Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Sling straps - A warning

Having recently purchased a sling type strap for my K3 I feel I must warn others about my mishap.
The strap from a reputable maker was secured to the tripod bush of my K3 and the connection was checked often during the day, however it unscrewed and the camera fell onto a concrete surface.
The lens a Sigma zoom hit the ground first and the hood broke in two, the camera only had a slight scratch on the top plate and apart from that appears undamaged.
I have been lucky and I now use an elasticated neck strap at its maximum length and wear it as a sling, and it is just as easy to use but far more secure.

12-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Interesting, thanks for the heads up, I'm glad it wasn't too disastrous for you.
12-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed thanks for the heads up must say my heart skipped a beat fearing the worst for you glad you got away without copping too much of a beating
12-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by geordieman Quote
Having recently purchased a sling type strap for my K3 I feel I must warn others about my mishap.
The strap from a reputable maker was secured to the tripod bush of my K3 and the connection was checked often during the day, however it unscrewed and the camera fell onto a concrete surface.
The lens a Sigma zoom hit the ground first and the hood broke in two, the camera only had a slight scratch on the top plate and apart from that appears undamaged.
I have been lucky and I now use an elasticated neck strap at its maximum length and wear it as a sling, and it is just as easy to use but far more secure.
Try a Boss Strap and you will never have a problem as you described again. Camera is secure and you get the most flexibility possible. About $50.

12-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have long used a quick release strap worn slingstyle. I just can't bring myself to trust a strap with a single attachment point. Sorry you learned the hard way, but glad you suffered no serious damage to your gear.
12-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Has someone tried this company? Performance Camera Straps | Custom SLR

I'm still researching best options for the strap before jumping into making my own. Seriously, buying buckles and nylon or poly webbing plus heavy duty sewing machine will not much job to create own strap, but I'm lazy.
12-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Banned

I use BlackRapid straps and have never had anything loosen up, however, I use their tether straps as a back-up just in case. See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/280475...ml#post3046641

12-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
Try a Boss Strap and you will never have a problem as you described again. Camera is secure and you get the most flexibility possible. About $50.
Indeed. I had a close call with a tripod-mount sling strap. Ditched it the next day and purchased a Boss strap. Works great when carrying a relatively heavy load.

It seems like many of the most popular tripod screw based straps have a secondary failsafe-type smaller strap. That's an inherent acknowledgement of a risky, if not poor original design. That's nuts.

M
12-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

I use a crumple strap which is very comfortable. I do attach one end to a tripod attachment plate because tha camera hangs at a much more comfortable angle that way. My biggest complaint against the adapter is that the new tripod attachment is too shallow and some tripod screws will not go fully home, resulting in a loose fit.

JH
12-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used a Black Rapid strap for over three years, the rubber washer compression keeps it from coming loose, the only way it could come loose would be if it wasn't tightened enough. I also have a BosTail that I got to use with the Black Rapid strap it if I wanted to keep a QR plate on the camera. The camera seems more secure with the Black Rapid connector and it can alos be used with long lenses. I think the BosTail is secure enough, it just hangs in a less comfortable position. I recently bought a very cheap Caden Black Rapid knockoff, a friend bought one and really likes it. I thought that would be nice when I want to hike with two cameras. The Caden also has a connector that lets you use a QR plate. The Caden strap cannot compare. The connector does come loose, I think it's because the rubber is too hard to compress, I may try to fix this with some rubber or cork because it's a good concept.. Also some of the buckles don't fit the straps.
12-07-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

I never never use that garbage, those and the " gunslinger on the belt things !" My cam and the 120-400 are either in my hand or a laptop bag that holds
it horizontal hood and all. Just takes a moment to remove it by the handle, no danger of dropping or banging it on something.
Seen some people with 2 straps crossed and 2 cameras swinging around ! Must be a Grunge thing
12-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be worse. You could have sling-shot it into the ground with a neoprene strap.

In my experience an "old-fashioned" thin woven nylon neckstrap permanently attached at two points is the most secure.

It's short enough that your camera won't swing about dangerously even when you bend over.
When adjusted to the proper length it also acts as a camera brace when you hold camera to your eye.
Best of all it's usually supplied with the camera body, i.e. it's free!

Chris
12-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I added a safety strap to my Carry Speed CS-Pro a few weeks ago, after hearing of similar stories. I attached the main strap to my DA*300 tripod mount, and the safety strap to my K-3. That very same day, the main strap came free of the tripod mount and the safety strap caught my rig, preventing a fall.

I'm pretty sure it was user error, I installed the tripod screw attachment improperly, but that's beside the point. The safety strap saved my ass. I will only use the sling with two attachment points from now on.

---------- Post added 2014-12-07 at 11:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In my experience an "old-fashioned" thin woven nylon neckstrap permanently attached at two points is the most secure.

It's short enough that your camera won't swing about dangerously even when you bend over.
When adjusted to the proper length it also acts as a camera brace when you hold camera to your eye.
Best of all it's usually supplied with the camera body, i.e. it's free!
Try it with a K-3, battery grip, DA*300 and 1.4X TC.

---------- Post added 2014-12-07 at 11:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
I never never use that garbage, those and the " gunslinger on the belt things !" My cam and the 120-400 are either in my hand or a laptop bag that holds
it horizontal hood and all. Just takes a moment to remove it by the handle, no danger of dropping or banging it on something.
Seen some people with 2 straps crossed and 2 cameras swinging around ! Must be a Grunge thing
A sling is a great solution for quick shooting.

There's nothing Grunge about me, yet for wildlife/birding/nature I usually have a sling over one shoulder and a messenger bag over the other shoulder, with another body and spare lenses. I just ordered one the holster type bags, so I guess I'm one of those guys.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-07-2014 at 09:20 AM.
12-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of the method of sling/strap used, I've long used a short, 4"-6" tether with a sturdy alligator clip attached to the body as an 'anti-swing' device. Clipped to a shirt or jacket it stabilizes both cameras and binoculars leaving hands free for other things. The clip works just as well at either end of the tether depending on the use.
12-07-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Huy
Forum Member

I use Optech sling strap and a arca QR plate with strap loop. I attach one loop to the QR plate and the other to the camera body.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 925  Photo