Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #1

Inexpensive External Microphone

I'm searching for a reasonably priced external microphone for recording wildlife sounds. The Rode VideoMic Pro is a little pricier than I'd like. In looking around online I've found that the Sony ECM MSD1 is a available a good deal less, with used ones at under $100. It looks like an acceptable compromise, but I've read conflicting reports about whether the mount is compatible with non-Sony cameras.

Does anyone have experience with this microphone?

Thanks.

12-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Original Poster
Also wondering about this one:

TASCAM TM-2X - X-Y Pattern Stereo Cardioid Mic

Hope someone can help out.
12-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the sony.
It's certainly not bad, but i am unsure whether this is suitable for wildlife sounds. Indeed, mine has a sony "minolta" mount. guess adapters are out there, but still..
I think I'd be more confident in the Tascam to be honest.

However, for quality wildlife sounds, you might want to consider a separate handheld recorder?
12-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the Tascam (seller has a 30 day return policy). Since weight, size, and ability to get it running fast are factors, this seemed like the best option. I'll test it locally before taking it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I have the sony.
It's certainly not bad, but i am unsure whether this is suitable for wildlife sounds. Indeed, mine has a sony "minolta" mount. guess adapters are out there, but still..
I think I'd be more confident in the Tascam to be honest.

However, for quality wildlife sounds, you might want to consider a separate handheld recorder?

12-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkProjectCoyoteIBW Quote
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the Tascam (seller has a 30 day return policy). Since weight, size, and ability to get it running fast are factors, this seemed like the best option. I'll test it locally before taking it out.
I have had the Tascam for about a year, you will not be sorry you bought it. It is simply excellent outdoors. One bit of advice get a 2"x4"x3" piece of light (open bubble space) foam rubber pad ,cut and hollow out the center and attach this to the mic for wind noise reduction.

Last edited by pento57mm; 12-08-2014 at 07:11 PM.