Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus will use sensor shift for 40mp (still) captures

It would be really SWEET if Pentax would offer this in its cameras:

Rumor: The Olympus E-M5II Will Use Sensor Shift to Capture 40MP Photos with a 16MP Sensor

Michael

12-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I gonna buy a new computer for this though, 200MB a photo, that's a lot of details
12-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, another of those things Pentax should have done years ago

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-04-2014 at 07:57 AM.
12-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
I gonna buy a new computer for this though, 200MB a photo, that's a lot of details
Imagine what Pentax can do with the k-3 24.4 sensor, we all need new computers with faster processor and higher capacity hard drives.

12-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

How many people really need such high MP count though? I know I don't, but I don't print wall-sized photos.
12-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this would work providing their lenses have an image circle big enough to do this without vignetting.
12-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is an interesting concept, though I suspect that it would not work with IBIS engaged nor at higher shutter speeds nor with other than static subjects. Still, imagine the S/N ratio and resolution with a modern 12 or 16 Mpx sensor shifted in this manner.

Steve

12-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
this would work providing their lenses have an image circle big enough to do this without vignetting.
But the shift is only one or two pixels, no? And cropping is not a big issue, since this feature would mostly be used in a controlled environment anyway, and produce 40MP images.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is an interesting concept, though I suspect that it would not work with IBIS engaged nor at higher shutter speeds nor with other than static subjects.
Yup, exactly, it would have very limited use, but for some photographers, it would be exactly what they need. Its a much less costly solution, compared to buying cameras with such high MP count
12-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It is done with a precision shift of only micrometers to allow each physical sensor site to have multiple inputs to the final image. This would be filling in the blanks, so to speak. Image circle should not be an issue. What is intriguing to me is the part of about aligning the R, G, and B sites at the same point to essentially emulate a Foveon.

Steve
12-04-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
it is indeed only for static (e.g. studio) shots. The image circle is not increased and thus it works with any existing lens. The only three DSLR companies that could deliver this are Sony, Olympus, and Pentax because only these three offer in-body stabilization. Like the AstroTracer feature, it would be a specialty item -- something that you would deliberately set the camera up for.

Michael
12-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
How many people really need such high MP count though? I know I don't, but I don't print wall-sized photos.
Very few people probably need it, but if you've already got the hardware to do it, why not? It's limited in use and appeal, but it wouldn't get in the way of people who don't use the feature.

Since those Hasselblads came out a few years ago, it seemed like only a matter of time before companies with in body stabilization started to throw this together. You could even leave it to computer software to do the processing.
12-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Forum Member

Sometimes it would be useful

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Very few people probably need it, but if you've already got the hardware to do it, why not? It's limited in use and appeal, but it wouldn't get in the way of people who don't use the feature.
Gigapan photography, where ever-higher total pixel resolution is the main goal, might find this feature useful.
12-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

Since those Hasselblads came out a few years ago, it seemed like only a matter of time before companies with in body stabilization started to throw this together. You could even leave it to computer software to do the processing.
Oh I wouldn't mind it at all if it was an option - and I don't mind it's not. I'm just saying, I don't think I'd ever use it. If others find it useful, that's great
12-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #14

I played around with the composition adjustment feature on my K-30 the other day and found it pretty neat. I wonder why Pentax hasn't implemented something like this? They're missing out on the hype train, at least.
12-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Banned

With the K-3 you would end up with 60 megapixel images...............who needs 645Z then?