Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Color Temp & Saturation

Greetings:

I have begun the learning process of post processing RAW files and need some direction. Can you please provide me with insight on color temperature and saturation? What should I be doing to maximize pics with these two settings and what, if any, is there interrelationship. Any tips will be greatly appreciated—thanks.

Ernest

05-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My answer would be that they are independent of each other - color temperature you can adjust to fix the range of colors across the entire photograph, if the camera captured the scene assuming the wrong type of light. An extreme example would be if you took a shot in flourescent light set on the daylight setting. You would adjust the color temperature in RAW to fix the green tones you get from the flourescent.

Independent of the temperature, if you want to make the colors "pop" more, you can increase the saturation. The best way to see what's happening is to just crank it up and down and watch what happens. (same thing with the temperature, actually....)
You can easily go overboard with this, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's up to you to serve up your vision the way you want it.

I'm not an expert on color theory and such, this is just my humble view of the subject.
05-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #3

Those two settings shouldn't be interrelated at all. In fact, while one is pretty definite, the other is up to you.

White balance is basically to compensate for the color of the light that was falling on the subject in the photo. There's no real interpretation to it, it's either right or wrong. Well, unless you're in a mixed-lighting scenario where there's a tradeoff one way or the other, but that's different.

Saturation is subjective. Consumer-y cameras (like the Canikons) tend to produce default images that are a bit over-saturated for many people's tastes. That doesn't mean they're bad or wrong, it's a personal choice.
05-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses--I appreciate them. JOEFRU, I did not ask about White Balance though; I asked about color teperature and saturation. KHARDUR brought White Balance into the discussion.

I understand how to use White Balance and I understand what it does.

05-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I did not ask about White Balance though; I asked about color teperature and saturation. KHARDUR brought White Balance into the discussion.

I understand how to use White Balance and I understand what it does.
If you understood White Balance then you would know that it is made up of temperature and tint

That is why Khardur and joefru both bought it into the discussion.
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

KHARDUR brought White Balance into the discussion.
Exactly. So I suppose I should have said "color temperature is actually your white balance". It is the color temperature settings that are set behind the scenes when you pick a white balance setting. (daylight, cloudy, shade etc..) or do a manual white balance. The camera companies have just picked defaults to make it easier for people to understand than having to pick a color temperature number in-camera. (of course some cameras allow you to do just that as well.)
05-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, I appreciate everyone's comments--thank you. White Balance, on my software, is adjusted independently of color temperature. There are different controls in the software to adjust each function, treating them as if they wereindependent of ech other. On the K20, I am aware of the importance of seleting the correct White Balance---I learned this by trusting the"automatic white balance" which sometimes does not work.

That was why I specifically asked about color temperature. Now I can see a relationship, thank you very much. The K20's advanced White Balance controls suggest this relationship--I should have inutuited this from working with the K20s software for manually setting white balance.

So it looks like my answers are to adjust saturation to my own taste; this is s more subjective adjustment?

And for color temperature, I need to strive to keep whites white and so forth--much more objective?

From what I've learned, temperature controls color accuaracy, and saturation controls the intensity of the colors--would you say this is accurate?
05-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #8

From what I've learned, temperature controls color accuaracy, and saturation controls the intensity of the colors--would you say this is accurate?
Spot on....