Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Who uses the battery hand grip? Seems like a lot of extra weight. Is it worth it for use with a mid size zoom lens?
The true value of the battery grip is revealed when hand-holding the camera. The advantage of the extra battery takes a distant second place to the stability added by the grip when you're hand-holding an SLR.

The base of your hand and the outer three fingers support most of the camera's weight when lenses like the DA 18-135 or larger are mounted. That leaves your index finger and thumb free to instantly manipulate dials and buttons, and your left hand free to manually focus.

When you are shooting vertically (hand-held) you can brace both upper arms against my torso for maximum stability. Try holding a camera still in a stiff wind or on a ship rolling in a 3 metre swell when your right elbow is pointed outwards.

The beauty of the K-7/K-5/K-3 body is that even with the grip attached, it is still compact.

I use the battery grip because of its gripping power. The extra battery is just gravy.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2014 at 20:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
What's a limiter?
He's talking about the "Limited" series of lenses made by Pentax: DA 15mm f4, DA 21mm f3.2, DA 35mm f2.8 Macro, DA 40mm f2.8, DA 70mm f2.4, DA 20-40mm f2.8-4, FA 31mm f1.8mm, FA 43mm f1.9, and FA 77mm f1.8. They're known for the combination of compact size and superb optics (and priced accordingly).

Even though the lenses are compact, he still leaves the battery grip attached.

12-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

my hands are just big enough that trying to use the k5 and a da* lens without the battery grip ends up giving me really awful hand cramps.
12-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have and use them on both my K10D and K-3. I find that they are very helpful when shooting in portrait mode, and the extra battery in the grip has come in handy. The one time I went out to a local park without the grip on my K10D, I ran the battery down in the cold.