Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, I need your help

Does anyone have any idea what the strange marking on the picture are?? I've posted this before in the photo forum, but it didn't get much exposure(feedback) Clicking on the image will take you to the full size shot, where you can see much greater detail of the problem. The markings are so uniform that I feel smudges could be ruled out. I've tried different lenses, SD cards and this problem still exists. The camera seems to take a few good shots, then starts pumping out shots like this. Thanks.

05-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

Yeah it feels like you have grease or something either on the lens or the sensor. There are some dust spots too. Have you checked the sensor? (though it is strange if only some images have the markings).
05-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea, none what so ever!
Looks like a trip to Pentax coming up for the camera.
05-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The dust on the sensor is not the problem here (it is also there BTW).
But these lines are very very strange. Like Mallee Boy said: trip to Pentax won't hurt.

05-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks a bit similar to this problem: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/27916-bad-banding-...highlight=card
05-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #6

I agree with KungKrille, it looks like some left over residue on the sensor. Have you ever done a wet cleaning of the sensor with anything other than a sensor cleaner and a recommended swab(not a Q-tip)? If not it might be a good place to start. Also, if the residue is there, changes in humidity would tend to make the streaking more visible as weather conditions change (think of breathing on eye glasses). This might explain the presence of it only in some shots.

Cheers

Last edited by valleylad; 05-22-2008 at 05:10 AM.
05-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Unless you have a vertical stripe pattern on an internal element of a lens (ie it's been serviced...), unlikely, then I'd have to agree... leftover cleaning residue on the sensor would be my guess.

05-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm not worried about the dust!

I actually read that banding post before posting this. I've tried a couple of memory cards.....Now that I think about it, the only cards I've used are HCSD cards. The camera itself is an *ist DS, which according to dpreview and the manual mention nothing about HCSD cards....I wonder if this could be the case. I'll have to check that out....I can't really see why that would make a difference though.

I hope I don't have to send it to Pentax. It's modded for IR photography.
05-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jlamorie Quote
I agree with KungKrille, it looks like some left over residue on the sensor. Have you ever done a wet cleaning of the sensor with anything other than a sensor cleaner and a recommended swab(not a Q-tip)? If not it might be a good place to start. Also, if the residue is there, changes in humidity would tend to make the steaking more visable as weather conditions change (think of breathing on eye glasses). This might explain the presence of it only in some shots.

Cheers
I agree also. It looks like cleaning streaks if they aren't cleaned completely.
Brian
05-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #10

It definitively looks like smudges on sensor.
They may/may not appear depending on used lens or aperture.
They may be "latent", i.e. normally invisible/harmless, but under certain weather conditions the humidity can condensate on them.
05-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
Inactive Account

...it seems like finger-print on the sensor.
05-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd bet when the IR filter was removed during the mod the sensor got brushed with something oily. You could try a wet clean yourself to see if you can either make it go away, or at least alter the pattern to confirm gunk on the sensor, but I'm betting you will need to send it to a repair shop to have the sensor cleaned. You may find that Pentax imaging doesn't want to touch the thing now that it's been modified, but I suspect Philly is big enough to have an independant repair shop who can help you out.
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you all for your replies.

The normal filter was actually swapped for an IR filter. Its an IR only camera. Isn't the filter in front of the sensor though?

I'm going to run a few more tests tonight. I have been in contact with the person that modded the camera and they have offered to take a look at it for me.
05-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
Inactive Account

it reminds me of newton's rings - an optical effect. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what causes it, I think it's due to 2 bits of glass v.close together and you get a diffraction / interference pattern caused by the change in optical properties at the interface ?? (hazy 20yr old memory).
So it would suggest to me that you have a lens problem ? Is it only ocurring with one lens, or all lenses ?
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #15

You could just leave it like that and use it to artistic effect. I think it looks kinda cool.