Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Question about K-5IIs

B&H had great deal on K-5IIs on Black Friday, so I could not resist to buy one. I received the camera today, but could not use it yet since I don't have any lenses yet. I ordered yesterday two Pentax lenses.
I noticed something weird with my K-5IIs. If I shake the camera, there is something loose inside. It feels as if the sensor is shaking. I would appreciate if someone who has K-5IIs can tell me if their camera does the same. If this is normal, is it coming from the shake reduction mechanism?

Cheers,
Dan

12-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For one, shake reduction is electronically controlled--the sensor can't just move around freely on its own! That would make for MORE shake! If the camera is not on, the sensor cannot move.

Nothing should make any noise. Sounds like a part is broken off inside and rattling around. Or something got in there. Either way, it doesn't sound good.
12-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ddjchemist Quote
B&H had great deal on K-5IIs on Black Friday, so I could not resist to buy one. I received the camera today, but could not use it yet since I don't have any lenses yet. I ordered yesterday two Pentax lenses.
I noticed something weird with my K-5IIs. If I shake the camera, there is something loose inside. It feels as if the sensor is shaking. I would appreciate if someone who has K-5IIs can tell me if their camera does the same. If this is normal, is it coming from the shake reduction mechanism?

Cheers,
Dan
Yeah, that's normal. Pretty much applies to every Pentax DSLR with SR.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
For one, shake reduction is electronically controlled--the sensor can't just move around freely on its own! That would make for MORE shake! If the camera is not on, the sensor cannot move.
This is incorrect. The sensor does move on its own and it moves more or less freely when the camera is powered off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-03-2014, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's just the sound of pixie dust waiting to be uncorked once you put in one of those Limiteds.

Adam is right, that's normal for Pentax. I regularly shake my KX and K30 just to hear them rattle.

12-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, that's normal. Pretty much applies to every Pentax DSLR with SR.
Adam's on the mark as usual!

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
It's just the sound of pixie dust waiting to be uncorked once you put in one of those Limiteds.
But this too!
12-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your input. Now I can go to sleep in peace. I was almost panicking something was wrong with the camera. But most of you said it was normal. I also googled it and it seems normal.

Thank You All Very Much,
Dan
12-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Dan, enjoy your new camera. You are going to love it!
12-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I had to go check if mine rattles - yup.
Congrats on the purchase - you won't be disappointed.

12-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations, every new owner asks the same question. It is normal.
You will also hear a little scratching noise when you turn on the camera. That is the aperture motor spooling up, also normal.
Let me see - what else...
Oh - the camera will not come on if the card door is open,
For some lenses the AutoFocus uses a body side screw drive motor, you will hear it when you focus, although some lenses have an internal motor and they are quiet,
The flash does not pop up on its own, you need to push the lightning button on the side if you need it,

Lots of other questions will come up, feel free to ask.
Enjoy your awesome camera!

EDIT: hold on, you joined in 2008 and you are asking this? You should be answering our questions!
12-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Its a great camera, rattling sounds and all.
12-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #11

Chiming in to say that's normal, and you'll get used to it once your lenses arrive and you start to take some great pictures.
12-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Hope you enjoy it! I ordered mine before Thanksgiving, got it in and the rear e-dial did not function. I did nothing else with it (not even take a picture) but it went back to the retailer and the replacement should be here tomorrow.
12-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perfectly normal.

MadMathMind needs to hold his/her camera in his/her hand and tilt it sideways a few times.