Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

Thank you for info. Just trying to look at best strap to replace strap that came with K-3. I would like something longer. Any suggestions welcome.

12-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I prefer metal screw carabiners, heavy duty snap hooks, and small O rings to sling straps or quick release straps. It's just as easy to unhook the strap if I need to but I feel a lot more secure knowing my camera is being held by a set up like that. I use Capturing Couture straps, love them, but I cut the nylon straps off the metal link part and use the set up I mentioned. I use a small carabiner on the metal part and then attach a really strong snap hook to that. (I use a little monster tape to make washers on the sides so the carabiner stays straight.) The camera gets small steel o-rings and I just use the snap hooks. I want the camera off the strap I just unhook it. I'm using very sturdy stainless steel hooks that don't open easily. O rings that are meant to take a lot of weight and that won't come undone. Metal carabiners that won't come unscrewed sans pliers unless you want them to even with 200lbs on them. You can find this stuff in any good hardware store and I really think it's far better than messing around with nylon and plastic.
12-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Black Rapid?

I had their strap on my Canon 40D last summer when I was bending down to put on knee pads, the camera dropped to the ground. The metal clasp somehow came loose soon as I got home I removed it and purchased an Ape Case strap. If you write to "Black Rapid" they will send you a secure clasp to put on top of that piece,I got a free one at Photo Plus after I told the representative what had happened.This is not anything new since they are a lot of complaints of cameras dropping to the ground.
12-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sportsgal501 Quote
Black Rapid?

I had their strap on my Canon 40D last summer when I was bending down to put on knee pads, the camera dropped to the ground. The metal clasp somehow came loose soon as I got home I removed it and purchased an Ape Case strap. If you write to "Black Rapid" they will send you a secure clasp to put on top of that piece,I got a free one at Photo Plus after I told the representative what had happened.This is not anything new since they are a lot of complaints of cameras dropping to the ground.
I'm curious, what piece is the metal clasp? I need to check if mine has this clasp.

12-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #20

I've been using a generic strap from Rainbow Imaging for the past two years and several hundred miles of backpacking and hiking. I've never had a problem with it coming with it coming loose. I checked it constantly for the first few hikes, but much more rarely now.

I would guess that the difference is in the base plates. The base plate I have is quite large. Some of the others are much smaller and would require a larger torque to get the same frictional force between the body and plate.

They do make leashes for the single point slings that attach to the camera strap mounts. I would think a piece of cross grain or small cord would do the trick as well.

Matt
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawtonkar Quote
Thank you for info. Just trying to look at best strap to replace strap that came with K-3. I would like something longer. Any suggestions welcome.
Optech USA sling strap is worth checking out.
It attaches via loops on the lugs so no danger of a tripod screw undoing itself.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Black) 3501242 B&H Photo Video
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #22

I used a Peak Design strap. It connects to the strap connects on the top of the camera. I did not like how some of the other straps connected and let the camera hang upside down. Plus it allows me to attached the camera to a tripod with out having to change anything.

Mort.

12-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm curious, what piece is the metal clasp? I need to check if mine has this clasp.
This is what he gave me to cover the clasp.
My strap is now on my 40D so I had tried it when I got home, won't fit or I have no clue what I'm doing. Apparently the piece is too small..go figure.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sportsgal501; 12-08-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: To Add more detail
12-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sportsgal501 Quote
This is what he gave me to cover the clasp.
My strap is now on my 40D so I had tried it when I got home, won't fit or I have no clue what I'm doing. Apparently the piece is too small..go figure.
Your picture looks like a fastener and something else, sorry I can't tell. Is it a Lockstar? I don't see the purpose of the lockstar since the carabiner has a screw lock, at least it screws tight on mine.
12-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never heard of the BosStrap strap- I like it. Thanks for the suggestion.
12-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Try it with a K-3, battery grip, DA*300 and 1.4X TC.
I suppose something a little wider might help prevent that millstone from severing one's head.

Every day I am reminded here why I'm happy to still be using compact lightweight film gear.

Chris
12-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #27
Forum Member

I have share that I was reading this thread, and my husband just walked by and asked me what I was looking at. I told him it was a thread about strap on's and he just said no way don't even think about it
12-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #28

Of all the sling straps I've seen the BosStrap looks to be the best.
12-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

My setup.
12-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Black Rapid strap and have had it unscrew several times - on one occasion, the camera hit the ground. I now keep a hand on the camera and regularly check the screw.