Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DRAT IT...Found a speck.

Yes...my very first one, and it is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

The reason that I bought my Tamron 18-200mm lens is because of it being praised at a good walk-a-round lens - and I felt good about not having to travel through near-frequent lens swapping, which could very possibly lead to the contraction of particles. But I caught something, anyway, and it looks like anything but dust. The best way to describe it is that it has the appearance of a very short, curved piece of string. I have applied the dust removal feature (a number of times) to the task of defeating this troublesome visual offender - but, alas, it remains there to IRK ME TO NO END .

Now, I have never experienced having to do such a cleaning that is presently confronting me, and I hope that it is as trouble-free as some of you have said that it is. What I need to know is this: what is the best thing that I can get for the job at hand? Would a can of compressed air be enough? And safe? Or should there be concerns over blowing something delicate out of alignment?

Your help is (in advance) most appreciated.

02-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Compressed air NOOOOO!

Seriously, compressed air is quite strong. You can definitely knock something out with something like that.

I personally use one of those little bulb blower and it has been successful with everything. I know people rave about the Rocket Blower...a quick google search should get you something.

If you have compressed air and you really want to use it, then don't shoot the air into the body point blank. If your camera's in one hand and your canned air is in the other, stretch your arms as far apart as possible. Also, be aware of the possibility of your can shooting liquid out at certain angles...yet another reason not to use canned air.
02-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #3

Rocket Blower

I just bought a Giottos Rocket Blower because I had a speck on the sensor of my K10D. A couple of blasts with the blower and the speck is gone
02-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

found a speck not too long ago, and like you i was pretty annoyed.

bought a giotto rocket blower medium first to try..and it worked...
try that first before u go touching the sensor...
and do not use compressed air....

02-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nathan, What ever you do DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR!!! It is a strong blast, but even more importantly the stuff they use as propellent will gum up your sensor. The Rocket Blower is a good alternative, I personally use a foot pump like the kind they have to blow up air mattresses and the like. If you are interested, here is a link to some very good info on cleaning sensors:
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction
Usually a blower works but once I had to resort to using pec pads and methanol (same thing as Eclipse fluid and much cheaper)

NaCl(it really is a simple operation)H2O
02-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.

NaCI...that supplied link was very informative, and immensely helpful. I really appreciated that.
02-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are welcome Nathan, that site was the one that got me over the hump as far as being nervous about sensor cleaning is concerned. It should be required reading for every dslr owner.

NaCl(I should check to see if it's on the "links" section here)H2O