Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #1

Looking to upgrade from my K100D

Re-posting this to this forum thanks to a suggestion from someone smarter than I :-)

I am looking to finally upgrade my Pentax K100d. I've now had this (and have been happy with it) for a long time. I upgraded from the K1000 film camera, I first started using that in Vietnam, and still have and use all my old lenses. So I am looking for suggestions and input, I can not afford new :-( so will be looking at the resale market. any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

12-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 series is going for $350-600 now used and is a solid value IMHO. My preference is for the iis because of the added sharpness.
12-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I loved my K100D Super, but the K-30 was a huge upgrade. Any of the late model cameras will be a similar or greater upgrade.

I would have suggested a used K-30, but new K-50, K-5iis (recently discontinued), K-S1 and K-3s have all been so heavily discounted recently that you might be better to review the issue of going for a new camera. A new K-50 for about $350 (with warranty) against say $250-300 for a used K-30 would seem a simple choice. And you could also get a bundle with a DA 18-135, DA 35 and/or DA 50 at such a big discount that if you don't want to keep them you would get your money back on resale.
12-09-2014, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I hate the term upgrading. A different camera is not an upgrade if you simply don't need or use it's "better" features. Never print more than 8x10? The K100D is perfectly fine. Don't crop much? Same answer. A newer camera is only an upgrade if it has specific capabilities your current one lacks, and unless we know WHAT you lack now and desire in a newer camera, we can only advise in generalities, as folks have already done in recommending recent Pentax bodies.

What kind of photos are you unable to capture with your K100D?

One of my all-time favorite cameras was my K20D. Used they go for under $200 and at 14mp you won't find much to complain about, imagewise. The K10D is slightly earlier, less mp, and is cheaper. Looking at my K-3 images and comparing to my K20D images, I almost regret "upgrading".

12-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #5

I had a K100D. Loved it.

An upgrade to a K-5 will blow your mind. Or K-5II(s).

It's like putting down a toy and picking up a top-quality professional tool. You will love how much better shooting and post-processing are with the K-5. And afterwards, you might drive some nails with it if you can't find a hammer. It feels like a solid block.

They can be had so cheap now. It boggles the mind.
12-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand your point Wolfeye, but It's hard not to call the shift from K100D to K-30 an upgrade. It has lots and lots of extra features that I use every day: LiveView, video, the two wheels, TAv, and so on. Even little things like focus peaking and the level indicator and the fact that it remembers settings for exposure bracketing instead of having to set them each time. I crop a lot so the extra pixels are invaluable. I use the higher ISO capacity all the time. And DNG RAW. And RAW+jpg. etc etc etc.
12-09-2014, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hmmmm ,

Prices are all over the place ... A new in the box K30 body can be had from $380 USD / A new in the box K50 body from around $400 USD
What ever used camera U are looking at needs to be a hell of a deal !
I would not pay over $300 USD for anything up to a K5 ( Body Price ) ...
New camera prices are going down down down ! Why even consider used ?
Like I said , it would need to be a good deal before I would even consider a used camera .. And anything over $300 is not being such a great deal ATM
If I were you , id be looking for a great deal on a new camera ... And the two to look at are the K30 and K50

The used market is still to come to terms with the recent price drops across the Pentax range of NEW CAMERAS ! ..
One gets the feeling some people have held on way too longer for a sucker to come along and pay TOP DOLLAR for used gear ..
And that ship has well and truly left port , long gone .
I have seen the K30 from $380 to $1300 USD ( Just the body ) ... Guess who has lost touch with reality ? ( Again some one fishing for a sucker )
Not sure how long it will take for the used market to catch up to the current price levels ?
But you know something is not right when a used camera is $200 USD more than a new one ...

Anyhow , that was a nice rant ,

12-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcrusoe Quote
Re-posting this to this forum thanks to a suggestion from someone smarter than I :-)
I wouldn't go so far as to say smarter, I just been using the website longer, that's all. Glad you found the right place.
12-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I still have my K100D, use it for M42 lenses and don't think i will part with it ever

I upgraded to K10 and then K5, and if you can find a K5IIs at a good Price, that would be my pick today. It's an awesome Camera.
It will be an upgrade in almost every aspect, speed, handling, MP (Read ability to Crop), DR, ISO, WR etc....
12-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Hmmmm ,

Prices are all over the place ... A new in the box K30 body can be had from $380 USD / A new in the box K50 body from around $400 USD
What ever used camera U are looking at needs to be a hell of a deal !
I would not pay over $300 USD for anything up to a K5 ( Body Price ) ...
New camera prices are going down down down ! Why even consider used ?
Like I said , it would need to be a good deal before I would even consider a used camera .. And anything over $300 is not being such a great deal ATM
If I were you , id be looking for a great deal on a new camera ... And the two to look at are the K30 and K50

The used market is still to come to terms with the recent price drops across the Pentax range of NEW CAMERAS ! ..
One gets the feeling some people have held on way too longer for a sucker to come along and pay TOP DOLLAR for used gear ..
And that ship has well and truly left port , long gone .
I have seen the K30 from $380 to $1300 USD ( Just the body ) ... Guess who has lost touch with reality ? ( Again some one fishing for a sucker )
Not sure how long it will take for the used market to catch up to the current price levels ?
But you know something is not right when a used camera is $200 USD more than a new one ...

Anyhow , that was a nice rant ,
Amen to that!