Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I use a Black Rapid strap and have had it unscrew several times - on one occasion, the camera hit the ground. I now keep a hand on the camera and regularly check the screw.
With that history, is it really worth staying with that particular product? Not to mention the extra mindshare you have to give it. When a product fails me (and it only took one close call with a tripod screw-based strap), I ditch it ASAP.

M

12-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I use a Black Rapid strap and have had it unscrew several times - on one occasion, the camera hit the ground. I now keep a hand on the camera and regularly check the screw.
Send them an email regarding the issue you are having, hopefully they will send you a reinforcement piece. I posted a picture of it on the previous page.
12-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can buy the tripod mount lugs with rubber locking washer separately. I think if that rubber gets hard with age, the compression lock will not be effective.
12-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax (and others). Could you please add one extra strap lug on the bottom side of cameras? It would solve strap problem ones and for all.

12-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geordieman Quote
Having recently purchased a sling type strap for my K3 I feel I must warn others about my mishap.
The strap from a reputable maker was secured to the tripod bush of my K3 and the connection was checked often during the day, however it unscrewed and the camera fell onto a concrete surface.
The lens a Sigma zoom hit the ground first and the hood broke in two, the camera only had a slight scratch on the top plate and apart from that appears undamaged.
I have been lucky and I now use an elasticated neck strap at its maximum length and wear it as a sling, and it is just as easy to use but far more secure.
I use a Carry Speed and it has a second strap as a backup in the event the screw nut comes loose., and it has on more than one occasion. The backup connector is similar to the Optech slling strap shown by Huy in this thread.
12-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #36

The thought of that camera hitting the ground made me cringe.
12-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #37

How about a little Loktite. The kind designed to hold yet can be unscrewed.

12-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've had a couple scares in the last few years where my camera spun around enough that the fastener came loose.

I think this is a great solution -- arca swiss mount plate (you can even loctite the plate to the tripod mount on your grip if you have another one for the body when you're going gripless) on the camera, an arca swiss clamp on your sling strap, plus a safety snap like the Op/Tech products use for backup. As a bonus, your camera is always ready to be on a tripod.
Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

I've had loctite on my blackrapid carabiner clip since shortly after I got it. I have no reason to remove it, but I used the blue kind so I can if I need to.
12-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #39

Plus 1 on the Bosstrap. And it is made in USA by a small local company . The strap attaches to the strap lug and allows use of tripod socket any time.
BosStrapBosStrap | Secure at your Side
12-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #40
Pentaxian

My Canon G 12 has a neck strap from Canon...part of the kit. A couple of months ago, one end of the strap let go and down the camera went. Fortunately, it seems to work well.

I immediately got rid of the Canon strap and bought a much sturdier after market strap that works very well and seems much more secure.

The original Canon strap never seemed 100%. BTW, I've found all my Pentax DSLR's straps to be holding fast and well.

The Canon strap was the first faulty strap I've ever had in owning many different makes of cameras and using many different straps.
12-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

If you're going to use an eye-bolt, please spend 20 cents on a locking washer. If the stem of the bolt is long enough, reverse tight a wing nut on it.

Honestly, my set-up costs less than 15 bucks. Even the weakest part (the carabiner) is factory rated to 75 pounds before yielding...
12-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

All of theses things using the tripod bush looked more complex, expensive and hazardous to me than it should. Even it doesn't fall, I see there more risk to hit the camera on the side.

Finally I decided for less expensive and simpler solution. I just used a classic strap, similar to the one provided by default by Pentax. But this one is make by Op tech USA and overall is more comfortable and bigger, meaning the weight is easier to handle. This would be my advice to stay simple.
12-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
All of theses things using the tripod bush looked more complex, expensive and hazardous to me than it should. Even it doesn't fall, I see there more risk to hit the camera on the side.

Finally I decided for less expensive and simpler solution. I just used a classic strap, similar to the one provided by default by Pentax. But this one is make by Op tech USA and overall is more comfortable and bigger, meaning the weight is easier to handle. This would be my advice to stay simple.
I hate classic straps. Taking photos in portrait with the classic straps is just annoying. One of the strap constantly tries to wrap around my hand.

When I wear the sling strap, my camera naturally rests on my body's right side, and my right palm covers the lens easily. If anything would happen to the camera, my right hand can probably shield it. If not, I probably deserve the damage. On the other hand, I can say that people who put the camera in front of their chest/stomach risk damaging the lens when they lean forward. There's always a chance to get scratches on the glass. I'm not bothered by carrying it side way.

As for the loosen bolt... A spring washer plus a locking nut will prevent any bolt movement due to vibration or mild torque. The only two ways to detach the bolt from the camera is 1) intentionally unthread it; or 2) break the bolt. The latter won't occur, because my neck will probably snap first