Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax battery hand grip

Who uses the battery hand grip? Seems like a lot of extra weight. Is it worth it for use with a mid size zoom lens?

12-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it makes the camera easier to hold with medium to large lenses, and the doubled battery life certainly comes in handy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Additional shutter button in portrait orientation and an additional control wheel also comes handy.
12-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you have big hands, (you can catch a bascket ball with one hand), it's almost a necessity, whatever the lens.

12-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't use my K20, K5, or K3 without one. They are worth the extra weight.
12-09-2014, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
And if you switch frequently between horizontal to vertical it is very comfortable to hold and fast to change. Example when i shot my sons Youth Soccer, and i am using a long lens with a ring on a monopod, i switch frequently depnding on the action. Since i have the grip for my K-3 i am enyoing the camera more. Even if i use a smaller lens without a ring like the 16-50, it is just easier to hold the camera on a more natural position. Weight has not being a issue since in this case i carry the K-3 on my black rapid shoulder strap. I waited a lot to buy the grip at a good price since it is not a must, but after i have it i enjoy it and use it a lot.

However, if i carry my K-30 with a 18-135 (light weight WR -- walk in the rain/travel light combo) i do not miss a grip because small size and low weight is the advantage of the K-30. Therefore i guess depends on the camera, lens, and how you use it.
12-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't leave home without it, even when shooting limiteds.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-09-2014 at 11:59 AM.
12-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Don't leave home without it, even when shooting limiters.
What's a limiter?
12-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have found the grip absolutely essential when shooting, hand-held, with the DA* 300 and Tamron 70-200. It also helps with hand-held shooting in portrait orientation, regardless of size of lens being used.
12-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Many of us shoot Pentax to minimize bulk and weight. The grip tends to defeat that purpose.

One thing I don't like is having to remove the grip to change the primary battery.

Having said all of that I wouldn't mind having one for telephoto stuff.
12-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use it because it makes me feel cooler. Only lame-oes use tiny cameras. Just ask the 1D users.
12-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Many of us shoot Pentax to minimize bulk and weight. The grip tends to defeat that purpose.

One thing I don't like is having to remove the grip to change the primary battery.

Having said all of that I wouldn't mind having one for telephoto stuff.
I can do so very simply by removing the grip. However, if I don't have it and need it I'm out of luck. I find that for my shooting the grip really makes a very positive difference. I have large hands, often shoot long lenses, and routinely shoot in both portrait and landscape. I find that I miss more shots or have fewer keepers when trying to hold the camera from the top and shoot than when I have the grip and can hold it as normal but in the portrait orientation. All-in-all, I have to make a conscious decision to take the grip off the camera. When I want smaller I go with the K-01 or the Q most of the time.
12-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My had fit the camera better so yes I like it and use it.
12-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have BIG hands! XXL gloves are too small. Both my K-3 and K200D have grips that live on each body. The only time they come off is to change the main batteries.
12-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have a K5 and two K10's. Only one K10 doesn't have the grip.
Guess which one feels the most awkward to shoot with?