Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

FluCard problems?

Hi Everyone,

I have a FluCard for my K-3 and have run into a problem. Hopefully others with one will be able to help or test their cards to see if they have the same problem.

The issue is this:

I place the card in slot #2 and no card in slot #1 and turn the camera on. It does it's boot up process and establishes a network. I can link to the network via my computer and take a picture and download a jpeg. I always shoot raw+jpeg and the raw and the jpeg files are written to the card. I understand that I cannot download the raw file over the network as this is limited by the card software.

So far, so good.

The problem is when I put the card in a card reader to get the raw files off it. I have tried 3 readers so far and in each I can see the folders, but when I try to open them, the systems crashes and ejects the card. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with all updates. The card tries to establish a network while in the card reader. (The beeping process occurs while in the reader.) I have checked the FluCard and Pentax sites and there is no info on this. It seems a bit strange that you can't read the card in a card reader.

My work around so far is to transfer the files in the camera from slot #2 to a card in slot #1 and use that card in the reader.

This is not how I envisioned this card working. I was hoping to be able to use both cards to their capacities in the field.

Could anyone with a FluCard please check if they have the same situation?

12-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I connect a USB cable to my K-S1, Hamiltom, because of course the moment the FluCard receives voltage - from camera or USB slot - it becomes a web server.

It may be possible to turn that behaviour off - worth reading the roadmap-like instruction sheet.
12-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I think I have figure it out. The card must be put in a card reader and then the settings are accessible via the wireless network. A new setting is now available which allows you to turn off the card's wireless feature. After that, the card can be read by a card reader.

The card then resets itself the next time you put it in the K-3.

Last edited by Hamiltom; 12-05-2014 at 06:14 AM.
09-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the card a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to figure that out right now. Should it show up as a server? I can't see it when I browse the network on my Mac.

09-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I've got the card a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to figure that out right now. Should it show up as a server? I can't see it when I browse the network on my Mac.
It appears as a wireless network in your Airport settings, so your Mac needs to drop off the wifi it's currently connected to.

Follow the docco.
09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, ....well I'm connected to the base station by an ethernet cable. I put the MAC number into the access panel. Is direct WiFi the only way to connect?
09-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Is direct WiFi the only way to connect?

Yep, follow the instructions.

Network wise, the camera becomes your laptop's DHCP server and router for the session. You can change the SSID from 'Flucard_for_Pentax' to something else if you like.

An advantage is that if you take photos of four people, each of them can download their photo from you there and then with their phones or laptops ... no exchanging email addresses, following up afterwards, etc.

Last edited by clackers; 09-02-2015 at 06:36 PM.