Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Favorite User Settings the K-3

What are your Custom User settings on the K-3?

So far I've renamed User1 to Black & White and tweaked the settings so it's easy to switch out of normal color mode.
I'm looking to customize the other 2 User Settings....
I was thinking maybe Action or Low Light for the other two......

12-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have U1 setting reserved for aviation photography - TAv mode with default aperture set to 8.0 (best sharpness on my Sigma 100-300mm) and shutter speed at 1/500, high speed sequential shooting, continuous AF, 9 active autofocus points.

That way I can have the aperture fixed and change shutter speed accordingly (if I want action shots or panning), and shift the autofocus area quickly to left or right (area seemed a bit better option to avoid hunting for clouds/background).
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
So far I have only programmed one of the user modes on my K3. I have it set for using with my old K and M series lenses. I have my camera set to use the back button focus, which I found out doesn't work with catch in focus. So I set user 1 back to focus with the shutter button. That way catch in focus will work. I also reversed the edials for manual mode that way I can use the depth of field preview on the power switch and change my shutter speed with my thumb on the back dial.
12-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I kind of keep it simple:

U1 = Program mode, SEL1 (usually center focus point), AF-S, Spot metering, Shutter set to normal, SR is on, Auto WB. This one is for general use, my "auto" mode if you like
U2 = Shutter Priority, SEL2 (center 9) auto focus, AF-C, Multi-Segment metering, Shutter set to burst (med), SR is on, Auto WB. This is for a quick setup when I need to photograph moving stuff in a hurry
U3 = Aperture Priority, SEL1, AF-S, Multi-Segment metering, Shutter set to remote, ISO set to 100, SR is off, Auto WB. This is for when I plan on doing landscapes or longer exposure stuff, always using a tripod

As much as I hate the new way of selecting AF mode and metering mode, it is very handy to be able to program them to user mode.

12-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
What are your Custom User settings on the K-3?

So far I've renamed User1 to Black & White and tweaked the settings so it's easy to switch out of normal color mode.
I'm looking to customize the other 2 User Settings....
I was thinking maybe Action or Low Light for the other two......
Look at this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/251413-post-your-k3-af-settings-here.html

Simple way to find out is to first do a little searching ...

JP