Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sakar MC auto zoom 80-200 lens

Hi folks,
I had a pentax K1000 that I used for years and recently got a K 10d. I must say I am very happy with the new camera and have been using it a lot.
My old lenses work quite well with it, except the SAKAR MC AUTO ZOOM 80-200 1:4-5.6
I had bought this lens a few years ago and don't remember it giving any trouble, not that I ever blew up photos to the size where one could have told. But now, when I shoot digital stills and can blow them up on my comp, I see
1. a complete lack of sharpness
2. a kind of diffusion (like a soft filter does) and
3. an inability to focus at infinity.
I am attaching an image I took with this lens.

And here is a link to other photos taken with my other lenses. Perfectly sharp.
Flickr: Photos from Shefali Bhushan

I did get the lens cleaned a few days ago and it made no perceptible differenc e although the mechanic told me that he was fixing.
1- moisture between some layers
2 - A focus issue...

Any thoughts?
Is this just a bad lens coz. I can find no information about it on the net?
Or is it a problem that could be fixed?

Would be grateful for all inputs.
Thanks
Shefali

Attached Images

02-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #2

Hi Shefali, I came across your posting while searching for entry on Sakar zoom. I was given a 75-210 Sakar and have been using it with my film slr Pentax P3 and I'm curious about other people's experience with that lens. Anyway, in my opinion it's a decent lens but I suspect the resolution is not up to dslr's demand. And from what I've heard, many old lenses would yield soft or even blurry images on dslr, and more so on higher pixel dslr like your k10d.

I'm no expert in this, just sharing with you what I've heard about this particular case, and although your Sakar zoom is different from mine, it might suffer from the same problem (a reviewer in Photodo.com even said that Pentax FA 28-70/4 would not perform well in K-10D although in my experience it's a good lens).

Now I'm thinking of the possibility to exploit the softness of my Sakar zoom for portraiture.

Cheers

Data
02-26-2007, 03:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Its interesting what you say about the lenses not performing well with the DSLRs coz. my other lenses, pentax 50 mm, tokina 28 mm, they work quite well.
I am not sure why this one doesn't..
but yes, its a good idea to use its softness.
Cheers
Shefali