stick with flashes that use less than the maximum voltage digital cameras allow, and use other ones off-camera with wireless adapters.
12-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
There are 2 standards (so far as I know) -- Minolta/Sony (up til 2012) and everyone else.

You physically can't put an old minolta flash on your pentax camera.

Everything else is *physically* compatible. But if you don't want to risk frying your camera, you should stick with flashes that use less than the maximum voltage digital cameras allow, and use other ones off-camera with wireless adapters.
In addition to being aware of trigger voltage, I would suggest avoiding proprietary flash intended for other brands. What might not fry still may have the ability to confuse.

Steve
12-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In addition to being aware of trigger voltage, I would suggest avoiding proprietary flash intended for other brands. What might not fry still may have the ability to confuse.
Covering all the pins but the centre at the bottom of the flash with electrical tape should take care of the potential to confuse, the middle and side are all that's needed for the fire signal.

For what it's worth, I've used nikon flashes, sb-26/28, on my Pentax dslrs (all the pins line up) with no tape or confusion (manual or auto-thyristor only, no ttl or fancier things).
12-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For what it's worth, I've used nikon flashes, sb-26/28, on my Pentax dslrs (all the pins line up) with no tape or confusion (manual or auto-thyristor only, no ttl or fancier things).
It my understanding as well that current generation Nikon are harmless. Vintage flashes, OTOH are all over the board.

Steve

12-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It my understanding as well that current generation Nikon are harmless. Vintage flashes, OTOH are all over the board.
I was mostly speaking to the potential confusion problem, but yes, the voltages can be whacko, especially on older stuff. Some user submitted measurements here- Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages, but it's always a good idea to test.

Have you ever heard of a confusion problem caused by flash/camera cross-brand miscommunication? I know it's sometimes an issue with semi-intelligent flash triggers, but I'm not sure about the flashes directly.
12-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Have you ever heard of a confusion problem caused by flash/camera cross-brand miscommunication? I know it's sometimes an issue with semi-intelligent flash triggers, but I'm not sure about the flashes directly.
I am only aware of the trigger issues.

Steve