Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Undecided

Since the K5IIs apparently is discontinued, which would you choose, a used K-5 or a new K50? I've been reading a lot on the "freezing" of the K-5, and this has caused concern. Would the K50 be a good choice, or perhaps look for a K5IIs, if I can find one in a couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance, fellow Pentaxians!

12-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved from the K-5 to the K-5iis and it was a great step up IMHO. With the prices for the 5iis being around $500 its a great bargain IMHO. I like the ergonomics of the 5iis over the 30/50 design and the top screen is a real plus for me as is the grip.
12-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It might be difficult to find a K5IIs in a couple of weeks. B&H shows it discontinued. Adorama still has them, but with the holidays coming up; they could sell out their stock as well; that's why I posted here, as to what my choice should be, between the K-5 used, or new K50.
12-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
They come up used in the Marketplace all of the time. The advantages that Docrwm mentions are compelling, though I don't think you would be at all unhappy with a K-50, unless the top LCD and grip are needs for you. My K-50 is serving me quite well, and keep in mind that it also has focus peaking (the K-5/ii/iis don't have that feature), which makes MF really easy and reliable. Another advantage of the K-5ii/iis is the battery life, though I just keep a couple extra batteries in my bag.

12-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
They come up used in the Marketplace all of the time. The advantages that Docrwm mentions are compelling, though I don't think you would be at all unhappy with a K-50, unless the top LCD and grip are needs for you. My K-50 is serving me quite well, and keep in mind that it also has focus peaking (the K-5/ii/iis don't have that feature), which makes MF really easy and reliable. Another advantage of the K-5ii/iis is the battery life, though I just keep a couple extra batteries in my bag.
No negative for the 50, I just found that once I got used to a grip being without one is a no-go for me.
12-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It might be difficult to find a K5IIs in a couple of weeks. B&H shows it discontinued. Adorama still has them, but with the holidays coming up; they could sell out their stock as well; that's why I posted here, as to what my choice should be, between the K-5 used, or new K50.
The K-50 is incredibly affordable right now and would be a good choice assuming that you want or need the features it has that are not found on the K-5 IIs. What the K-5 IIs brings to the table is better AF, lack of AA filtering, top LCD, greater bit-depth for image capture, certain video features, more configurable, and superior build. That last item comes at the price of more weight. Either way, you would have little to lose by purchasing now, assuming you have the cash/credit in hand.

Steve
12-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not a K-5ii or iis used? As Docrwm said, the ergonomics and features are a real plus over the K30/50.

12-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I would prefer to buy a K5IIs new, as I could then also get the extended warranty; but that might not be possible in a couple of weeks. I do like the top LCD, the grip is not important, as I wouldn't use it anyway.
12-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone! I would prefer to buy a K5IIs new, as I could then also get the extended warranty; but that might not be possible in a couple of weeks. I do like the top LCD, the grip is not important, as I wouldn't use it anyway.
I would say you always can spot used K5iis eventually on marketplace, but keep an eye at amazon and other sellers for new one. You never know, price may drop for a while from some sellers.
12-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

The K-5iis is an excellent camera and great deal on it right now. If I didn't want some of the features of the K-3 I would purchase the K-5iis over the K-50. The K-5iis is $496 at Adorama and comes with a free battery grip.
12-03-2014, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
The K-5iis is an excellent camera and great deal on it right now. If I didn't want some of the features of the K-3 I would purchase the K-5iis over the K-50. The K-5iis is $496 at Adorama and comes with a free battery grip.
Which if you don't want can be resold through the Marketplace and further lower the cost of K-5iis ownership
12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No negative for the 50, I just found that once I got used to a grip being without one is a no-go for me.
Agreed. To a point, I found a thread here that had people using the grip from an old D60 on their K-30. I picked one up cheap, and use it regularly on my K-50, even though you don't get the benefit of using the buttons + extra battery. Just feels better in my hand.
12-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The K-3 is now entering the price bracket that the K-5 IIs occupied just a few months ago. Just a thought, if you want to buy new...
12-03-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Agreed. To a point, I found a thread here that had people using the grip from an old D60 on their K-30. I picked one up cheap, and use it regularly on my K-50, even though you don't get the benefit of using the buttons + extra battery. Just feels better in my hand.
Interesting. The size and fell are certainly a part of why I use the grip. The 2nd battery and buttons are a huge part of it for me too. All day at WDW with 4 full 16gb SD cards and no battery change with the grip says a lot to me.
12-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but that might not be possible in a couple of weeks
Do it today?

Steve