Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the answer to this...??

My Sigma EX DG 24mm f1.8 has grown on me over time, I love its speed and it is sharp but it has one major drawback....lens flare!!

Is there an answer (other than get rid of it)? Polarizing Filters? or other type of filter?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 12-27-2008 at 02:07 AM.
05-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you use lens hood?
05-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, the lens hood is a permanent fixture on this lens, I even try and shade the lens further with my hand or hat.
I am very aware of the flare & try to avoid it, also not a big fan of filters.
05-22-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe a UV filter then. Extra glass in front of the lens... Not sure this would help. Give it a try.....

05-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Extra glass in front of the lens is more likely to *cause* flare than reduce it.

Try a more aggressive hood.
05-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Any filters on the lens will make the problem potentially worse, not better. If you've tried a more aggressive hood, or shading the lens with your hand or hat to no avail, then you still have a few options.
One is to just avoid situations that the lens will flare at. From the angle of the sun in your picture, this would appear to limit your picture taking to having the sun behind you, which is hardly ideal.
Another solution is to get good at retouching. This is probably what you are going to end up doing if you like the lens.
To me, the best solution is to get rid of the Sigma lens and buy a Pentax lens, which I realize is the option you don't seem to want to consider.
The 21mm LTD is an extremely good optic, though it is on the slow side. It has the advantage of being very small, which is nice. Pentax has made a few very nice 24mm lenses over the years.
I think Pentax is the best in the business for controlling flare. I've shot pictures with Pentax glass and had them come off flare free or nearly so in light conditions that my Nikon and Canon shootng friends find impossible to get good results from because of the flarey optics.
05-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Witjh such a wide field of view, it is next to impossible to avoid flares. The lens hood is made to let you use 10 mm, so it can't hide extraneous light at longer focal lenght. And at 10 mm the field of view is so wide that you almost always have stray light hitting the front lens. I think you'll have to learn to live with that.
05-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I missed the part about it being a 10mm lens. The original poster is talking about a 24mm prime lens.
Anyway, the best method of avoiding flare is to use optics that are manufactured with good coatings. Pentax excells in this.
Here is a link to some pictures that I found on the web some time ago. I'm not certain what the pictures on the left are for, but the pictures on the right show some very good flare resistance from the Pentax lenses he was using.
Note these are pentax 6x7 optics, but their 35mm optics have as good anti reflection coatings, and with their smaller front elements are unlikely to pick up as much flare cousing light.
6x7lenstest

05-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry if I'm misleading some people. I'm at work right now (so, you can see I work very hard) and got side tracked by a n employee, so I lost track of where I was. Please, just forget my previous post.
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think Pentax is the best in the business for controlling flare. I've shot pictures with Pentax glass and had them come off flare free or nearly so in light conditions that my Nikon and Canon shootng friends find impossible to get good results from because of the flarey optics.
This is true. I used to use Pentax primes almost exclusively. I liked putting the light source in my pictures at the time and I could shoot dead into the sun and get no flare.
05-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

There really isn't a way to avoid it. This lens is exceptionally bad when it comes to lens flare... which is so sad because it's exceptionally good in every other regard. Yeah... a more aggressive lens hood does help a little bit more (yay digital sensor sizes), as does some careful holding of the left hand in front of the lens, but I don't really see any way to reduce it when you have the light source right there in the picture. If you think that's bad, you should try shooting some neon signs. It can get CRAZY weird and colorful.
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thankyou one and all. Very helpful comments.

Looks like I'll just have to live with it for the time being....and do some homework on a Pentax replacement. Bloody LBA itch!

Thanks again.
Grant
05-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Or you can use it for artistic shots, where flare is a wanted effect.....
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Or you can use it for artistic shots, where flare is a wanted effect.....
I agree, I'm sure, with practice, you can turn it to your advantage Grant.
Gary