Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #1

Camera Upgrade

I've been considering this for the past few months but as I'm a student without a job it's quite hard. But I aim to get a job soon to get the ball rolling. I've got a K-r with a few lenses. I'm not looking to switch to Canikon anytime soon because my lenses are K mount and I feel it'd be a waste of an investment. I'd probably be looking to sell my K-r so that I could have more money to purchase a new DSLR but I don't think they're worth too much anymore. Any recommendations?

TL;DR - I have a Pentax K-r, looking to upgrade but not too pricey, suggestions?

Check out a small sample of some work: Kieron D. Photography

12-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

You may be pleasantly surprised at what your K-R is worth - take a look at completed listings on eBay to see what they sell for.
12-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love your work! My suggestion would be to keep upgrading your lens selection if you intend on staying with Pentax. Bodies change, but lenses endure.
12-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There have been and still are some tremendous deals on the K-50 and K5IIs. Either would be a nice upgrade and not too pricey.

12-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No shame on the Kr, its sensor is still considered quite capable, and it does at least offer one AF adjustment, which I consider a must if you have a collection of lenses -- perhaps more so as your collection expands.

However, while I've never actually looked through a Kr, I never found pentamirror viewfinders to be very impressive, at least not on the cheaper plastic Pentax film bodies I have, like the ZX-7 or ZX-50. I feel like I am looking through a kaleidoscope tube, albeit without the little colored confetti. Same goes for the current cheap pentamirror Canons/Nikons out there. The Pentax pentaprisms, on current bodies, and even those on the older AF film bodies like the SF-10, are much bigger and brighter, and feel much funner to use.

At the current prices for a new K-50 body, I would find that hard to resist! In addition to a pentaprism, it has multiple AF adjustments. Truly state of the art in still camera technology, at the price of a cheap Rebel, or even less. The masses don't know what they are missing!
12-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I looked at your website. The sample images are mostly high contrast street photography. I like the composition and results, but that style you use might not benefit much from an upgrade. How do you feel the K-r is restricting your photography? Are you dissatisfied with the autofocus, flash, high ISO, resolution for large printing, something else?

Does the K-r plus lens size sometimes feel too bulky? Consider a Ricoh GR.

Do you want to branch out and try different subjects like wildlife, architecture, landscapes, sports? Consider the K-3 for autofocus on fast moving subjects; for slower targets the K-50 will save you money.