Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 30
Flash for K-50

Hi All,

I got the Pentax AF-200FG Flash with my K-50.

How ever i got a Olympus TTL Flash from my E-510 (FL-36R)and wondering whether that Flash is compatible with K-50.

Is there a Standard across these Flashes or are these made to work only with the same brand.

Thanks

12-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
QuoteOriginally posted by mars76 Quote
Hi All,

I got the Pentax AF-200FG Flash with my K-50.

How ever i got a Olympus TTL Flash from my E-510 (FL-36R)and wondering whether that Flash is compatible with K-50.

Is there a Standard across these Flashes or are these made to work only with the same brand.

Thanks
Don't think that there is a standard across all brands; beware of voltage and hot shoe PIN differences.
12-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
Some research on the internet shows that voltage should be low (under 5V), don't know about pin configuration.
I'd measure it myself though, just to be extra sure...
Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers
12-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
It's a relatively new flash (2007 it looks like), so the trigger voltage is probably fine, but it never hurts to check if you're using it on camera or with voltage sensitive triggers.

You won't get any auto-functions with this flash on your Pentax. It also doesn't appear to have an auto-thyristor mode either. It has manual power settings so it should work fine on camera if you're willing to set the power yourself or it should be great off-camera with radio triggers.

It does appear to have a dumb optical slave mode, so you can also use it off camera without radio triggers. This slave mode doesn't appear capable of ignoring pre-flash, so whatever you use to trigger it has to be something that has no pre-flash, such as any flash that lets you manually set the power (I think your AF-200FG is limited to full power in manual mode and the built in flash of the k-50 has no manual mode).

12-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,937
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't think that there is a standard across all brands; beware of voltage and hot shoe PIN differences.
There are 2 standards (so far as I know) -- Minolta/Sony (up til 2012) and everyone else.

You physically can't put an old minolta flash on your pentax camera.

Everything else is *physically* compatible. But if you don't want to risk frying your camera, you should stick with flashes that use less than the maximum voltage digital cameras allow, and use other ones off-camera with wireless adapters.
12-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
There are 2 standards (so far as I know) -- Minolta/Sony (up til 2012) and everyone else.

You physically can't put an old minolta flash on your pentax camera.

Everything else is *physically* compatible. But if you don't want to risk frying your camera, you should stick with flashes that use less than the maximum voltage digital cameras allow, and use other ones off-camera with wireless adapters.
In addition to being aware of trigger voltage, I would suggest avoiding proprietary flash intended for other brands. What might not fry still may have the ability to confuse.


Steve
12-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In addition to being aware of trigger voltage, I would suggest avoiding proprietary flash intended for other brands. What might not fry still may have the ability to confuse.
Covering all the pins but the centre at the bottom of the flash with electrical tape should take care of the potential to confuse, the middle and side are all that's needed for the fire signal.

For what it's worth, I've used nikon flashes, sb-26/28, on my Pentax dslrs (all the pins line up) with no tape or confusion (manual or auto-thyristor only, no ttl or fancier things).
12-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For what it's worth, I've used nikon flashes, sb-26/28, on my Pentax dslrs (all the pins line up) with no tape or confusion (manual or auto-thyristor only, no ttl or fancier things).
It my understanding as well that current generation Nikon are harmless. Vintage flashes, OTOH are all over the board.


Steve

12-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It my understanding as well that current generation Nikon are harmless. Vintage flashes, OTOH are all over the board.
I was mostly speaking to the potential confusion problem, but yes, the voltages can be whacko, especially on older stuff. Some user submitted measurements here- Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages, but it's always a good idea to test.

Have you ever heard of a confusion problem caused by flash/camera cross-brand miscommunication? I know it's sometimes an issue with semi-intelligent flash triggers, but I'm not sure about the flashes directly.
12-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Have you ever heard of a confusion problem caused by flash/camera cross-brand miscommunication? I know it's sometimes an issue with semi-intelligent flash triggers, but I'm not sure about the flashes directly.
I am only aware of the trigger issues.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, k-50, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$396 shipped for Pentax K-50 + Flash + Bag + Card Adam Pentax Price Watch 6 08-21-2014 01:50 PM
Pentax K-50: Free AF200FG Flash, $50 Gift Card, 2-day shipping ($496) Adam Pentax Price Watch 6 06-18-2014 02:19 PM
Basic flash for K-50 TedW Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 03-01-2014 11:45 AM
Flash for my K-50 Bonavista Pentax K-30 & K-50 23 02-27-2014 05:08 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-5 + YN560 Flash (DA 18-55 WR for only $50 more) northofpolaris Sold Items 12 08-28-2013 08:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top